Menu

Can anyone recommend a good, clean movie that I haven't seen?

Here are a few I have seen and like:

Gone With the Wind

Hunger Games

The Notebook

Courageous

The Sound of Music

Expelled

ETA: I am getting discouraged about the lack of recent movies that are clean and good.

Any of the Sherwood Films - you listed Courageous above. Before that was:

Flywheel

Facing the Giants

Fireproof

Newest One which we haven't seen yet, October Baby

Faith Like Potatoes

I would caution "We bought a zoo" because the children use some VERY foul language in it and the teenage boy is obsessed with gruesome death art which gave my son nightmares after we watched it.

Some great ideas given here! Makes me want to go back and watch some of them again because I'd forgotten about them.

I am assuming you want movie suggestions for the whole family...

Thor

Mirror Mirror

Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton's version)

The Perfect Game

Clockstoppers

Faith Like Potatoes

October Baby- does deal with adult theme of abortion but an excellent movie

Radio

Radio Flyer

The First Grader

It Could Happen to You

Forever Young (Mel Gibson)

Ever After (Drew Barrymore)

Remember the Titans

Make Believe -- fascinating docu about teen magicians

Frontrunners-- docu about an election at elite NYC public high school

Cave of Forgotten Dreams-- docu about ancient cave paintings in Chauvet Cave, southern france

The Last Rites of Joe May-- semi clean, contains foul language and brief violence. Amazingly acted by Dennis Farina (he should have gotten an academy award for this film), he is an absolute tour de force here

The Station Agent-- some sexual innuendo but mostly clean, heart warming semi-romance about a little person who inherits a defunct train station

BBC "Poirot" series

Mozart's Sister-- some sexual innuendo but mostly clean

BBC "Foyle's War" series (some violence)

Stargate SG1 and Atlantis (some sexual innuendo and violence in some episodes)

Whale Rider

Murdoch Mysteries

Here are a few I have seen and like:

Gone With the Wind

Hunger Games

The Notebook

Courageous

The Sound of Music

Expelled

ETA: I am getting discouraged about the lack of recent movies that are clean and good.

Part of the problem may be that both "clean" and "good" are pretty subjective. I wouldn't apply both of those adjectives to any of the films on your list, actually.

With that said, my whole family enjoyed We Bought a Zoo. We really wanted to like Joyful Noise, but it was not a great film. We rarely worry about sexual content (which is what I assume you mean by "clean"), making me of limited help. We watched Rock of Ages last night and enjoyed it so much more than any of us anticipated. But there are a couple of scenes I expect would be too explicit for your taste.

I read Hunger Games and I wouldn't watch the movie because it was so gory and disturbing, so I just picked movies that I liked that didn't have gore, heavy swearing, or explicit sex scenes, and hoped the suggestions would help.

I know people who loathe The Sound of Music for being a "heartwarming" tale of a good Nazi. ;)

Edited by stripe

For recent movies, I saw The Big Year. I liked that and don't remember anything bad in it. Dh fell asleep and thought it was incredibly boring.

As far as Shawshank Redemption, I've heard so many wonderful things about that movie. The only part I have seen is where two guys were attempting a r*pe of another prisoner. I happened to walk into the room when that scene came on. I can't bring myself to watch it after that. I'm pretty sure it was that movie! Nothing graphic happened but the dialogue was fairly graphic.

As far as Shawshank Redemption, I've heard so many wonderful things about that movie. The only part I have seen is where two guys were attempting a r*pe of another prisoner. I happened to walk into the room when that scene came on. I can't bring myself to watch it after that. I'm pretty sure it was that movie! Nothing graphic happened but the dialogue was fairly graphic.

There are multiple rapes of men that happen off camera and plenty of beatings. I wouldn't call it gratuitous violence, like stupid action movies, at all, however. There are also suggestive scenes between men in prison, and a heterosexual love scene. It was given an R rating for language and prison violence. There are multiple scenes of attacks in the prison; there are also rear views of nude men. According to the IMDB parental guide, there are 36 uses of the f word, plus other profanity. So, it is a violent movie, with very complex themes that is ultimately, in my opinion, a very good movie. But if profanity or violence are something the OP wants to pass on, I would say, this movie would probably make her uncomfortable.

I am not sure if "good, clean movie" means one that the family might want to watch together, or movies that aren't grisly or "obscene" but are meant for an adult to watch and therefore can be sad or emotionally wrenching or complex. I took it to mean the latter, and some of my suggestions are neither violent nor coarse, but are CERTAINLY too depressing or "adult" for kids to watch.

I read Hunger Games and I wouldn't watch the movie because it was so gory and disturbing, so I just picked movies that I liked that didn't have gore, heavy swearing, or explicit sex scenes, and hoped the suggestions would help.

I know people who loathe The Sound of Music for being a "heartwarming" tale of a good Nazi. ;)

For what it's worth, I loved the Hunger Games series and am often one of the few vehemently defending the books. However, for me, yes, the violence makes them distinctly not "clean." I'm a whole lot more disturbed by gore and killing than I am a little bit of consensual sex.

And my dislike of The Sound of Music isn't political. It's just a very tedious film that isn't even a good adaptation of the stage musical. (My son's done the show twice on stage. We joke that he has a few more male characters to age up through yet, but both of us already know it by heart. And we're a little protective of it. Neither of my kids has been able to sit through the film, because it's just boring.)

Edited by Jenny in Florida

Based on your list, I am thinking these will be okay for you.

Period Dramas

Horatio Hornblower

Lark Rise to Candleford

Jane Eyre

Under the Greenwood Tree

Emma

Wives and Daughters

Foyle's War (detective, WW2)

Winds of War

Cranford

North and South

Miss Austen Regrets

Downton Abbey

Young Victoria

Sense and Sensibility

Bramwell

Mrs. Brown

The Tenent of Wildfell Hall

Miss Potter

The King's Speech

Master and Commander

Bleak House

Elizabeth I

Persuasion

Pride and Prejudice

John Adams miniseries

Our Mutual Friend

Mayor of Casterbridge

Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman (TV series)

An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving

The Four Feathers

Anna and the King

Mr. Sommersby

Middlemarch

The Sound of Music

Into the West

Robin Hood (with Russell Crowe, violence)

Romance

You've Got Mail

One Day

Arranged

Date Night

A Walk to Remember

The Family Man

Sweet Home Alabama

Ever After

About a Boy

Fireproof

The Importance of Being Ernest

Under the Tuscan Sun

Letters to Juliet

27 Dresses

The Wedding Planner

Last Chance Harvey

Issues

Extremely Loud and Incredible Close

Pursuit of Happyness

Slumdog Millionaire

The Help

Ghandi

The Guardian (TV series)

Temple Grandin

Invictus

Dear John (romance and some profanity, I’m sure)

Love Comes Softly (TV series)

Gracie’s Choice

Seven Pounds (intimacy)

The Visitor

The Amazing Grace

The Shunning

The Other Sister (romance and some profanity, I’m sure)

Cinderella Man

The Truman Show

Canvas

Teachers

Freedom Writers

Music from the Heart

The Ron Clark Story

Mr. Holland’s Opus

Glory Road

Medical

Living Proof

Lorenzo's Oil

First Do No Harm

Gifted Hands -- The Ben Carson Story

Extraordinary Measures

General Drama

On a Clear Day (quirky, but I really liked it -- very realistic)

Hachi: A Dog's Tale

Julie & Julia

Pearl Diver

Secretariat

Everwood (TV series)

Flywheel

October Sky

The Simple Life of Noah Dearborn

How about You?

The Blind Side

Hidden Secrets

Secret Life of Bees

Wit

The Winslow Boy

Duma (fun for the whole family)

August Rush

Searching for Bobby Fisher

Quiz Show

Courageous

We Bought a Zoo

Dreamer

The Locket

Charms for the Easy Life

The Inheritance

An Education (not for children, but I found it interesting in terms of parenting teens).

Tortilla Soup

Parenthood (definitely has modern issues, but I find it overall tasteful)

Mysteries/Suspense

Inspector Lynley (series) (some involve immoral issues)

Murder She Wrote ( series)

Flightplan

The Bourne Trilogy

State of Play (may have profanity)

K-19: The Widow Maker (may have profanity)

Rendition

U-571 (may have profanity)

Changeling

Rosemary and Thyme (TV series)

Inspector Lewis (TV series)

Gladiator (tough)

Comedy

Samantha Who (funny little series, some modern themes)

Did You Hear about the Morgans?

New in Town

Edited by nestof3

Didn't read all of the responses, but I love the old Doris Day movies. There is the Long Long Trailer with Lucy and Desi Arnaz. I just saw Its a Mad Mad Mad World from the early 60s and it was a crackup with many many old stars in it. iTunes has a lot of great older movies, and Netflix is a good choice too.

Mysteries/Suspense

Inspector Lynley (series) (some involve immoral issues)

Inspector Lewis (TV series)

Inspector Lewis is a sequel of sorts, or spin off. The original was Inspector Morse, also worth watching.

All these murder mystery shows except th cosy types have their creepy moments. And even the cosy ones have murder as entertainment, after all. The degree of gore varies. I found many parts of the Lynley books to be rather disturbing (creepy). Same with some of these shows based on Scandinavian murder mysteries. Can you get old Columbo shows anywhere? Those are fun.

Inspector Lewis is a sequel of sorts, or spin off. The original was Inspector Morse, also worth watching.

All these murder mystery shows except th cosy types have their creepy moments. And even the cosy ones have murder as entertainment, after all. The degree of gore varies. I found many parts of the Lynley books to be rather disturbing (creepy). Same with some of these shows based on Scandinavian murder mysteries. Can you get old Columbo shows anywhere? Those are fun.

Yes, I forgot! I did watch some Inspector Morse. I know of the Columbo shows (I think my dad mentioned them once). I find with most mystery shows like that, there are some disturbing elements. I also remember one Lynley which showed quite a bit of the online p*rn site in question.

I like Criminal Minds and Bones, though. :)

Didn't read all of the responses, but I love the old Doris Day movies. There is the Long Long Trailer with Lucy and Desi Arnaz. I just saw Its a Mad Mad Mad World from the early 60s and it was a crackup with many many old stars in it. iTunes has a lot of great older movies, and Netflix is a good choice too.

Love Doris Day! On moonlight Bay and By the Light of the silvery moon are good. Then there is Calamity Jane and PleSe don't eat the daisies!

Did anyone mention 7 Bridesfor 7Brothers.

I love old movies.

Singing in the rain is a good one too.

If you have Netflix, try The Mating Game with Gene Tierney. Excellent!

Peter Sellers movies! The Mouse that Roared is my favorite.

We also love Stardust here--there is violence but it's made to be entirely silly and cartoonish even though it's a live action movie. My kids adore it.

Also another vote for Remember the Titans. I also really liked Harry Potter 7--I forget if you've watched that series or not, but the movies get better as they go so the set of two 7 movies is the best of the lot.

Edited by LittleIzumi