Menu

SIL is considering bringing 1st grade niece home. Curric suggestions?

QuirkyKidAcademy

SIL is a small business owner, so she needs an open-and-go curriculum. Niece is motivated and bright. This may very well be a one-year deal as the object is to get her out of a classroom where the teacher is bullying her and the principal refuses to move her. Next year niece will probably go back to brick-&-mortar school.

I've encouraged SIL to have her do lots of reading and solidify her math skills while she considers curric options.

What math programs would you suggest she look at? Phonics?

What about other subjects? Are they necessary? If so, which subjects and which programs should she look at?

(I am a certified teacher, but my son has some learning differences. I spend a great deal of time detailing lessons to fit him; something SIL is unable to do. I am also 1200 miles away and can't sit down with her to go over things in person.)

Thanks for any and all help!

If there's a good chance she might end up back in Bricks and Mortar, does her district offer a virtual academy which might make life easier?

Are they religious? If so, which religion?

How much time does Mom have each day?

Does she need something scripted or just planned out?

What's her budget?

Is she reading yet? Here's my standard first grade line-up that I don't think would cause problems when returning next year.

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading (if she's not reading yet)

First Language Lessons 1

Writing With Ease 1

Writing Fundamentals

Math Mammoth 1

Spelling Workout A & B

That would be my core to start with. She could always add in science and history, but she won't miss out on much of that in first grade.

Or she could just do something like this to start out with and see how it goes.

I've encouraged SIL to have her do lots of reading and solidify her math skills while she considers curric options.

What math programs would you suggest she look at? Phonics?

:iagree:

I recently learned about Liberty Mathematics. I haven't used it, but I'd really like to get a better look at it! It looks like a perfect preparation for Saxon 54, as an alternative to the scripted and teacher intensive Saxon 1-3.

According to her mother, niece is reading well. I doubt if SIL knows if she's ahead of the curve or not though.

If there's a good chance she might end up back in Bricks and Mortar, does her district offer a virtual academy which might make life easier?

Are they religious? If so, which religion?

How much time does Mom have each day?

Does she need something scripted or just planned out?

What's her budget?

Mississippi has no virtual anything. That would definitely meet the criteria though! Is there a good online academy for that age?

Christian but not religious/don't attend church (but probably not averse to using cc materials)

Scripted would be best in this instance.

Budget - I'm not sure, but I'd guess a few hundred dollars if necessary.

Thanks for the other suggestions! I'll have her look into those too.

Edited by TammyH
Because adverse and averse get me every time!

I feel like I need to make this very clear so that y'all can give the best advice for the situation: this is the 5th child. SIL has entrusted them to the public school system, and for the most part, it's worked fine. This is a mom who is desperate to help her daughter who is being mistreated (from all that I hear, of course). She knows absolutely not one other soul who homeschools. She will have all day with niece but only in 10-15min spurts for real instruction. SIL can listen and work while niece reads aloud or does math, but the actual 1:1 will be short spurts.

Whatever she uses needs to be simple to implement just because she doesn't have any background to draw on and little time to put into planning. It is *not* the ideal homeschool scenario, but it will be worlds better than where that sweet girl is right now.

My oldest is doing first. She spends about an hour total with seat work. FLL, WWE, AAS, independent reading, and handwriting can all be done in short bursts of 5-10 minutes depending. Our math with SM usually requires half an hour. It may be different for her. BUT, I wonder if it'd be possible to do math as "homework" after the business day is done? Lots of audio books (maybe even SOTW on audio) and lots of play. Maybe invest in time4learning and/or dreambox math.