Menu

Reading fluency/ fidgety kids

reign

I feel like my oldest reads fairly well for her age. She reads aloud to me everyday from a easy chapter book for practice. The problem she is so fidgety and has such a problem concentrating. As soon as he begins reading she starts itching her head, fixing her underwear, pulling her socks, or rubbing her eyes/mouth. It is distracting to her. She will have to reread sentences because she inserts words. She Doesn't seem to be guessing so much as suddenly making up thr story. Then she'll catch herself say "opps" and read correctly. It is difficult to watch but mainly it seems upsetting to her. I can't think of anything to do to make it easier for her. I try to hold her to calm her down and that helps sometimes. Any ideas?

My boys differ in their figety ways. 7 year old needs to walk around when doing his assigned read aloud. 6 year old likes to lie in bed with his soft toy near him while doing read aloud.

Also the smaller the print of the book, the more my boys fidgit. I am actually going to see if my local library has large print versions of the classics.