Menu

Apologia Science VS Switched on Schoolhouse

sabrina

they did not like it - lots of mistakes in answer keys - found they had to just go back and check it for themselves - other negatives as well - can't remember them right off -seems lessons were not challenging, and kids found it boring. However, talked with a friend yesterday who used it this past year - conceded that there were a number of quirks, but that they had worked out some previous bugs. Overall she was pleased with the curriculum - her children are self-taught - she is returning to work this past week (one reason she chose SOS fyi).

Hope this helps!

We are going to use SOS Science. The kids like it so far. I have one using it in grade 3. The other is using Gr 8 and we will continue him through high school. 8th and 9th grade seem to cover biology...and the other grades cover chemistry etc. Take a look at the scope and sequence.

We need it because its independent. Both my dh and I now work full time. SOS is a blessing for us. We could not do Apologia without being right there and hands on...and Our son wouldn't enjoy it. The new 2008 edition is supposed to have many bugs worked out...so I will be buying it for this fall.

I have used SOS science 6th, 7th, and 8th grade. I have not used Apologia General Science, but have used the Biology, Chemistry, Biology II, and Physics from Apologia.

SOS is a textbook on computer. It has very encyclopedic reading. It is read, answer questions, study the material to take a quiz, then read, study, test all the way through. The thing I did like about SOS is it grades most of the student work for you. Sometimes the teacher does have grading to do. It certainly teaches the student how to take a test with various types of test questions. Yes, sometimes the computer is wrong, but my ds was always quick to point that out.;) I also liked the fact that the science experiments were on video clips so the student could watch how the experiment was done and then do it or not themselves. There were lab write-ups about the experiments and a question or 2 on the test about it.

Apologia is a textbook that talks directly to the student. It isn't written in a textbookish, encyclopedic way. Much more engaging for the student imho. It has the student read, do on your own questions, many experiments that are easily done in the home, review questions at the end of each chapter and then a test. Very homeschool friendly.

We switched from SOS to Apologia in 9th grade for my youngest ds because he was hating science. It became his favorite subject. Since I had SOS already, I had my dd do the 6th grade last year. We are switching this year to another science because she didn't like it either. However my oldest ds did well with SOS. HTH