Menu

Can anyone recommend a good, clean movie that I haven't seen?

The Avengers

Pride and Prejudice

Gettysburg

Apollo 13 (some brief innuendo)

Miss Potter

Mirror Mirror

Remember the Titans

Facing the Giants

Enchanted

National Treasure

The Family Man (Christmas Show)

Grandpa for Christmas

The Note (Christmas)

The Christmas Card

The Christmas Wish

Journey to the Center of the Earth

Edited by HollyDay

The Way. It's a bit of a tear jerker but uplifting, too.

THE WAY is a powerful and inspirational story about family, friends and the challenges we face while navigating this ever-changing and complicated world. Martin Sheen plays Tom, an irascible American doctor who comes to France to deal with the tragic loss of his son (played by Emilio Estevez). Rather than return home, Tom decides to embark on the historical pilgrimage "The Way of St. James" to honor his son's desire to finish the journey. What Tom doesn't plan on is the profound impact this trip will have on him. Through unexpected and oftentimes amusing experiences along "The Way," Tom discovers the difference between "the life we live and the life we choose.â€

http://theway-themovie.com/

The New Heroes. A PBS documentary of individual people who changed the lives of others for the better. It's one of my favorites. Very inspirational.

The New Heroes tells the dramatic stories of 14 daring people from all corners of the globe who, against all odds, are successfully alleviating poverty and illness, combating unemployment and violence, and bringing education, light, opportunity and freedom to poor and marginalized people around the world.

Also known as "social entrepreneurs," they develop innovations that bring life-changing tools and resources to people desperate for viable solutions. What is possible? You'd be surprised. Take a journey into a world where people take action to make a big difference.

http://www.pbs.org/opb/thenewheroes/

Amazing Grace (about William Wilberforce) was one that I really enjoyed. I haven't seen it in a few years, though, so I don't recall if there are any objectionable scenes. (I had the dvd, but loaned it to a friend, who then sold it in her yard sale. :glare:)

I'll second the recommendation for Temple Grandin. Our whole family loved that one!

• 1 month later...

Shawshank - again seen only on cable and it is on all the time

Shawshank Redemption is an excellent movie, but it is set in prison and is pretty rough in terms of plot and emotions. It has a fair number of f-word uses, and has some violence as part of the plot. It is not a nasty type of movie, and, again, I think it is an excellent movie, but it's not squeaky clean or the sort I would have little kids watch.

I love the screwball comedies from the 40s and highly recommend them, if you haven't seen them, but they're certainly not recent!

Midnight in Paris is sort of an interesting Woody Allen movie. He's not in it as an actor. Made in Dagenheim has a few f words and some implied sexuality but they're small, and the plot is interesting so I enjoyed it. Loved the costumes too. Nobody Knows (Daremo shiranai) is a Japanese film that is emotionally devastating but excellent. Departures (Okuribito) is a sort of strange but interesting Japanese film about a man who loses his job as a musician takes a job sort of like a mortician. Like Stars on Earth is a fantastic Indian movie about the difference a good teacher can make. Find this one! You also must see Vitus.

Sweet land is a very nice movie. You might enjoy Lark Rise to Candleford (tv series) if you can find it.

Edited by stripe

The Joy Luck Club. (Much of it is sad. However, it's a very well done movie.)

I am currently reading the book for the billionth time. ;)

First Knight is fun. Casablanca. I should be boycotting Mel, but Braveheart is a great movie. No swearing, but well done bums and boobs. Streaming on Netflix.

Edited by LibraryLover

Shawshank Redemption is an excellent movie, but it is set in prison and is pretty rough in terms of plot and emotions. It has a fair number of f-word uses, and has some violence as part of the plot. It is not a nasty type of movie, and, again, I think it is an excellent movie, but it's not squeaky clean or the sort I would have little kids watch.

Um, yeah. FANTASTIC movie, one of DH's favorites, but I wouldn't even consider DD13 watching it. F-words, prison violence of all kinds. Not in the clean category.