Menu

Admitted/accepted wording help?

Wildcat

Can someone help me? Ds just received an "admitted" e-mail from his first pick uni. Yay! :D

However, I'm wondering about the choice of wording.... "you've been admitted". I thought it would say "you've been accepted".

When I log on to my son's "mypage", it tells about choosing housing, dining options, applying for financial aid, and registering for classes.

Someone tell me we aren't committed to this uni?!

While this is ds' first choice, we need financial (scholarship) info from this school and the other schools he applied to before we make a decision, so I'm a bit in knots over here. *insert biting nails emoticon*

Help? :bigear:

No worries, admitted is typical language. Many colleges offer "admitted student visits" where students who have been admitted but have not yet committed to attend can have another look at the school. Unless he applied under "binding early decision" you aren't committed - and even then there is an out if adequate financial aid doesn't come through (not an easy out, but it exists).

I almost forgot CONGRATS!

No worries, admitted is typical language. Many colleges offer "admitted student visits" where students who have been admitted but have not yet committed to attend can have another look at the school. Unless he applied under "binding early decision" you aren't committed - and even then there is an out if adequate financial aid doesn't come through (not an easy out, but it exists).

I almost forgot CONGRATS!

Thanks Barbara. I was hoping it was typical. Ds also received acceptance to his 3rd choice this afternoon (he hasn't applied to 2nd choice yet, but will complete everything this weekend!), and they used "acceptance" and "admitted" in the same notification. Neither school (both state schools) had anything other than "click here to apply", so I'm guessing they don't have any binding options. This process is so confusing! :tongue_smilie:

Thanks again! It has been an exciting day! :D