Menu

Longshot: If you have IC, what are your favorite meals?

DD33 (stacey) has IC* and I will be staying with her and her husband for a few days beginning tomorrow.

I know that she cannot have anything acid-y or citrus-y --and I want to be able to prepare them some meals for the week and leave them in their freezer.

Would you be so kind as to share your IC meal ideas and hints? Thanks

*Interstitial cystitis (IN-ter-STISH-ul sis-TY-tis) — or IC

My sis has had IC for about 15 years. She knows which foods are her personal triggers. If your daughter has had it for a while, I would talk to her about which foods she *really* has to avoid. The general list of foods that a person with IC should not eat is LONG! (And yes, I think acidic foods are a no-no for most IC patients. Orange juice, pop, pizza sauce etc. I'll ask my sis if she has anything else to add)

I agree with Bensmom, it really depends on her trigger food. I have had IC for many years and can now tolerate things I couldn't before because of meds I've been on. Your best bet is to go for plain food with not much seasoning. Chicken, rice, potatoes are pretty safe bets. Tomato sauce was always a trigger for me when I first was diagnosed.

You are such a sweet mother to think of food for her. I've had IC for a couple of years, and I've still not figured out any pre-made/freezer type meals that I can eat. IC is such an inconvenience. Your best best would be doing something like roasting a turkey or a chicken that she can eat for a couple of days. Cook it pretty plain, no black pepper or onions. I cook mine with a little salt, herbs de provence and carrots and celery. But as PP's mentioned it is a very personal disease and what one person can eat will give another person a horrible flare.

My sister said that she found the cookbook on ic-network.org to be very helpful. She also mentioned that artificial sweetners (except Splenda) and corn products are common triggers.

That is very thoughtful of you to make freezer meals for you daughter. I hope you find some things she can enjoy!

My sis has had IC for about 15 years. She knows which foods are her personal triggers. If your daughter has had it for a while, I would talk to her about which foods she *really* has to avoid. The general list of foods that a person with IC should not eat is LONG! (And yes, I think acidic foods are a no-no for most IC patients. Orange juice, pop, pizza sauce etc. I'll ask my sis if she has anything else to add)

I agree with Bensmom, it really depends on her trigger food. I have had IC for many years and can now tolerate things I couldn't before because of meds I've been on. Your best bet is to go for plain food with not much seasoning. Chicken, rice, potatoes are pretty safe bets. Tomato sauce was always a trigger for me when I first was diagnosed.

You are such a sweet mother to think of food for her. I've had IC for a couple of years, and I've still not figured out any pre-made/freezer type meals that I can eat. IC is such an inconvenience. Your best best would be doing something like roasting a turkey or a chicken that she can eat for a couple of days. Cook it pretty plain, no black pepper or onions. I cook mine with a little salt, herbs de provence and carrots and celery. But as PP's mentioned it is a very personal disease and what one person can eat will give another person a horrible flare.

My sister said that she found the cookbook on ic-network.org to be very helpful. She also mentioned that artificial sweetners (except Splenda) and corn products are common triggers.

That is very thoughtful of you to make freezer meals for you daughter. I hope you find some things she can enjoy!

I can do 'plain.' ;) Thank you so much -- They are likely coming home from the hospital tomorrow and i will arrive at their house tomorrow -- I can get ideas from her and read the link you provided tonight. I do know that it is a kind of individual thing -- that much i have learned from her. And, when she isn't pg, she is on medication for it - and i understand her meds are effective - but her diet is still a big concern.

Thank you all again.:grouphug: