Menu

How often do you get your teeth cleaned?

How often do you get your teeth cleaned?  

1. 1. How often do you get your teeth cleaned?

• Cleaning twice a year, and yes, we have dental insurance
    • Cleaning once a year, and yes, we have dental insurance
    • Cleaning twice a year, no dental insurance
    • Cleaning once a year, no dental insurance
    • What is a dentist?

How often do you get your teeth cleaned? And do you have dental insurance?

DH found out this morning that he needs an implant...and of course dental insurance doesn't cover that. Whenever you have something happen when it would actually be nice to have insurance, they don't cover the procedure.

In fact, I think this is the formula dental insurance companies use to determine coverage:

• Less than $100, they cover 100% (except for nitrous oxide)
  • $100 to $1000, they cover 50%
  • More than $1000 - you're on your own, baby!

We never had dental insurance when I was a kid (for the same reasons I'm thinking of dropping it now - it's a waste of money), but we only got our teeth cleaned once a year. I never got my teeth cleaned twice a year until I met dh and that seems to be the standard with dentists (an easy way to double their business?).

None of our children have had cavities, and the only extras we've paid for them have been getting molars sealed and two extractions to help the new teeth come in right. DH and I have both had crowns and such, but dental insurance is always so lame when these things come up, and it makes me mad every time.

So is dental insurance worth the cost for the little you get out of it? Could we skip it and only go once a year for cleanings instead of twice? What thinks the Hive?

IMHO it's really not. Even with insurance, it cost me $90 to get my 4 year old's teeth cleaned! I got mine cleaned 5 years ago. I went recently for a cleaning and instead, they checked my gums, told me I had really incredibly cared for teeth but wanted $2800 to do some gum scraping before they'd clean my teeth. Ummmmm no. And that was after insurance. I am of the firm belief now that dentistry is far overpriced and a lot is snake oil.

Once-a-never. We've never had dental insurance and it's just not in the budget.

My Dad went yesterday. He had called first to ask how much a cleaning is and set up the appointment for a cleaning ONLY. He was told $90 - to have his teeth cleaned (!!!). Then the hygenist called in the dentist for no reason at all, who looked at his teeth for 2 minutes, and the bill ended up being $137. He feels like he's been scammed - ripped off. But if he changes to another dentist, he can't go get a cleaning done without having all new x-rays done first. New dentists usually won't take the old x-rays for some reason.

Twice a year; we have dental insurance. It's part of a medical benefits package at dh's work. It partially covers other dental work: crowns, cavities, wisdom tooth extraction. We're using it up this month: 4 of 5 getting cleanings and one getting 3 wisdom teeth pulled. The wisdom teeth are still going to cost us a bit, about 50% of the total.

Sil's family has never had dental insurance; they pay out of pocket. They all have great teeth so they just pay for cleanings. I'm not sure how often they go, though.

We have dental insurance that provides for two cleanings per year, for each of us, free (no co-pay).

I take my kids in once a year, most years. I like having them at least SEEN once a year as they're growing.

I don't go at all as I don't care to have my teeth cleaned LOL. I go in every 4-5 years to have my implants checked, usually when the dentist's office manager starts bugging me about how long it's been since I've come in for myself and not just the children :)

I absolutely think you could go down to one cleaning every 12-18 months, especially if you have a fairly benign medical history and are good about staying on top of hygiene/checks at home.

We do not have dental insurance but we all get our teeth cleaned twice yearly.

I've had periodontal problems in the past which I'd rather not repeat. Poorly maintained teeth can lead to other health problems and more expensive procedures later on. So, we go diligently. I hate paying that bill, but we manage it.

It would depend on how much my insurance coverage cost out of pocket. I remember when I was working debating not having dental insurance, but at the time the cost was minimal to me so I took it.

I don't remember how much we currently pay through dh's work, but for a family of 5 we felt it was reasonable as we all have our teeth cleaned twice a year. I've had two kids get a cavity and I think our out of pocket portion was about $25 or $30 each. When I had my crown earlier in the year we paid about $350 which was half so the benefit has been worth it for us.

Every 6 months. We pay nothing out of pocket for cleanings and sealants, and cavities are covered at 80%. Major work (i.e. the crown i need) is covered at 50%. Yes, it's worth it for our family.

:iagree: We pay less than $20/month for our entire family. That covers two cleanings per person per year and a significant discount on any dental work. Also, our policy has orthodontic coverage and our oldest is currently in braces.

I grew up getting cleanings twice a year as well.

:iagree: We pay less than $20/month for our entire family. That covers two cleanings per person per year and a significant discount on any dental work. Also, our policy has orthodontic coverage and our oldest is currently in braces.

I grew up getting cleanings twice a year as well.

Wow. We get no orthodontic coverage, and they will pay nothing toward my husband's implant (root canal that got infected).

Braces are running us about $5,000 per person -- three people down, one to go.

We go for cleanings twice a year and did so even when we didn't have dental coverage. The coverage through dh's work is well worth the small cost. Dental insurance doesn't help as much as medical insurance, but it has been very nice in the past couple years for my multiple crowns and root canals.

No dental insurance. Our entire family goes to our local comm college's dental hygienist school clinic once a year for cleanings, which also include Xrays when needed, and inspection by a great dentist.

It takes all afternoon, but we're helping the hygienist students improve their skills. Around $30 per family member. We now have total confidence in the program & they would point out any problems that require followup by a regular dentist (or orthodontist).

We have insurance that covers 2x a year, and I LOVE the feel of my just cleaned teeth.......

But I only go once a year. Okay, once every 16-ish months.

Maybe when the kids no longer have to stay with someone or come with me I will go more frequently. As is stands now I have great teeth and cleanings are less important than school work to me. The kids and DH get cleanings 2x/year like clockwork, but I find theirs are much less of an imposition to my plans.

I have no dental insurance. I only go once a year for a cleaning. It costs me $120 and includes x-rays.

I went twelve years only doing cleanings. I had no cavities. Now in the last five months I have been five times and spent $2278.00

$715 for a root canal

$900 for a crown

$3??.00 for two wisdom tooth extractions

$ 332. for two fillings

$120. for a cleaning.

I am so thankful for care credit. I put all my dental charges on it. If I pay it off in a year it is interest free same as cash.

We had dental insurance. It covered...almost nothing. Cleaning once a year was covered. Have a cavity? They will pay for the filling. The silver, not the white. Dentists here won't do the first. They covered no pain management. That is not actually needed. (Well, most of the time it actually isn't. People just like it.) They find a reason to not cover pretty much everything else.

I have my teeth cleaned about every five years. Then, I might go back for a couple of years yearly. Then, I get a poor hygienist and end up getting up from the chair and walk out. Every time I do go, they comment on what great shape my teeth and gums are in. How incredibly clean they are. I don't do anything special; just brush. Usually just once a day. Personally, I think over brushing causes more problems than not brushing at all! :lol::D:tongue_smilie: I am pushing that 5 year mark again. I probably should find a new dentist...

I guess I forgot to mention our insurance is $80 a month. It costs $55-110 per visit for the kids. $110 or so per filling (which is rare, luckily). My kids go every 6 months because they love it and I find cleanings semi-important for them. They do not get fluoride, I just want them to be comfortable with dentistry instead of terrified, like me (I have reason from past procedures). In IL, Medicaid will pay to have teeth removed but not cleaned most of the time. I hear some people find a dentist who will, but I never have.

I go every 3 months because of damage to my gums. We have insurance, but it only covers 2 visits a year, so we pay out of pocket for the other 2. DH also goes every 3 months.

The kids go twice a year.

Our insurance covers 2 cleanings a year. It also does partial coverage on any dental work, but I'm not sure about the specifics on that. We also have some coverage for braces.

Edited by Rhonda in TX

I agree on the snake oil thing.

My kids and husband go 2x a year. It is covered 100% with insurance. I just hate going so I don't.

Same here. :D I feel pretty guilty about it though. Does that count for something?

I hate having the edges of my gums poked. The dentist always want to do that. Cannot stand that feeling, and I do not have gum problems.

We have insurance that covers 2x a year, and I LOVE the feel of my just cleaned teeth.......

But I only go once a year. Okay, once every 16-ish months.

Maybe when the kids no longer have to stay with someone or come with me I will go more frequently. As is stands now I have great teeth and cleanings are less important than school work to me. The kids and DH get cleanings 2x/year like clockwork, but I find theirs are much less of an imposition to my plans.

I take my kids to a pediatric dentist so they all go at the same time. Then dh and I also go at the same time, kinda. We schedule two appointments back to back - I arrive when he is through and he drives the kids home while I stay and have my teeth cleaned. He uses sick leave and we get the last two appts of the day.