Menu

Thinking ahead to Christmas -- What "school supplies" are on your list?

Aludlam

Aside from a varied assortment of books and reading materials, I just added these two games to my wish list.

Roots Rummy for Latin and Greek Roots

Bananagrams for fun

and one more thing that I just added recently, this Cat And The Hat book in Latin. I don't want to spend $20+ though and would rather get it as a "gift" come Christmas time.

I was thinking about this last night, and need to write it down so I don't forget.

I want to get a watercolor how to book or kit of some sort for my older. Then I was thinking that younger might benefit from a Draw Write Now type of book. So I am putting those on my to buy list.

***if anyone knows of a good watercolor book for beginners, please post it. I have no idea where to start. WTM just says there are lots available.

10 days in .... board games

***if anyone knows of a good watercolor book for beginners, please post it. I have no idea where to start. WTM just says there are lots available.

More* 10 days games

What are 10 days games, never heard of these before?

I, too, would love a recommendation for a beginning watercolor book. I've tried one of two from the library but wasn't too thrilled with them.

Art supplies - this year it is woodworking or metal working supplies

More Horrible History and Horrible Science books

another 10 Days game - (we have Asia, Europe, and Africa)

Do Schleichs count as school supplies? They have to, right?

How about a bow? Because my girls are getting archery sets for Christmas this year. Shh. Don't tell them.

I love these threads too. This year I'm thinking about getting

*living nature books and guides

*more FIAR books to add to our family library

*art books

*art supplies

*audiobooks

*another set of pattern blocks and accessories

*piano books

*sewing items for dd8

*educational games

*felt food for dd1

*quiet book for dd1

I told our girls that they weren't getting any 'toys' (from us and we don't do Santa Claus) for Christmas since they can't keep their room clean.

I actually started saving up for Christmas 2 months ago so my Christmas budget is bigger this year. Most years it's pretty slim.

Me too!

I'm sticking to an extremely tight budget, unlike previous years when I had a large budget for Christmas...so I need some frugal fun ideas!

I know my kids all love Legos. So I might hit eBay for some. Not sure what else.

:iagree: Me, too. My parents do buy the kids some more expensive items, though.

Horrible Histories book

Joe Kaufman's Earth Sciences book and/or Horrible Geography book

Where on Earth is Carmen SanDiego? TV series

Disney's Science Imagineering DVD

Disney's American Presidents: Civil War DVD

Edited by sagira

I'm trying hard to cut down on toys, unless they're somehow educational... like another K'nex educational set.

Also looking at the Beast Academy 3C and 3D Guidebooks... we don't use it as curriculum but he likes to read them. And yes, he'd consider that a treat, LOL!! Possibly a Ticket to Ride expansion pack, more books.

He's asking for a pottery wheel, but I have *no* idea where we'd set that up or use it. :confused: He's taking a ceramics class now, maybe I can talk to the instructor to buy him sessions of studio time to use the one at the art studio?? Have to ponder that one...

I did see this one and it's got good reviews for the price: http://www.amazon.com/MindWare-Multi-Speed-Pottery-Wheel/dp/B005QCFJ0I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1347733387&sr=8-2&keywords=pottery+wheel Hmmm....

Edited by SunnyDays

With all of the Scholastic eBooks we have purchased I think we are due for a laser printer! The kids will be getting the Magic School Bus DVDs, so maybe some fun science things to go with that. I am going to try the Charlotte Mason method of having the kids learn a craft, so once they decide what they want to learn I will probably purchase some supplies for that. All of these other suggestions look great too!

• 2 weeks later...

Lego robotics Mindstorms set (if I can figure out what to get)

Snap Circuits

Art supplies

Looked up snap circuits tonight, touched off by the thread the mentions them, and my mind was blown by the "what others bought" section on Amazon. My 8 yr old is always bugging to "invent" something and I haven't known where to start. He wanted me to take him to the dump to collect parts (as if he would magically know how to put them together). Somehow I thought there would be a better resource. Thank goodness I was right. :lol:

What educational stuff is on everyone else's Christmas lists??

Art supplies - this year it is woodworking or metal working supplies

More Horrible History and Horrible Science books

another 10 Days game - (we have Asia, Europe, and Africa)

Do Schleichs count as school supplies? They have to, right?

How about a bow? Because my girls are getting archery sets for Christmas this year. Shh. Don't tell them.

Nodding head, yes, it counts!

It counts because that's what MY little girls are getting. :P

Daniella & Olivia - Schleich animals and I think new blocks.

Sarah - Felt stuff

Abigail - CD player and something lovely on CD - open to suggestions. Ikea's small Billy bookcase

Tim - Story of the World 2 on CD (This has been an ongoing thing for him and he loves books on tape.) Legos DH will come up with something awesome - he always does.

Rebecca - Prismacolors, art supplies, more Draw Write Now books, Ikea's small Billy bookcase

Elizabeth - Ikea's small Billy bookcase - otherwise NO idea. She loves clay and scrapbooking????

Christian - camping gear, possibly science kit? or robotic Legos. I know he'd love it, but sigh, I hate buying pointless carp.

Ana - Ideally? A laptop. We'll see. Another bookcase, again THIS year.

DH is actually getting a bonus in December this year for which we are VERY thankful. However, we've also found it is going to be significantly reduced from it's usual happy little amount that covers all of Christmas. And then, of course, the government would like half. So, hoping here that the bonus will cover all of Christmas to include a laptop for a sweet little certain teen-age daughter who would be THRILLED with it. Oh, and all episodes of Downton Abby - does that count as school stuff???

Dh made me this last year for the little girls to "work" on for their projects:

122511201314.jpg

It has been the best thing EVER. Now I'm trying to think of another project.... Puppet Theatre maybe for Abigail and Sarah??

I'll be checking back in for ideas. It occurs to me the season is coming up QUICKLY!!!! ACK!

Edited by BlsdMama

This is the year of the animal for us. Each kid will be doing a lapbook leading up to christmas about a particular animal, what they do not know is it will be fortelling their gift.

First off, I am adopting an animal for each child through WWF. If I have enough funds I will also be naming a star for each of them. They have asked for each before and having certificates mounted instead of new toys feels better to me.

Lastly each child will be getting a pet based on teh lapbook they did. DS14 will be getting a corn snake, DD13 a hedgehog, DS9 a guinea pig, and DD4 fish. These are all animals we have discussed having as a family for years now. The corn snake we are getting from a colubrids breeder near here, the rest will be from pet stores.

We are trying to clear stuff out, so I didn't want to bring more toys in, and our game closet is jam packed full. In the livingroom renos I have been planning a whole section for caged animals so all 4 new pets would be contained there.

Animals in an of themselves are not specifically school related, but with 1 kid planning to be a vet, and another talking of being a vet tech or working in an animal rescue place the variety combined with the lapbooking, and reading I require after a new pet enters the home (I have everyone reading as much as possible about the proper care of the pet), as well as the responsibilities gained makes it sort of fit the school theme.

So far,

Planet Earth on BluRay when it was on sale at 1saleaday

State Park patches for their stockings (they collect them for the parks we visit and I got them one that just says MN State Parks)

Thinking of buying/suggesting to the relatives:

Samsung Galaxy Players (like and ipod touch for Android)

more playmobil (the Egyptian set, others?)

legos

What's in the Bible DVD seires (might suggest to MIL)

Bow for dd1?

Art Gallery Calendar

Living Books Press Aesop's Fables

Billibo seat (I found one at Goodwill, could use another one)

Beeswax crayons

Rush Hour game (although maybe not if we buy the players since there is an app of it)

Monkey Balance Board (dd2 had PT this summer and this would further strengthen her ankles)

To make:

MP3 player case if we go that route

DH to build a rocking horse

DH to build a refrigerator for their play kitchen

Sash for their badge collection (like Russell in UP)

This is what I have so far...I'm still working on it!

origami paper

Lyra giant colored pencils

Prismacolor pencils

cooperative board games (Snowstorm, Gridlock, etc.)

Bananagrams

Not really school supplies, but they want more Webkinz. They spend ours coming up with Webkinz games and crafts...maybe it would fit with school supplies. :lol:

Our list seems to be growing by the day. Thank God for grandparents who look forward to helping with the boys education.

So far we plan to get:

Microscope

Slides

Dissection kit

Legos, Legos, and more Legos

Johnathan Park audio book

Snap circuit green

Magic school bus new DVD series

Nook Tablet or some sort of tablet (possibly)

Oldest want a bow and arrow(not sure)

Board games

:iagree: Me, too. My parents do buy the kids some more expensive items, though.

My in-laws are so over the top with Christmas for the kids. So they will have PLENTY!

I think I've decided on alot of fun things for the kids! Pinterest has been helping me!! I've decided to bust out my sewing machine again. I'm also allowing my creative juices to flow and help me. PLUS I've finally realized that my kids don't care if something they get is from a second-hand or thrift store as long as it's "new" to them! :) I'm so blessed to have kids with this opinion!

I've hit the CLEARANCE school supplies and picked up post its, highlighters, mini notebooks, erasers...ect to help build my dd7's stationary kit I'm making her for Christmas.