Menu

Can we discuss the anti-American protests??

Moxie

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I consider Sen. Diane Feinstein and Sen Lieberman to be reputable sources. They didn't imply that it was for political reasons but did say it appeared to be someone in the White House (and that includes the workers on the National Security Council).

Actually, I would consider them reputable but haven't seen this anywhere. Your prior post mentioned political reasons.

Here is a recent article I found about the film maker and costs.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/anti-islam-film-producer-wrote-script-prison-authorities/story?id=17230609#.UFNeB7IiaK8

I highly recommend going to NPR, PBS, or foreign news sources for factual information regarding world events. With the current political climate in the US, as well as the awful lack of substance and trend towards sensationalism, our news seems to have lately I really find that there are few really reliable domestic sources for international affairs. (Yes, I know the source I posted was from ABC!)

:iagree: It seems most American news sources would rather talk about celebrities than actual news, so it can be very hard to figure out what is going on in the rest of the world if you don't go look at other sources. Especially when all we are left with here are the ramblings of pundits on both sides who are at best very biased, and at worst outright liars. :glare:

The question I have is what is an appropriate response? Quite honestly ( and yes I'm sure I'll be flamed) I don't care about their motivation. I'm sick to death of Americans being d*mned if we do, d*mned if we don't. People are angry with the lack of intervention in Syria, but angry over American involvement in Libya. They think Americans are awful for buying oil from these countries, but where would their economies be without American trade? They don't want American involvement in their country but want our financial aid (which we can hardly afford). I am completely sympathetic to the plight of oppressed people but why keep feeding the people that have no hesitation in bitng that helping hand. Where's the line?

:iagree:

The question I have is what is an appropriate response? Quite honestly ( and yes I'm sure I'll be flamed) I don't care about their motivation. I'm sick to death of Americans being d*mned if we do, d*mned if we don't. People are angry with the lack of intervention in Syria, but angry over American involvement in Libya. They think Americans are awful for buying oil from these countries, but where would their economies be without American trade? They don't want American involvement in their country but want our financial aid (which we can hardly afford). I am completely sympathetic to the plight of oppressed people but why keep feeding the people that have no hesitation in bitng that helping hand. Where's the line?

it will continue though, sadly. Why would it stop? And then to have a president apologize for something that made these thugs mad...it just tells them they are right in their deadly tantrum. One should not appologize to those who act uncivilized it falls on deaf ears or fuels the fire.

it will continue though, sadly. Why would it stop? And then to have a president apologize for something that made these thugs mad...it just tells them they are right in their deadly tantrum. One should not appologize to those who act uncivilized it falls on deaf ears or fuels the fire.

He.did.not apologize.

And then to have a president apologize for something that made these thugs mad...it just tells them they are right in their deadly tantrum. One should not appologize to those who act uncivilized it falls on deaf ears or fuels the fire.

Please take the time to check the timeline and review the embassy Twitter feed. This is NOT what happened. Neither the embassy nor the President did any such thing.

He.did.not apologize.

That is CORRECT. He did not apologize, that has been the most insane misrepresentation and distortion of words I have seen in years. No matter what one's political beliefs are, one should be upset about the misquotes and lies implying that he apologized as it just isn't true. And for people who spread it as truth......

I don't know what the answer to the violence is, but surely it isn't to skip the nat'l security briefing and campaign in Nevada.....

So, what's worse, making good decisions after getting and reading the presidential daily briefing document every day, or attending meetings , ignoring the evidence, and then making bad decisions that led to 2 unpaid wars?

Every society—unfortunately including our own—has elements that distort the truth, fuel anger, promote xenophobia, violence and other actions contrary to reason.

Angry people are easy to manipulate, and there are outlets who stoke outrage in pursuit of their own agendas.

The YouTube video is crude and offensive. It is intended to be as offensive to Muslims as possible, and is at least as offensive to those devoted to the cinematic arts.

Are there groups who seize on excuses to manipulate others into violence and hatred? Sure. There are those primed by anger to react to lies and distortions everywhere.

The killing of our Ambassador in Libya was a tragedy. Christopher Stevens sounded like a man who sincerely wanted a better future for the people of the region. I am grateful to the people of Libya, and to Muslims and Arabs worldwide who have condemned the attacks.

Anger, hated, and rage based on lies and distortions of the truth are the enemy of peace and civilization everywhere.

Bill

A person in the embassy made a statement(go look it up) denouncing those that disrespect all religions HOURS before the assault happened.
While at the same time defending their right to do so. How American is that? Edited by nmoira

Another Muslim who clicked with extreme trepidation here. And I am quite sorry that I did.

If you would like to see a Muslim who practices her faith as best she can and condemns senseless violence because of that faith (NOT in spite of it), pm me and we can video chat on skype or something. Otherwise click around the web. Read the Quaran in translation for yourself.

Above all, pray for the hearts, minds and souls of all the people less blessed in their lives than you. And for anyone whose life has been touched by violence.

I'm sorry you've been hurt by this thread. But I honestly don't know how I'm supposed to react. I do not believe these rioters represent the Islam you practice. I believe that IF they weren't living in economically depressed, free countries we wouldn't be having this discussion. But the fact is that they do live in those situations and there doesn't seem to be any way to help. It isn't a lack of respect from our country that has started this and there doesn't seem to be a way to end it.

I mostly read British newspapers to get news of the world and often much better news coverage of events happening in our country too.

This is so true! Foreign news is so much more NEWS based than American news. There are tabloids everywhere, but their news is a separate thing from them. I get so much more information on American stories from the British news. That's where I first saw the people in Libya who support the US, and then again later on the German news. On the American news (NBC, ABC and CBS all air back to back) it's all gloom and doom and sensationalism. It's so weird to see the difference. Yes, the Europeans show all the bad stuff, but they balance it out.

I'm so sad this is happening. I'm sad for the people it is happening to, but also for the people who will feel the repercussions of these actions, even though they had nothing to do with them and do not support them. Sadly, it taints the view people have of Muslims in general. I know many Muslims, and the are kind, peaceful people, who have no wish to harm Americans.

I think it is so important to remember that just as the media and leaders in other countries can show only what they choose of the populace, our country deals with the same thing.

It seems to be human nature to separate into us vs. them, to look towards our perceived enemies as the cause of our problems, and to fear what we don't understand. Our leadership, in this country has been feeding these fears for years, can you imagine what it would be like in a country where it is much more blatant and hard line?

Poverty, oppression, extremism, and violenceonly create more of the same especially when combined with lack of education and unbiased information

This has been true throughout history and seems to be a lesson that we as humans never learn.

Moderation is so sorely needed, on all sides, and from all fronts, and in every nation and culture.

I would like to offer a sincere and virtual hug to those whom this thread, and the all too common prevailing prejudice and fear affect. :grouphug:

Another Muslim who clicked with extreme trepidation here. And I am quite sorry that I did.

As-salamu alaykum,

I am also sorry I clicked this thread. It's disheartening, even when offset by posts from kind and knowledgeable people. For others, the most generous thing I can say is that they sound like they are frustrated and wish they could solve the problems.

From what I have heard over the last couple of days, it seems there is growing pains and mis information.

Growing pain are occuring as these countries are adjusting to a new normal. The people of Libya have taken to the streets to reject the violence of a small group of people. As the people of Libya continue to stand up to the thugs, things will improve for everyone. Likewise, as Egypt allows peaceful protest yet takes a stand against violence, the government will gain maturity. (Didn't we have the some growing pains when we broke away from England?)

I saw an interview with "the man on the street" where protestor claimed that the film came from the US government and claimed it was illegal in the US to make derogatory remarks about jewish people. I was shocked by the wrong ideas they have about the US.

I agree with Osmosis Mom. The access to the internet will help dispel misinformation about the US and the Middle East and is the best hope for peace.

I was lucky enough to make a couple of good Muslim friends when we lived in married student housing for my husband's graduate degree. I'm a Mormon and the Mormons and Muslims got along really well as we shared similar values and such. I feel that truly getting to know others of different faiths, backgrounds, ethnicities is one of the best way to see multiple sides of an issue.

One of my friends was from Pakistan and she said that one of the issues with radical extremists in her country is that it's not uncommon for those who are poor and especially illiterate to have never read the Quran. Thus, people are led by their leaders without perhaps even knowing the basic tenants of their religion, just those taught to them by their leaders.

One of my friends was from Pakistan and she said that one of the issues with radical extremists in her country is that it's not uncommon for those who are poor and especially illiterate to have never read the Quran. Thus, people are led by their leaders without perhaps even knowing the basic tenants of their religion, just those taught to them by their leaders.

Before James Bond deployed, there were several mandatory classes he had to take, several taught by Afghan's, and this is one point they brought up. It honestly never occurred to me, though I suppose it should, that there are people who have not read the Quran due to illiteracy or oppression, and simply believe what their religious leaders told them. I suppose the closest thing I can think to compare it to would be medieval Europe, where very few had actually read the Bible, while the rest simply believed what they were told. It was honestly shocking to me, in my literate bubble, as it were, that this same thing could be happening today. I think better education might be a way to help with this problem. How that would happen though, I don't know. It just makes me...I don't know the word, a mixture of angry and sadness maybe, that so many people view the US the way they do. We are so far from being a perfect country, but we're not what we're often portrayed to be. Again, I don't know how this could be fixed either as many countries' gov't's control what people see and do use propaganda (and yes, I know the US has done and still does the same) to create a view they want their people to have.

Urgh. This is all so upsetting. I'm worried about my friends at the embassy in Africa. I'm worried about the people in all the embassies. I'm worried about the common person who has nothing to do with this, but might get painted with the same brush as the protestors. I'm worried about the innocents who are getting hurt. I'm worried about the military in the regions. I'm worried we'll get involved in yet another war. I'm sick of war. I've been sending JB off to war for 11 flipping years now, and I'm tired of it. I'm tired of the stress and the worry and the not knowing. I just want us to get along. Sigh.

The following appeal is from the Orthodox Christian Patriarchate in Antioch.

http://www.antiochian.org/sites/antiochian.org/files/letter_of_patriarch.pdf

Yes, but what does this link have to do with the family who left Syria because of persecution? Sunni Muslims - the majority were persecuting them? I have never heard such a thing. Sunni muslims have been persecuted themselves and tortured etc. for going to the mosque or meetings or growing a beard, but that was by the regime that we are wanting to get rid of.

I'm so tired of this . They are there. Just look and listen. That may mean you have to go outside your sphere of news. Try the BBC, AlJazeera, Mosaic news, democracynow.org, PBS, and the newspapers of major cities outside the US. Just because the major networks here aren't covering it does NOT mean they aren't there.

People in Libya have been out for two days now denouncing what happened. Islamic organizations here in the US have been sending ME press releases all day long denouncing what happened. Yesterday we had a vigil ourselves http://www.necn.com/searchNECN/search/v/62518207/slain-ambassador-remembered-at-cambridge-peace-rally.htm?q=vigil and NYC http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/384475/20120914/libya-vigil-new-york-city-syria-flag.htm?page=all and tonight several other places as well as over the weekend.

Diversify your news sources, at least if you want to be taken seriously here.

I'm sorry you've been hurt by this thread. But I honestly don't know how I'm supposed to react. I do not believe these rioters represent the Islam you practice. I believe that IF they weren't living in economically depressed, free countries we wouldn't be having this discussion. But the fact is that they do live in those situations and there doesn't seem to be any way to help. It isn't a lack of respect from our country that has started this and there doesn't seem to be a way to end it.

There isn't a way to help overnight, but there are ways to help.

One, is fully educating yourself on modern history, foreign policy, and the political wrangling that has led to so many world problems.

We can educate our own children to not only accept, but to respect the faiths of others and to learn about them from unbiased sources.

And we can support reputable effective groups and organizations working to hold up the women and children in oppressed areas.

Women who are safe, educated, food secure, and have a way to provide for their children are much less likely to have children who turn to gangs, fundamental violent religious sects, or other groups who prey on the fear and anger of their members.

I honestly believe that too many still think people in the middle east are somehow still living in medieval times, and seeing modern cars , universities,and cell phones, etc comes as a surprise.

Yes, and how many "ironic" (meaning, attempting to be ironic) photos have you seen of a muslim woman in a headscarf using a cell phone or computer, as if there's something incompatible. I am positive I've seen dozens of these.

Yes, but what does this link have to do with the family who left Syria because of persecution? Sunni Muslims - the majority were persecuting them? I have never heard such a thing. Sunni muslims have been persecuted themselves and tortured etc. for going to the mosque or meetings or growing a beard, but that was by the regime that we are wanting to get rid of.

I was hoping it would be helpful to share a timely perspective from the leader of Orthodox Christians in Syria. He was born in Syria and has been the Patriarch of Antioch since 1979, but we won't see him on the evening news. And it's important to me for others to see a Christian perspective that is rarely noticed, because, I guess, it's not provocative or sensational enough to be newsworthy or debate-worthy.

In peace and hope,

Yet many christians believe that God does hate gays (or at least their acts), but realize that the signs and their protests are an extreme.

I am disturbed by these events, so I not interested in dragging this thread further off topic by further debating the soundness of my comparison. It was an example, not a beginning thesis.

I've been following this news all day. I had hoped to hear from some more from our Muslim members on this issue. I fear if this turns into an all Muslims are bad, Americans are all good, they won't comment at all.

I never said all Muslims are bad, I simply think that Sharia law as it is practiced in many countries are bad. I believe that this was a mob that was easily manipulated by the leaders of terrorist groups, and part of the problem is that these terrorist leaders are supported by corrupt governments and Islamic leaders who also promote radical Sharia law.

I do not hate Muslims, but we can't afford to be naive about the nature of the dangers facing the world in the Middle East. I have several family members who have served in the Middle East, some in high ranking positions, and you can not boil problems like this down to a few misguided extremists. It is much deeper than that.

I do respect the majority of the Muslim population, which is peaceful. But, there are extremists in positions of real power, and there is real danger involved. Simply electing someone who tries to be respectful to the Muslim faith isn't going to change a thing, because the majority of peaceful followers of Islam didn't hate America to begin with, and the radicals who profess to hate America will hate us no matter what we do.

I also realize that there are Christian extremists as well, but they are not in a position to rule over the country, like many extremists now do in the middle east. That is why it is an issue we need to look at. It is not about Islam, it is about security.

What is the solution? Make sure our embassies are guarded with actual Marines, that is the job of the Marines and I would rather have them guarding our soveiregn soil (which an embassy technically is) than in Afghanistan or Iraq.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2203332/Elite-marines-sent-Libya-security-ramped-embassies-globe.html?ITO=1490