Menu

if you suffer from asthma...

does just the presence of someone who heavily smokes bother you or does the person have to be actually smoking around you?

The reason I am asking is I have a dear friend who has had asthma for a long while and sometimes it is really bad. Her husband is a heavy smoker, but smokes outside the house. She is wondering if just him being around with smoky clothes and smoky hair and smoky breath can be adding to her problem. Her doctors say yes and she believes it, but her husband doesn't. So I was wondering what others have experienced with this. Thanks.

I have become more sensitive as I have become older. Smoke (even second hand), perfume, hair spray, flowers, etc. all seem to irritate me more now. Years ago, when I stood up for my cousin, I had to use my nebulizer in the bathroom before the reception as I was overwhelmed with all the irritants.

Cigarette smoke has never bothered me. I worked in a bar never phased me at all. Perfume on the other hand I can smell a mile away and makes me gag. I mean really it makes me physically gag. My eyes tear up start to itch really bad it is a nightmare. Burning stuff smoke bothers me though. Like if your burning trash or camp fires.

does just the presence of someone who heavily smokes bother you or does the person have to be actually smoking around you?

It depends on the person, each person can have different asthma triggers/allergies. For me, it's mainly cat dander & dust/mold. I don't have any trouble around cigar or pipe smoke, and don't mind cigarette smoke outside. My mother however, is highly sensitive to both cigar & cigarette smoke, and gets wheezy even outdoors when people are smoking and she gets some of it blown her way. If the person who smokes changes their clothes and comes inside, it doesn't bother her then.

You might suggest a change of clothing or overcoat (maybe smoking jacket and hat? or bathrobe shower cap?) for her husband. :D Also, going to an Allergy, Asthma & Immunology Dr. can be more helpful than the family Dr. if her case is very bad.

I remember when my preemie was in the Neonatal ICU and the nurses were talking about the parents that come in with smoke smell on their clothes and how it would cause the babies to have breating apneas and heart bradycardias (their heart rate would slow down often to the point of needing minor resuscitation). So not only did it affect these babies breating but also their heart rhythm.