Menu

What is "modest dress" for a Greek Orthodox church?

My kids attend a Catholic church, which I imagine to be similar.

Covered shoulders are important.

Knee-length or longer skirts/dresses, or slacks.

Nothing cut too low in front, I think the kids' church is 2-3 fingers from the sternum.

"Sunday best" versus "everyday wear".

That's what I remember from going with my kids. I had to buy special outfits LOL.

Just a comment, I don't think "Sunday best" is necessary for a Greek Fest though. That's a more casual affair by its nature. Agreeing with above: sleeves, knee-length or longer skirt/dress or pants (no shorts and maybe not even capris; depends) and no cleavage. On kids, it could mean no shorts.

I'm sure you could call to ask! Have fun, and have a gyro for me. :D

There are some helpful guidelines here:

Etiquette Guidelines -- St. Sophia Orthodox Church,

though of course some things, such as the references to "Sunday best," wouldn't apply in this case.

(I wish more Catholic churches would put together pages like this one! It answers all sorts of questions that visitors or newcomers might have, or might not even know to ask.)

Interesting to me that the standards are that it is ok to give the kids snacks during church but you are not supposed to take them to the bathroom. I'd consider the bathroom needs of small toddlers much more urgent then snacks.

It doesn't say you can't take them to the bathroom -- just "do not allow them to come and go during Divine Services." Since toddlers don't come and go from the sanctuary on their own, I would assume that this applies to older children. Even then, if there were a really urgent need, I'd imagine that taking them would be okay -- just as it would be okay for an adult to go. But for most people, going beforehand would be adequate.

And I understand the request, as there are some children who will ask go to the bathroom half a dozen times during mass. Not that I would have any of those... :glare:

Edited by Eleanor

NO ONE in an EOC would expect you to deny a child the bathroom. However, they do not want you to constantly go in and out during services. There are certain points of a Liturgy that you are not supposed to enter or leave and should wait for those moments to pass before doing either.

Snacks are expected to be kept to a minimum. They are mentioned, because older children and most adults are expected to fast, not eat, until after communion. We understand that younger children do not have this kind of understanding or self control. They will be hungry and want to eat, so we don't deny them.

Please also note that each parish may have it's own "culture" and a few small expectations may vary from place to place.

Edited by mommaduck

NO ONE in an EOC would expect you to deny a child the bathroom. However, they do not want you to constantly go in and out during services. There are certain points of a Liturgy that you are not supposed to enter or leave and should wait for those moments to pass before doing either.

Snacks are expected to be kept to a minimum. They are mentioned, because older children and most adults are expected to fast, not eat, until after communion.

I would expect if that is what they meant it should have been phrased differently. I try to keep bathroom trips to a minimum. I take mine beforehand but with a newly trained toddler it can be difficult. My 2.5 yo isn't allowed to go anymore than once usually and we try to keep our timing appropriate (Catholic here).

I don't get the snacks thing though, unless someone has a medical condition. I don't see the relation to older children and adults fasting has to do with snacks for kids. As small kids aren't expected to fast I'd expect most except infants would be ok with going 1-1.5 hrs.

I would expect if that is what they meant it should have been phrased differently. I try to keep bathroom trips to a minimum. I take mine beforehand but with a newly trained toddler it can be difficult. My 2.5 yo isn't allowed to go anymore than once usually and we try to keep our timing appropriate (Catholic here).

I don't get the snacks thing though, unless someone has a medical condition. I don't see the relation to older children and adults fasting has to do with snacks for kids. As small kids aren't expected to fast I'd expect most except infants would be ok with going 1-1.5 hrs.

They get up, get ready, and head to church. No one is fixing breakfast. This means that the younger children have not eaten since the evening before. A zippy of goldfish can do wonders to get a child through service till coffee hour. Most people try to get their children through without snacks, but no one will give you a dirty look if you feel the need to offer some...just as no one will give you a dirty look if you need to take your child to the bathroom.

I think modest attire is different for a church tour than for a church service. I would just avoid shorts, bare tummy, or cleavage. At our festival, the journalist who wrote about it put 'no shorts' and the priest wrote to him to take that out, since he didn't feel that people should have to plan ahead-- if they just came for a gyro and then realized they might want to see the church, that's good! As long as they finish the gyro first. :001_smile: I did some of the church tours at our festival & I wouldn't turn anyone away for their clothing.

Have fun!

They get up, get ready, and head to church. No one is fixing breakfast. This means that the younger children have not eaten since the evening before. A zippy of goldfish can do wonders to get a child through service till coffee hour.

Is there some Orthodox rule that precludes them from cooking for their children before church? Why couldn't said crackers be given before?

We live in the Pacific Northwest; our 'dressy' is called 'casual' by most of the U.S. :D

We wear: nice (not stained or dirty) pants or skirts, shirts with sleeves (short sleeves OK) and no cleavage (not turtlenecks, though, just no cleavage). Some wear their sleeveless dresses with a little cardigan. The men mostly wear pants or nice jeans with a collared shirt tucked in, though we have a few guys who can pull of the three-piece suit with aplomb. The kids and teens wear slightly more hip versions of the above.

We do have a few that dress more modestly, but most wear the above. Certainly a guess would not be expected to be dressed more modestly than the above, though no one would bat an eye if they were.