Menu

Fundraisers

----

I expect to get hit up for school fundraisers every year. I'll buy a few candy bars, maybe a popcorn tin, a raffle ticket or two, but a mattress? Yesterday was a first. One of the grades at the middle school are selling mattresses to raise money for a trip. Is this becoming the new norm? Any off the wall fundraising items where you live?

My policy (more of a reflex now) is Just Say No to everything except popcorn. And ummm, mattress fundraisers ... for real? ... mattresses for humans?

I think people are buckling down on the "trinkets' fundraisers, so schools and other organizations are having to get more creative. On the other side, businesses are seeing that fundraisers are a great way to move product to people who might not otherwise buy (same tactic as MLMs, really) but feel guilted by relatives or neighbors. :D

I think people are buckling down on the "trinkets' fundraisers, so schools and other organizations are having to get more creative. On the other side, businesses are seeing that fundraisers are a great way to move product to people who might not otherwise buy (same tactic as MLMs, really) but feel guilted by relatives or neighbors. :D

What are MLMs?

Not to rain on the creative-paths-for-profit parade, but I think they should just ask if they can have $1 to away. Very high margin and low overhead.

What are MLMs?

Not to rain on the creative-paths-for-profit parade, but I think they should just ask if they can have $1 to away. Very high margin and low overhead.

Multi-level marketing

Oh, I agree. We usually make a donation, because I just don't need any more candles or magazines. :D My favorite, even more, is when the kiddos *work* for the money (car wash, leaf raking, etc.)

Geez. Tupperware is a much better fundraiser than mattresses.. Mattresses?!

We had someone suggest (in all seriousness) an "adult toy" company fundraiser for a sports team (and said that she did lots of kids' fundraisers). It was declined but I couldn't help but wonder whether the kids were meant to go door to door, or sell to family or... :ack2:

Geez. Tupperware is a much better fundraiser than mattresses.. Mattresses?!

We had someone suggest (in all seriousness) an "adult toy" company fundraiser for a sports team (and said that she did lots of kids' fundraisers). It was declined but I couldn't help but wonder whether the kids were meant to go door to door, or sell to family or... :ack2:

The adult toy sellers are the same as Pampered Chef, Avon and Tupperware ladies. They sell from their catalog. When they do a fundraiser they do catalog sales by having the parents check their site/catalog for purchases and then donate a percent of the sales to the group. You can usually book a party from them too.

I would NOT want to be in charge of the money and ordering. I really do NOT want to know what the other parent/s do behind closed doors.l

YUCK.

Dawn

The adult toy sellers are the same as Pampered Chef, Avon and Tupperware ladies. They sell from their catalog. When they do a fundraiser they do catalog sales by having the parents check their site/catalog for purchases and then donate a percent of the sales to the group. You can usually book a party from them too.

I would NOT want to be in charge of the money and ordering. I really do NOT want to know what the other parent/s do behind closed doors.l

YUCK.

Dawn

But it's just like Pampered Chef. You turn your order in to the PC consultant or put it in online. No one is going to know what you order but your own consultant.

Now if you get a lot of money, you do know you have pretty randy bunch of parents in your group! However you wouldn't know who got what! LOL!

Uh-huh. Ok. And just how would one send their children around with that flyer? I know, when my SIL used to do Tupperware fundraisers a few years ago, there was a catalogue, as well as the option to order through their fundraising link online.

Call me old-fashioned but I think having U11 girls peddling goods that arrive in "discreet wrapping", regardless of how they do it, vulgar.

Wow. That's a first. :001_huh:

A few years ago, we just started saying 'no' to all the fundraisers. I hate to do it, but there are 250 houses in my subdivision and probably 80% of them have kids in them who go around with their booklets. All that knocking/doorbell ringing (which sets the dog into a barking frenzy!) is annoying, and who do I decide who I do and don't buy from? I never want any of their stuff anyway, and I hate giving cash. It adds up to quite a bit.

It annoys me to no end. Band this, cheerleading that, and on and on. I can't stand it!

Add to the "back to school" fundraiser pleas the ongoing/yearly ones from boy scouts, girl scouts, football teams, baseball teams, etc, and the "college kids" with their magazines or book sales, and I just want to lash out at all of them. I don't, but I want to. :tongue_smilie:

Uh-huh. Ok. And just how would one send their children around with that flyer? I know, when my SIL used to do Tupperware fundraisers a few years ago, there was a catalogue, as well as the option to order through their fundraising link online.

Call me old-fashioned but I think having U11 girls peddling goods that arrive in "discreet wrapping", regardless of how they do it, vulgar.

:iagree: That sort of thing should be for "adult parties", not for school fundraisers.

They aren't meant for the kids to sell. I'm pretty sure you knew that.

And I'd rather have something 'fun' than wrapping paper, candy and bad popcorn! Something useful and not fattening!

I expect to get hit up for school fundraisers every year. I'll buy a few candy bars, maybe a popcorn tin, a raffle ticket or two, but a mattress? Yesterday was a first. One of the grades at the middle school are selling mattresses to raise money for a trip. Is this becoming the new norm? Any off the wall fundraising items where you live?

yeah, the mattress sale was happening Saturday at one of the local schools. I've never heard of it before. Weird. We went through town and there were all these kids with signs that said "Buy a mattress!"

Yep, we see it here every year. Pretty common.

I have never heard of selling mattresses as a school fundraiser. My local school sells daffodil and tulip bulbs every fall as a fundraiser, which I usually support. I say no thank you to the donuts, popcorn, candy, etc.

My nephew attends ps in CO, and they asked for straight cash donations last year to buy a new math program.

My nephew attends ps in CO, and they asked for straight cash donations last year to buy a new math program.

I would support that!

Our local school (I read the board meting minutes :D) has teachers asking for replacements for their 30 year old boosk to no avail, but the PTA fundraisers are paying for new Keurig machines for the teachers' lounges and playground equipment. :001_huh:

I didn't eve realize before, that we were going to a fundraiser today for lunch!

The really good BBQ place does fundraisers often. The kids hand out a flyer. You take your flyer (and they ususally have more where you stand in line to order) to the resturant. You hand in your flyer when you order and the kids get 25% of the cost of your meal.

It is a place we eat at and enjoy. I had figured today would be an eat lunch out day. Would we have eaten there for today if not for the fundraiser? Maybe, maybe not. We could have gone anywhere, but chose their today to help support my neighbor's cross country team.

Those kinds of fundraisers I am willing to support. You are supporting the business who is willing to support the team.

They aren't meant for the kids to sell. I'm pretty sure you knew that.

And I'd rather have something 'fun' than wrapping paper, candy and bad popcorn! Something useful and not fattening!

Uh, no... No I did not know that. In fact, the flyer (with the team name on it)is "less risqué" but features flavored body glitter, etc. Should the parents take that to work? Or is it just for US to order, so we can all sit around being creeped out by the massive funds raised? No, it's just yucky.

Mattresses are just inexplicable, though. Who thought of that, I wonder?

The mattress one was done at our local school this year. Seems bizarre. How often do people buy a new mattress? The high school did one through the ford dealership too. They got $20 or $25 for every person who did a test drive of a new ford.

Last year I was president of my kids elementary school PTO. (talk about a big change to suddenly homeschool this year, but my eyes were opened to the tradgedy of public schools) Fundraising was difficult but a necessary evil. My parting suggestion since I was homeschooling this year was a walk/run a-thon. Low costs, physical fitness, and the straight up donation at least was matched by the kids doing something. Last I heard the new PTO was going to try it.

I didn't eve realize before, that we were going to a fundraiser today for lunch!

The really good BBQ place does fundraisers often. The kids hand out a flyer. You take your flyer (and they ususally have more where you stand in line to order) to the resturant. You hand in your flyer when you order and the kids get 25% of the cost of your meal.

It is a place we eat at and enjoy. I had figured today would be an eat lunch out day. Would we have eaten there for today if not for the fundraiser? Maybe, maybe not. We could have gone anywhere, but chose their today to help support my neighbor's cross country team.

Those kinds of fundraisers I am willing to support. You are supporting the business who is willing to support the team.

We have a local family that owns several restaurants in our town that does this too. We ate a lot of burritos last year for DS18's project grad fundraiser nights.

Coming up soon we have a tex-mex fundraiser for 4H with 20% of each ticket being donated. I eat there anywhere so I might as well support our organization.