Menu

Can we discuss the anti-American protests??

Moxie

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt (they just won elections there) and radical muslims across the ME. By scapegoating the US via some lame youtube video and inflaming feelings of religious outrage they weaken the liberal reformers within their own countries. The losers in this situation are democratic and liberal minded political parties trying to find a seat in their government. To the arab street liberal reformers are tools of American colonialism - and Americans insult Islam - therefore they are not legitimate muslims.

The riots are also an expression of diminishing American influence in the ME. They sense weakness and attack. Not very complicated really.

one thing that I have considered is that some people in these countries that have no freedom assume that our nation works like theirs. If a video comes out, the government sanctioned it in their nation. However, in a free country, you can make stupid videos, put it out on the Web with no fear of reprisal. Therefore, many of these people may assume that our government sanctions the idiocy of these types of videos, since that is the way that their nation works.

one thing that I have considered is that some people in these countries that have no freedom assume that our nation works like theirs. If a video comes out, the government sanctioned it in their nation. However, in a free country, you can make stupid videos, put it out on the Web with no fear of reprisal. Therefore, many of these people may assume that our government sanctions the idiocy of these types of videos, since that is the way that their nation works.

:iagree:

From my understanding, many of these people believe this is a propaganda film that has been widely watched in the US.

I've heard that the attack had been long-planned for the 9/11 anniversary, but they used the movie as an excuse.

The movie itself seems to exist solely to cause controversy. Original reports said that it was made by a Jewish Israeli-American, and funded by Jewish backers. Now it's come out that the film maker is actually an Egyptian Coptic Christian using a fake name (and he seems to have a history of running a few scams). He made the movie on an obvious shoe-string, and has been pushing it for almost a year but nobody has really noticed or cared. I mean, the internet is FULL of anti-Islamic (and anti-semitic and anti-Christian and anti-everything) propaganda, so why this and why now? IMHO it was a calculated move on the part of a crazy person to incite a war in the middle east, though it has probably not panned out the way he expected.

Yep, that's what I think.

Although I find it pretty weird (not comical, that doesn't seem like the right word) that the govts. are asking that the movie makers be punished. Apparently they don't understand the concept of free speech.

Who is asking for that? I did hear that they guy was in hiding.

I agree with those who find the timing of this a bit suspect.

From my understanding, many of these people believe this is a propaganda film that has been widely watched in the US.

I do think there is limited perspective about different people's importance or impact. So that that Jones guy, who has like a dozen followers, ends up having waaay more influence than he deserves.

killing of Osama bin Laden and the anniversary of 9/11. The movie is just an excuse.

From what I have been hearing, the attack on the Libyan embassy was well planned (so obviously planned in advance of this video being posted). In the Libya case, it wasn't just some rioters that got out of control. The attacks in other countries seem to be springing up spontaneously as a result of the first one.

As far as I know, no one knows who posted this video, although I see a pp said that it may actually be an Egyptian. Seems a little convenient for that video to come out on 9/11 to provide an excuse, doesn't it?

Also interesting how almost all of the protestors are young men. I keep thinking don't you people have families to care for and jobs or schools to go to?! But I guess they don't and that is no doubt part of the problem. I am so busy with my life that I don't have time to worry about what someone halfway around the world is saying about my religion.

This was discussed on the Diane Reems show this morning on NPR. Many of these people find it difficult to believe that our government wasn't involved or didn't sanction it. In their countries that's just how things work.

I do think there is limited perspective about different people's importance or impact. So that that Jones guy, who has like a dozen followers, ends up having waaay more influence than he deserves.

Yes! We dismiss his idiocy but how are others outside of this country suppose to understand?

From what I have been hearing, the attack on the Libyan embassy was well planned (so obviously planned in advance of this video being posted). In the Libya case, it wasn't just some rioters that got out of control. The attacks in other countries seem to be springing up spontaneously as a result of the first one.

As far as I know, no one knows who posted this video, although I see a pp said that it may actually be an Egyptian. Seems a little convenient for that video to come out on 9/11 to provide an excuse, doesn't it?

Also interesting how almost all of the protestors are young men. I keep thinking don't you people have families to care for and jobs or schools to go to?! But I guess they don't and that is no doubt part of the problem. I am so busy with my life that I don't have time to worry about what someone halfway around the world is saying about my religion.

That is so true. I really don't understand the mindset.

Seems a little convenient for that video to come out on 9/11 to provide an excuse, doesn't it?

I heard on some news report (I think it was CBS news last night, but I can't say for sure) that the video had been on YouTube for a couple of months mostly unnoticed. Until some extremist talk show host on Al Jazeera (sp?) mentioned it a few days ago.

It does seem to me that the attack in Libya must have been well planned. I doubt your average protestor even in a country like Libya carries around rocket propelled grenades. It may be sheer luck that the protests occurred at the same time and provided such good cover.

Edited by Pawz4me

These are organized protests. In Egypt, they seem to have been directed by Al Queda. The attack in Libya has nothing to do with any video, it has to do with 9/11 anniversary and apparently a drone killing of a Libya AL Aqueda guy earlier this year. This youtube clip is being used as an excuse in these countries. The participants are the usual rage participants- young Muslim men who probably don't have jobs and are easily goaded into violence. In the various countries this is going on, it is for various political purposes such as to inflame passions about some supposed insult to deflect anger about unemployment and general poverty.

These are organized protests. In Egypt, they seem to have been directed by Al Queda. The attack in Libya has nothing to do with any video, it has to do with 9/11 anniversary and apparently a drone killing of a Libya AL Aqueda guy earlier this year. This youtube clip is being used as an excuse in these countries. The participants are the usual rage participants- young Muslim men who probably don't have jobs and are easily goaded into violence. In the various countries this is going on, it is for various political purposes such as to inflame passions about some supposed insult to deflect anger about unemployment and general poverty.

Exactly.

From what I understand this is one of the huge problems in the Middle East. The unemployment of young people is very high. These young men have nothing productive to do and they are angry about that . . . and the US may be a convenient scapegoat at this time. Initially, the protests that overthrew Mubarak were in part because of the unemployment issues and dissatisfaction and frustration of the young adults.

The way the video is being attributed to "jewish backers" makes me think of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion hoax... which arguably led up to the holocaust.

There was a really good book written about the fear of offending muslims and how it affects freedom of speech/ the press-- "Surrender" by Bruce Bawer. It was the first thing I thought of when all this hit the news.

From what I understand this is one of the huge problems in the Middle East. The unemployment of young people is very high. These young men have nothing productive to do and they are angry about that . . . and the US may be a convenient scapegoat at this time. Initially, the protests that overthrew Mubarak were in part because of the unemployment issues and dissatisfaction and frustration of the young adults.

Unfortunately, this is an international problem right now. Unemployment is up all over the world, and there are many, many young men with too much time on their hands. China is scared stiff of this issue, and IMO the US should be too.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

The news was showing/interviewing people in the Egyptian mob - they kept saying things like "I can't believe the American President allowed them (the movie producers) to make that film and portray him in that way".

All I could think is -- WOW, they really don't get it. How sad to have NO SENSE of personal freedom and assume every decision is run by the government.

Yes, it is sad, but their behavior is inexcusable on every level. I believe the "protests" on 9/11 were an organized front for the assassination.

What rational/sane person storms an embassy and causes that type of violence because of a MOVIE - even if it was "sanctioned" by the U.S. government.

I truly thank God I was fortunate enough to be born in the USA. Sure, we have our share of nuts here - but NOTHING like that level of insanity!

I don't know what the answer to the violence is, but surely it isn't to skip the nat'l security briefing and campaign in Nevada.....

The news was showing/interviewing people in the Egyptian mob - they kept saying things like "I can't believe the American President allowed them (the movie producers) to make that film and portray him in that way".

All I could think is -- WOW, they really don't get it. How sad to have NO SENSE of personal freedom and assume every decision is run by the government.

Yes, it is sad, but their behavior is inexcusable on every level. I believe the "protests" on 9/11 were an organized front for the assassination.

What rational/sane person storms an embassy and causes that type of violence because of a MOVIE - even if it was "sanctioned" by the U.S. government.

I truly thank God I was fortunate enough to be born in the USA. Sure, we have our share of nuts here - but NOTHING like that level of insanity!

I don't know what the answer to the violence is, but surely it isn't to skip the nat'l security briefing and campaign in Nevada.....

Which is why some people during the Arab Spring were saying that these people really weren't fighting for freedom or democracy. I truly think they have no concept of that. Their culture is so different that it is hard to understand. Seems like all they do is trade one dictator/hardline government for another.

I keep thinking that maybe this is part of why some Americans don't seem to care about what is happening in Syria. Some people figure all the sides of the conflict hate us regardless. We helped in Libya and they murder our ambassador. This will just give those people more backing for their point of view. So sad all the way around. :(

Which is why some people during the Arab Spring were saying that these people really weren't fighting for freedom or democracy. I truly think they have no concept of that. Their culture is so different that it is hard to understand. Seems like all they do is trade one dictator/hardline government for another.

I keep thinking that maybe this is part of why some Americans don't seem to care about what is happening in Syria. Some people figure all the sides of the conflict hate us regardless. We helped in Libya and they murder our ambassador. This will just give those people more backing for their point of view. So sad all the way around. :(

This isn't all Libyans though. It is an extremist group. And there are Libyans out right now protesting against the violence as well.

:iagree: It was on the German news earlier and they were showing huge crowds of people holding signs thanking America for their help and stating that they did not hate America.

I wish they would show it more on our news. It would give people here a different perspective! I haven't seen any of that here but I've only caught bits and pieces so that might not be saying much.

There is a very wide culture gap here.

It's not "just a movie." Depictions of Mohammed (even favorable ones) are forbidden lest someone be tempted to worship him. So depictions of the prophet that are also insulting are enraging (idolatry on the depiction of the prophet plus blasphemy at the insult to Islam.)

I don't know how to bridge that culture gap. Our freedom of religion and their fierce, visceral defense of their beliefs; our tolerance of virtually any form of speech and their controlled societies. It's two very different ways of looking at the world.

The protestors of the violence in Libya also don't see it as "just a movie." It's more like on the level of spiritual terrorism to the religious sensibilities within the culture. So some may fight insult and injury without violence; others see violence as the equivalent of what was done to them.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jtes/12-phot...gizing-to-amer

So, from a strictly US cultural grid, it could look "insane" because that would be a logical interpretation in our cultural context; to them, the allowing of the movie is a horrible evil perpetrated against them. I am not defending the violence any more than the people in the photos. However, we'll never get past it if we don't make genuine efforts to understand other cultural reasoning and not write the other side off. Sift that through a cultural context that also contains strong memories of European colonization or Euro-American interference, unstable governments, and high unemployment.... extremist organizations agitating...

News is that the hit on the Libyan embassy was planned and used the protests as cover for a 9/11 operation.

Edited by Laurie4b

My question (which is going in a slightly different direction) is whether there are plans to ramp up the military security in embassies and consulates in dicey planes.

I know the US is sending marines to Libya in specific, but I would be really worried if I had someone I knew working in an embassy or consulate anywhere in the region or even beyond. I gather there is a convention to rely on local security, but that's one thing in a developed country and another thing in these places that are on the verge of being failed states.

I feel bad for everyone who died, but they have focused on the dead ambassador and he seemed like a wonderful man. It is so painful to read how little security he had with him.

Many of the countries where these protests have sprung up have poorly functioning economies with a rate of youth and general unemployment so high as to make our recessionary high of unemployment here look like full employment/boom times. One of the factors that radicalized some of the population is sheer economic desperation.

No culture likes their God mocked- but there are reasonable reactions to do. For heavans sake - the muppets had Whoopi Goldberg as the Christian God in one of their Christmas movies! And I am sure there have been MUCH worse depictions - I just try to distance myself from it.

I get what PP was saying about it not being "just a movie". Personally, I think it has nothing to do with the movie- but for them to even claim it is ridiculous - b/c at the endof the day,it really is JUST A MOVIE, kwim?

Many of the countries where these protests have sprung up have poorly functioning economies with a rate of youth and general unemployment so high as to make our recessionary high of unemployment here look like full employment/boom times. One of the factors that radicalized some of the population is sheer economic desperation.

Perhaps this is true, but I saw quite a large number of iphones/ipads in the hands of protesters (they were taking photos/video). This is all the empoverished masses. Perhaps if "economic desperation" is their reason for radicalization, they should drop the data plan.

Also interesting how almost all of the protestors are young men. I keep thinking don't you people have families to care for and jobs or schools to go to?! But I guess they don't and that is no doubt part of the problem.

Yes, and did you know that unemployment rates among the college educated are vastly higher in Egypt compared to everyone else's?

Perhaps this is true, but I saw quite a large number of iphones/ipads in the hands of protesters (they were taking photos/video). This is all the empoverished masses. Perhaps if "economic desperation" is their reason for radicalization, they should drop the data plan.

It's hardly that simple. There are also a lot of students and the like. Students who may not expect to fin work and students from the leisure class/elite. I did not say that all of the protesters were impoverished. But the economic conditions caused by their government structure and other, global forces means that for some of the population people are more likely to have a lot of time on their hands.

Digital devices helped trigger and further many revolutions and uprisings in the region.

My question (which is going in a slightly different direction) is whether there are plans to ramp up the military security in embassies and consulates in dicey planes.

I know the US is sending marines to Libya in specific, but I would be really worried if I had someone I knew working in an embassy or consulate anywhere in the region or even beyond. I gather there is a convention to rely on local security, but that's one thing in a developed country and another thing in these places that are on the verge of being failed states.

There already is quite a bit of security at US embassies and consulates- they certainly don't rely solely on local resources to keep people safe. In fact, the security at many embassies and consulates can be stifling. The State Department tries to balance keeping people safe and not keeping its employees isolated from the country they are trying to work with. It isn't easy and they're not always successful.

There already is quite a bit of security at US embassies and consulates- they certainly don't rely solely on local resources to keep people safe. In fact, the security at many embassies and consulates can be stifling. The State Department tries to balance keeping people safe and not keeping its employees isolated from the country they are trying to work with. It isn't easy and they're not always successful.

That may be true elsewhere, but apparently not there.

Marines not allowed live ammo:

http://www.examiner.com/article/report-says-u-s-marines-cairo-not-allowed-to-carry-live-ammunition

I've heard that the attack had been long-planned for the 9/11 anniversary, but they used the movie as an excuse.

The movie itself seems to exist solely to cause controversy. Original reports said that it was made by a Jewish Israeli-American, and funded by Jewish backers. Now it's come out that the film maker is actually an Egyptian Coptic Christian using a fake name (and he seems to have a history of running a few scams). He made the movie on an obvious shoe-string, and has been pushing it for almost a year but nobody has really noticed or cared. I mean, the internet is FULL of anti-Islamic (and anti-semitic and anti-Christian and anti-everything) propaganda, so why this and why now? IMHO it was a calculated move on the part of a crazy person to incite a war in the middle east, though it has probably not panned out the way he expected.

Isn't it funny the different reports of who made the film are. In Australia we are hearing that the movie was made by fundamental Christians in America, with a film budget of $5 mil.

Isn't it funny the different reports of who made the film are. In Australia we are hearing that the movie was made by fundamental Christians in America, with a film budget of $5 mil.

:ohmy: You have got to be kidding. From what I understand, it isn't even an actual movie, but a 14 minute youtube video that was dubbed.

I am so busy with my life that I don't have time to worry about what someone halfway around the world is saying about my religion.

I also think this may be more a reflection of your life than other people's. You are talking from a position of safety. It makes me think a bit of white people who think black people worry too much about racism, because after all, they (the white folks) have never encountered anti-black sentiment, so what's all the fuss about.

That may be true elsewhere, but apparently not there.

Marines not allowed live ammo:

http://www.examiner.com/article/report-says-u-s-marines-cairo-not-allowed-to-carry-live-ammunition

I believe Fox started that rumor about Cairo and has since retracted it.

http://nation.foxnews.com/us-embassy-attack/2012/09/13/reports-marines-not-permitted-live-ammo#ixzz26NjBs82m

It's hardly that simple. There are also a lot of students and the like. Students who may not expect to fin work and students from the leisure class/elite. I did not say that all of the protesters were impoverished. But the economic conditions caused by their government structure and other, global forces means that for some of the population people are more likely to have a lot of time on their hands.

Digital devices helped trigger and further many revolutions and uprisings in the region.

I'm sorry if I seemed to imply yousaid they were impoverished - that wasn't my intention.

My point was - I can "get" uprising if you have no food/water/shelter and are the verge of starvation - I still don't like it, but I can understand that pov.

However - regardless of your "class", you can't cite "economic conditions" as your reason for such violent behavior if you can still afford to carry an iphone, kwim?

No doubt the economics stink there (and pretty much every where right now), but it isn't economics - these aren't the poor -these are people who hate America, plain and simple. We can try to make ourselves feel better by saying its b/c they are struggling economically, but it's not. Those violent protesters just hate us. They could all be given $1million and they would STILL hate us.

It is refreshing to see the coverage of the pro-American Libyans. I don't think they ALL hate us - but those hundreds/thousands of VIOLENT PROTESTERS hate us and want us gone. Nothing in the world- no amount of money, aid, talking, dipolomacy will EVER change it. Just my opinion.

I respectfully disagree. There was NOT adequate security in this case.

From this Huffington Post article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/12/j-christopher-stevens-ambassador-to-libya-killed_n_1876544.html

[A] Libyan politician who had breakfast with Mr. Stevens at the mission the morning before he was killed described security, mainly four video cameras and as few as four Libyan guards, as sorely inadequate for an American ambassador in such a tumultuous environment. “This country is still in transition, and everybody knows the extremists are out there,” said Fathi Baja, the Libyan politician."

And

No Marines had been assigned to protect the consulate in Benghazi despite the known presence of al Qaeda-linked groups there, he confirmed.

So it really does not matter whether the Marines had real bullets or not because there were no Marines to begin with.

Edited by KatherineTheGreat

I respectfully disagree. There was NOT adequate security in this case.

No, there obviously wasn't. I was responding more generally to a question about security at embassies in the region and whether they solely relied on local security. Marines are not the only source of protection available to embassies.

It's obvious things were not handled well at all, but that doesn't mean that the only solution is to provide a larger US military presence at US embassies and consulates.

I am ready to explode with my thoughts on this, but I can't post them because they would be too political. I just wonder, is their "god" so impotent that they have to defend him with all this violence every time someone says anything they consider derogatory about their religion? I thought Islam is supposed to be a "peaceful" religion. :glare: Where are the peaceful Muslims speaking out against the violence?

I am ready to explode with my thoughts on this, but I can't post them because they would be too political. I just wonder, is their "god" so impotent that they have to defend him with all this violence every time someone says anything they consider derogatory about their religion? I thought Islam is supposed to be a "peaceful" religion. :glare: Where are the peaceful Muslims speaking out against the violence?

This is not about all Muslims, this is about extremists. Further up in the thread it was mentioned that German TV is showing video of those who are supporting America.

It's like saying the church-who-shall-not-be named that protests at funerals is a true representation of American Christianity.