Menu

Spelling Woes

MiniBlondes

I bought Spelling Power. I didn't give myself enough time to read it, nor do I really have time to read it. I did the placement tests and I've been using the flow lists so far but I feel like I'm just kind of failing altogether.

Should I switch to a different program? If so, I need it to be open and go and inexpensive. Ideas?

If you're ok with Christian content, R&S Spelling is easy to get done each day and open and go. All I have to do is give a test at the end of the week. The workbooks are self-explanatory for the child. Also, it's inexpensive. Grades 2 and 3 are under $11 for TM/workbook combo, grades 4+ are under $15.

If you're ok with Christian content, R&S Spelling is easy to get done each day and open and go. All I have to do is give a test at the end of the week. The workbooks are self-explanatory for the child. Also, it's inexpensive. Grades 2 and 3 are under $11 for TM/workbook combo, grades 4+ are under $15.

:iagree::iagree:

Another vote for Rod and Staff Spelling. My average/good speller does very well with it. It is VERY inexpensive and very open-and-go. We just have her do the pages, discuss them and write the words 3x each using either crayons, the dry erase board, pencil, or markers.

A warning, that the 2nd grade book is a very basic intro to spelling. The 3rd grade book picks up a little and the 4th grade book is where it really strengthens into a full phonics based, challenging spelling course.

I thought it was kind of lame last year when I used the 2nd grade book but here are my thoughts in retrospect:

1. Is a 7-8 year old really ready for more than ten words? What if they learn some basic words, and learn to study and apply themselves and feel confident and happy about spelling? That's ok with me.

2. A 2nd grader is usually still studying and reviewing phonics. Therefore, keeping spelling simple is wise.

3. Kids really seem to click with spelling closer to 4th grade. So, the gentle 2nd and 3rd grade books make sense.

Spelling Power can be daunting at first. I've been using it with my DD for about four years, though, and it has been pretty painless. I don't follow the program exactly. Although I'm sure I read the manual through up front, I don't remember it all. Here's what we do:

First, I made up a spelling dictionary using the blank pages in the back of the book. One for each letter.

First Day DD copies the flow list into the spelling dictionary.

Next day we do a quiz. If she misses any (which she doesn't all that much because she's a natural speller) she writes it in the test booklet and goes through the 10 steps/writes a sentence with it.

Repeat.

When she fills up a page in the spelling dictionary we use the spelling time to cut the page apart and alphabetize it.

I totally ignore the rules listed at the beginning of each list because they seemed complicated and not necessarily completely true (plus she was only 5 when we started, so it was easier to just memorize the list.)

I have the activity box to use when we have a particularly stubborn word. It has some fun ideas in it, but honestly I've only used it a few times.

I wouldn't completely give up on it yet since you spent the money. It's really not too complicated. Plus I'm pretty sure there's a quick start section in the manual that can help you expedite things.

Good luck!