Menu

Need recommendations for Fantasy genre

For magic (but no elves or dwarfs), try David Eddings's Belgariad series. The first book is Pawn of Prophecy. Light, witty, fun.

Oh my, that is my absolute all time favorite series. I enjoyed the Mallorean as well. I just finished reading the Belgariad again. I have the Mallorean in books, but I want something new for my Kindle. I've got some great books to read, but I have to sit in the carpool line at dd14's school for 45 mins. and reading on the Kindle is easier than reading a paperback book.

How about something by Patricia Wrede?

oooh, she has books about dragons! I love dragons. I have a tattoo of one. :) I'll try that first book in the Enchanted Forest Chronicles.

Oh wait, they don't have a Kindle version. Drat!!

Funny, I was just about to suggest this series.

If you want a series for youself and don't mind some weirdness look into, "River of the Dancing Gods".

It works well as a stand alone book, but it is also the first in a series. It is written by Jack L. Chalker so I know it must have odd bits that are not appropriate to kids, but I can't remember what.

River of the Dancing Gods

Joe and Marge, minutes away from death, are rescued and brought from Earth to the magical world of Husaquahr by the wizard Throckmorton P. Ruddygore to battle the forces of Hell itself!

http://www.amazon.com/River-Dancing-Gods-Jack-Chalker/dp/B000NXJZ3M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1347564051&sr=8-3&keywords=river+of+the+dancing+gods

If you want some light fantasy you can try the Xanth series by Piers Anthony. The series is over 36 books long. My husband and I read many of the books to each other before kids, it has been a long time.

The best book to start with is, "Demons don't Dream".

http://www.amazon.com/Demons-Dont-Dream-Xanth-No/dp/0812534832/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347564296&sr=1-1&keywords=Demons+don%27t+dream

The first 20? books or so in the series should be fine for young teens. They do talk about summoning the stork, and panties. But it is an innocent way. (ie. If a guy sees a some panties he gets frozen in place from the shock of it.)

If you want some light fantasy you can try the Xanth series by Piers Anthony. The series is over 36 books long. My husband and I read many of the books to each other before kids, it has been a long time.

http://www.amazon.com/Demons-Dont-Dream-Xanth-No/dp/0812534832/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347564296&sr=1-1&keywords=Demons+don%27t+dream

The first 20? books or so in the series should be fine for young teens. They do talk about summoning the stork, and panties. But it is an innocent way. (ie. If a guy sees a some panties he gets frozen in place from the shock of it.)

I second the Xanth series. Very light hearted, fun reading.

Dwarves, Elves, Light-hearted?

Glen Cook's Garrett P.I. series is a real winner! And I know they have some of them (if not all) for the kindle. First one is Sweet Silver Blues. Very Very funny!

Patricia Wrede is also good. Enchanted Forest Chronicles kill me every time.

Robin McKinley's Damar Books

The Blue Sword

The Hero and the Crown

Have you read Mercedes Lackey? I really like her new Tales of 500 Kingdoms series. I also love the Valdemar series (well the newest one isn't as good, but the old ones are great).

:iagree::iagree:

I love all of these. I'm currently rereading Lackey's Elemental Masters series. She has a series she wrote with Andre Norton - Elven Born, Elven Bred, Elven Bane - that is really good.