Menu

Does anyone here have a Kindle DX?

LoveBaby

I have an iPad that I bought mostly to be able to read the 100's of ebooks that I have as PDF's. Of course, it does a lot of other cool things, but mostly I wanted to be able to read PDF's in a more comfortable way than on the computer. Now that I have it, the backlighting bothers my eyes for extended reading. Checking facebook and message boards is one thing, but trying to read a book is entirely different. I much prefer the eInk for reading.

The regular size Kindle doesn't handle PDF's well at all, IMO. The landscape mode feels odd and the print is too small in regular mode.

Does the Kindle DX work better for PDF's? What if they have pictures on them? Is the formatting good or wonky? I have heard differing reports, especially if the pdf's are graphic heavy.

I had one for about a month for that very reason. The PDFs looked much better than on the regular size kindle, but the thing was stinking heavy and kind of awkward to hang on to, of course this was before ipads came out so I'm not sure how the size of the DX and Ipad compare. I love my ipad for my PDF teacher's guides, but if it's a book I prefer my regular kindle (I don't read PDF books on it though)

I have a DX that was given to me a couple years ago. I am wholly ignorant of all but the most basic features on it though so I don't know if I can be of help. I really just utilize it for the ebooks I get off of Amazon. It IS heavy but I read from it every night while lying in bed. I am not even sure how I would check PDFs on it. How sad is that?

I did this very thing. I had a bunch of pdfs I wanted to view more easily. I have been very happy with it. I love that it automatically switches to landscape mode simply by turning it. For me, it was a good decision.

Do the PDF's you use have a lot of graphics? Have you ever found the formatting wonky on the DX?

I am seriously considering selling my iPad and purchasing a DX if it means that I can read all of these amazing PDF's that I have in an easier way. The other thing about the iPad that makes it hard to read is every time I start reading, I come across something and think "I need to look that up" and off I go switching to Safari to google something...never to go back to reading the book in the first place! :lol: There are so many other "toys" on the iPad that it is distracting to me...