Menu

Photo ID for 14 year old - where to get?

This is probably common knowledge for some people but I don't know the answer. My son will be taking two AP exams in the spring but they require a photo ID. Where/how do I get one for him? The only photo ID's I've ever had are school ID (which obviously he doesn't have) or Driver's license (which he isn't old enough for), so I'm kind of at a loss about getting him one.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Thanks all. I guess I just assumed that the DMV only issued photo ID'S for those older than 16. I didn't realize they did them for younger people as well. Based on the list of stuff and knowing how much fun it is to spend half the day at the DMV, I'm glad to tackle this now and not in the spring.

Thanks again,

Non-driver state ID from the DMV. Much cheaper than a passport (unless you are planning to travel and need to get one anyway).

Cheaper, perhaps, but in my state, it is far easier to get a passport than to deal with the DMV. The requirements for getting a DL or other ID, including a renewal, have recently chanced and include an original social security card and about 12 proofs of residence, not to mention a multi-hour trip to the DMV. A passport requires a birth certificate and a trip to the post office, which makes appointments.

Also, OP, there have been several threads on this on the HS board. I believe some have had success with homemade IDs and that some schools will make IDs for non-students.

Terri

Thanks all. I guess I just assumed that the DMV only issued photo ID'S for those older than 16. I didn't realize they did them for younger people as well. Based on the list of stuff and knowing how much fun it is to spend half the day at the DMV, I'm glad to tackle this now and not in the spring.

Thanks again,

Look online for your state's requirements. I just looked at ours and there are slightly different requirements for kids under 18. For instance, a parent or guardian must come with them and give proof of their relationship/identity too.

Just as a little state ID side note:

In order to get a handicapped placard for our car, my disabled dd had to have an ID. So she got her first ID at age 4! I had to hold her up high so they could take a picture with their camera.

LOL, my son works in entertainment and its just easier for him to have state issued ID. He stood on a chair at his appt :)

We got a passport for my then-12 yo. It was easier than the other options and also handy if she should ever need to flee the country. ;)

Terri

:lol::lol::lol:

Before you go to the DMV, check to see if one parent is sufficient. In Hawaii, BOTH parents had to be present for anything ID related for under 18s.

I'm not sure if this kind of ID will suffice but I think Homeschool Buyers Co-op offers a link to print a free ID just for joining (which is also free).

My ds has a passport so I didn't look into it.

This is probably common knowledge for some people but I don't know the answer. My son will be taking two AP exams in the spring but they require a photo ID. Where/how do I get one for him? The only photo ID's I've ever had are school ID (which obviously he doesn't have) or Driver's license (which he isn't old enough for), so I'm kind of at a loss about getting him one.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Agreeing with the state id card. I made appointments online at the DMV when I took my kids. Walk in, get called immediately and go through the process. No hours in line. I also took my dd in last week to get her learner's permit. Again, scheduled an appt. and walked right in and never waited for anything.

Don't know if other states do it the same way. We did have to have their social security cards and their birth certificates.

I've also gotten ids from here in the past. They look really official and I've never had anyone question them.

When we lived in PA, the age limit for ID cards was 16, which never made any sense to me. I just checked and it has since been lowered to age 10. Each state sets its own lower age limit as well as other rules. I'd check my DMV website or do a google search for state ID minor (name of state) before leaving the house to make sure you have your ducks in a row.

I would go with a state ID over a homemade ID for multiple reasons. Although others have used homemade ID's without issue, you don't know that your child isn't going to have a run-in with the AP nazi the morning of the test. That would be a disaster. If you have a child who isn't interested in driving (my second child never learned), a state ID is really handy to have for travel, to use with checks or credit cards, in college, for a job, or anywhere else and ID is needed. That seems to come up more often during their teens.

If you have a child who isn't interested in driving (my second child never learned), a state ID is really handy to have for travel, to use with checks or credit cards, in college, for a job, or anywhere else and ID is needed. That seems to come up more often during their teens.

That's actually a really good point. He has already stated he doesn't want to get his license at 16 and for several reasons we had no intention of letting him even if he was interested. So I guess getting an official ID is a good long term choice even though it will be a pain.

I spent the afternoon investing what it will take to get a state ID. Here's what I get to do:

First I have to get a copy of his Birth Certificate (but I need a driver's license or ID for this - good news is that mine is acceptable or I would be stuck in a loop). But it will take 1-3 months to get unless I want to go and wait in person (which could take 2-4 hours). Then we have to take that, his SS card and MY ID so I can witness his identity to the DMV. It will take hours as they don't take appointments. When I went to renew mine this spring, I arrived 30 minutes before they opened and there was already 20 people in line. By the time they opened there was 50-60. Everyone goes through a check in station and is assigned a letter number combo. When yours is called you go to that window, which window is determined based on the type of assistance you need. By the time I left over an hour later, the waiting room was standing room only and the line outside the door was longer than when they had opened. And I had an easy task, more complicated needs get you stuck there longer. New anything is more complicated that renewing. I will have to take all 5 kiddos with me since the one needing the ID is the only one responsible enough to stay home and watch others. This is NOT going to be fun. At least I know this now and not in April when I will be under a time crunch and have an infant along with the others.

That's actually a really good point. He has already stated he doesn't want to get his license at 16 and for several reasons we had no intention of letting him even if he was interested. So I guess getting an official ID is a good long term choice even though it will be a pain.

I spent the afternoon investing what it will take to get a state ID. Here's what I get to do:

First I have to get a copy of his Birth Certificate (but I need a driver's license or ID for this - good news is that mine is acceptable or I would be stuck in a loop). But it will take 1-3 months to get unless I want to go and wait in person (which could take 2-4 hours). Then we have to take that, his SS card and MY ID so I can witness his identity to the DMV. It will take hours as they don't take appointments. When I went to renew mine this spring, I arrived 30 minutes before they opened and there was already 20 people in line. By the time they opened there was 50-60. Everyone goes through a check in station and is assigned a letter number combo. When yours is called you go to that window, which window is determined based on the type of assistance you need. By the time I left over an hour later, the waiting room was standing room only and the line outside the door was longer than when they had opened. And I had an easy task, more complicated needs get you stuck there longer. New anything is more complicated that renewing. I will have to take all 5 kiddos with me since the one needing the ID is the only one responsible enough to stay home and watch others. This is NOT going to be fun. At least I know this now and not in April when I will be under a time crunch and have an infant along with the others.

Are we in the same state??? That sounds like our offices.

Honestly, it is easier to get a passport. My nephew had a state ID before his license and not everyone considered it valid because some people have never seen one. And if someone won't accept it as an ID, you are out of luck. They don't have to accept it like a license. A passport is more universally recognized.

Same here. Go to the DMV and get a non-driver ID. Bring a ridiculous amount of proof for both you and dc.

I just did one for my daughter in Illinois at the Department of Motor Vehicles. I came armed but all I needed was her birth certificate and my driver's license. Paid $20 and waited 30 minutes in a grungy office but otherwise painless.

Yuck! If you can afford it, I would get a passport instead, especially if there is any chance of an out-of-country educational or mission trip during high school or college.

My two older girls used the homemade student id that I made using the template on Homeschool Buyer's Co-op. I am not sure that would work anymore because of the new, more stringent ID requirements that are starting this year due to cheating scandals.

My two older girls have their driver's licenses now, so they are fine. TX has started issuing photo ids for beginner's permits as well and my youngest will be getting that in May, so I'm not going to bother with anything else for her. She won't need to do any official testing before then because she is just starting 9th grade and definitely won't be taking the PSAT until 10th grade.

Yuck! If you can afford it, I would get a passport instead, especially if there is any chance of an out-of-country educational or mission trip during high school or college.

Eesh, passports are up to $120 for the book and card. Can you apply for the card and forgo the book?

And if someone won't accept it as an ID, you are out of luck. They don't have to accept it like a license.

A state ID card is valid, legal, government, photo identification. People are required to accept it they same way they are required to accept a driver's license for identification purposes. Anyone who doesn't want to accept it should be educated otherwise.

The College Board also has an id form that you can use if you don't want to go the state id/passport route.

I used this method of picture id for my 13 year old when he took the SAT last year. I printed out the form from the College Board website, and took the form, along with a current photo to my public school. The secretary copied the form, along with my son's picture, onto school letterhead. A couple of school officials then signed the form. For us, this was easier than waiting in the endless lines at the DMV.

As others have mentioned, with the stricter id policies, I would not use an id from the homeschool buyer's coop.

A state ID card is valid, legal, government, photo identification. People are required to accept it they same way they are required to accept a driver's license for identification purposes. Anyone who doesn't want to accept it should be educated otherwise.

A relative who doesn't drive and is over 21 showed his state id to the liquor store and they refused to accept it and said it was fake. He was out of luck. Other people have told him a passport is a better id when you don't have a driver's license. Not everyone has seen a state id. That's just the way it is sometimes.

I think the person who refused to accept the state ID was either ignorant or on a power trip. State IDs are very common and in my state, look *almost* identical to a driver's license.

We get our dc a state ID at age 12. It just can't hurt (in our opinion) to have that ID. (Ds18 needed one when he was like 14 or something to ride a train. Plus, having one makes flying domestically easier, too. I'm not sure, do you need an ID to fly? Since my dc already have one, I don't know if we just showed them because we had them or if they were required. :confused: )

I'm not sure, do you need an ID to fly? Since my dc already have one, I don't know if we just showed them because we had them or if they were required. :confused: )

Technically no, minors don't need them. Not yet anyway. But I like to avoid potential problems whenever I can, so the teens that look old enough to drive have them in one form or another. Some airlines are picker about minors who are flying unaccompanied (as in roughly 14yo-17yo who don't have to pay the fee, but don't yet have to show ID).