Menu

MCT Mavens: grammar question

daijobu

"Every" is an adjective modifying the noun "day". The function of that phrase in the sentence is to modify the verb "take", so it is an adverbial phrase. It's more clear when you rearrange the sentence to read:

I take a nap every day.

"I" is the subject. "Take" is the action verb predicate. "Nap" is the direct object (What do I take? I take a nap). "Every day" is the adverbial phrase (When do I take a nap? I take a nap every day).

ETA: It is not a prepositional phrase because it does not relate two nouns or pronouns. I take a nap on the couch has a prepositional phrase because it relates the pronoun "I" with the noun "couch".

Edited by Crimson Wife

The function of that phrase in the sentence is to modify the verb "take", so it is an adverbial phrase.

Thank you. We are still on the Voyage level as well, and we have not encountered adverbial phrases, hence my confusion.

(I can't say I'm looking forward to still more kinds of phrases. I thought I already had a full plate of 'em.)