Menu

Help Me Decide!

kolamum

I'm going to be in the US shortly & I want to pick up school supplies while I'm there. I've got nearly everything worked out, but I'm still debating LA for my rising 4th grader.

I'm torn between:

Simply Grammar by Karen Andreola. He's a slightly immature 4th grader on the lower age range of it due to when his birthday falls. I'm okay with that. I like the look of this book & it seems right up our alley.

Winter Promise LA. I look at this now & again & always wonder about it. The theme for a 4th grader would also be right up his alley, as it's all detective & spy. He'll be doing WP this year as a gap year {Animal Worlds} & possibly a bit of CAW either that or he'll do Core & Core F of SL next year. Anyway, the point is I'm ordering from them all ready..

So tell me about these two items if you've used them & what you liked & didn't like. I'd also like to know if there's sentence diagramming in the WP LA, I didn't think there was with the Simply Grammar, but if I'm wrong correct me please! :D

Haha, does this mean I have to be the guinea pig?! I'm actually considering ordering both while I'm there so I can return the one I don't want/won't use.

From the samples, WP looks more meaty where as the SG looks a bit more gentle. I'm all for more meaty for sure, but I really don't want sentence diagramming. I've never had to return anything to WP & not sure how that'd work, I suppose I could call & ask the questions though, they've always had good CS for me. :D

Hmm, I wonder if a bookstore near where I'll be staying will have the Simply Grammar book so I could look through it. :laugh:

Oh my goodness.

When I was homeschooled Mom used R&S with me. I still have nightmares over it. Plus, my husband thinks I speak alien when I diagram sentences for him or use words like past participle. To my knowledge children aren't made to diagram sentences in Australia & I really don't plan to teach my children. :lol:

Well, we have done WP LA3 only. Ds liked it, I just tend to always look for more things. At that time, it was a schedule with writing prompts with additional workbooks (before Scout came on the scene). I do have WP LA5 PG + worksheets currently waiting in the wings, but not yet started. I'm waffling between SL 3 + WP5 mostly planning to use the creative writing prompts/ dictation of SL. We use R&S for all grammar already.

not much help... but IMO, WP is not strong enough to stand alone for my 5th grader. I would recommend a separate grammar program and add this to it.