Menu

How to get smoke out of a mattress?

I posted a while back about getting a bedroom set for my dd free from the neighbor. Said neighbor smokes & I thought it was only outside the house but the mattress still smells like cigarette smoke.

I've had it airing in my garage for a week. It has improved slightly but no where near enough.

What else can I do to get the smoke smell out? Baking Soda? Activated Charcoal?

ETA: Pitching it and buying a new one simply isn't an option, as the funds as not there and won't be. I'll be sleeping on it not my dd most of the time.

Edited by frugalmama

I too would toss it. I got a china cabinet from my grandmother 10 years ago, and to this day it smells like smoke. It is at my parents' house now, because even after setting it outside for months we could not put it in our home.

Setting it in the sun might help some, but it will not get rid of the chemicals that are attached to the mattress.

Even if you get rid of the smell, I'd be concerned about potential health effects, especially since people spend a lot of time sleeping relative to other activities.

There is info coming out that lots of nasty compounds linger in third hand smoke:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aTVcuy71TmGE

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40704560/ns/health-addictions/t/toxic-chemicals-linger-long-after-smoker-moves-out/#.UFE6IkRXjcE

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/03/health/research/03smoke.html

I would try to suck the smoke particles out with a vacuum attachment.

But since I am the one in our house allergic to tobacco smoke - it triggers asthma attacks for me - I would not even be able to consider bringing it in the house, and if I had a child with this reaction to tobacco smoke, I would not bring it into the house either. One of us would sleep on a yoga mat before we would have a smoke-saturated mattress in the house.

I posted a while back about getting a bedroom set for my dd free from the neighbor. Said neighbor smokes & I thought it was only outside the house but the mattress still smells like cigarette smoke.

I've had it airing in my garage for a week. It has improved slightly but no where near enough.

What else can I do to get the smoke smell out? Baking Soda? Activated Charcoal?

ETA: Pitching it and buying a new one simply isn't an option, as the funds as not there and won't be. I'll be sleeping on it not my dd most of the time.

No. Pitch it.

No. Pitch it.

:iagree:

Even if you take the smell out, it will still be full of carcinogens. And you would be SLEEPING on that, breathing in those carcinogens all night long.

Yeah, that mattress would never step foot in my house. I would be sleeping on the floor, an air mattress, the couch- something-anything, other than that mattress. Ewww.