Menu

If ds liked Percy Jackson.....

woolybear

It's not like Percy Jackson, it's IMHO better.....

"Thor's Wedding Day".

It's based in the past and is the story of when Thor's hammer got stolen and he had to dress up as a bride to get it back. It's told from the point of view of Thor's goat boy.

Another one, not as good but also covers Norse Myths is, "Odd and the Frost Giants". It's okay but doesn't have the humor and magic of "Thor's Wedding Day". It does make a good short read.

Actually, he was very explicit about wanting something about Greeks or Romans.

Tales of the Greek Heroes, by Roger Lancelyn Green

The Thieves of Ostia (Roman Mysteries series, 6 books), by Caroline Lawrence

Greek Heroes, by Geraldine McCaughrean

Black Ships Before Troy and The Wanderings of Odysseus, by Rosemary Sutcliff (also the Eagle of the Ninth series, same author)

Great ideas. Thank you. I also realized that some of the books I read a few years ago to both kids, maybe my younger ds didn't get too much from them. He doesn't remember Detectives in Togas. I have that and some Snedeker books (A Triumph for Flavius, Lysis Goes to the Play, and Theras and His Town). Once I started looking I found quite a few that we already own. They aren't quite the same idea as Percy Jackson, but I think ds will really enjoy them.

Have all the people who recommend Black Ships Before Troy (here and in other threads) actually read it? BIG flop with my kids - and for that matter, me. And certainly nothing on the Percy Jackson level in terms of entertaining, and in terms of educational - I loved Mary Pope Osborne's Odyssey.

One of my kids liked the Roman Mysteries. (First book - Thieves of Ostia I believe) I haven't read them myself, though.

... (snip)...Mary Pope Osborne's Odyssey.

I recommend these, too. My ds really liked them. Unfortunately, they are very quick reads, so he finished them very quickly.

ETA: here are the links to them: http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Odyssey-Part-Mary-Osborne/dp/1423128648/ and http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Odyssey-Part-Mary-Osborne/dp/1423126106/

• 2 years later...

Reviving old thread...

Since the last book of the second Percy Jackson series is coming out in a few days, I thought I would revive this thread in case anyone is needing or has suggestions for kids that love Percy Jackson and want something to follow it up with (hope you don't mind OP but there were some good suggestions on here. :) ).

OP, can you share if any books worked out as a good follow up to Percy?

Do you or anyone else have additional suggestions for great follow-ups to the Percy Jackson/Kane Chronicles series?  Books that might have some historical accuracy but are set in modern times, like the Percy Books (Greek/Roman Mythology) and Kane books (Egyptian mythology)?  Apparently there are a lot of kids who like that aspect.  Just wondering if you found anything else or if anyone else found anything else like that?

We didn't like them either.  There are better Troy books out there.

Have all the people who recommend Black Ships Before Troy (here and in other threads) actually read it? BIG flop with my kids - and for that matter, me. And certainly nothing on the Percy Jackson level in terms of entertaining, and in terms of educational - I loved Mary Pope Osborne's Odyssey.

One of my kids liked the Roman Mysteries. (First book - Thieves of Ostia I believe) I haven't read them myself, though.

I honestly can't remember what he moved on to. I see that I started this thread two years ago.  I think we never found what he was really looking for.

OP, can you share if any books worked out as a good follow up to Percy?

Do you or anyone else have additional suggestions for great follow-ups to the Percy Jackson/Kane Chronicles series?  Books that might have some historical accuracy but are set in modern times, like the Percy Books (Greek/Roman Mythology) and Kane books (Egyptian mythology)?  Apparently there are a lot of kids who like that aspect.  Just wondering if you found anything else or if anyone else found anything else like that?