Menu

If you've coordinated the use of two resources (e.g., two history resources)...

ILiveInFlipFlops

...how did you handle it when they don't exactly match up? I'm trying to coordinate SOTW 2 with the Oxford University Press Medieval and Early Modern history series. They're generally running along the same timeline, but not exactly, and SOTW covers some things that the OUP books don't (or do, but in another book, in, say, a single sentence), and vice versa.

So WWYD if you were me? Would you assign the chunks of the OUP books as needed based on the SOTW chapter you're in, regardless of how out of sync they might be in the series? If I do this, there's a chance DD10 might be skipping some sections/chapters in the OUP books or reading them out of order. My Type A-ness is having a hard time with this, even though it probably doesn't matter nearly as much as I think it does.

I'm :bigear: for another brilliant idea as well. My plan is currently to read SOTW chapters aloud for DD7 and assign further reading in the OUP books for DD10. If you have thoughts on that, I'd love to hear them. I'm making myself a little :willy_nilly: over this right now!

I pick one as "spine" and then rearrange the other(s) as needed. My oldest will be using K12 Human Odyssey Vol. 1 as "spine" for logic stage ancients next year and DS will be using SOTW Vol. 1 for grammar stage ancients. However, we will be following the sequence of topics in HO so the SOTW chapters will be out of order.

I keep telling myself that having one spine is enough, and that anything beyond that is just extra. I love the idea of having your 10 year old do additional reading, and would suggest that she can maybe sometimes read the OUP and sometimes go to the library to pick a book that's related to one of the topics you read about, but maybe more in-depth on one specific part of it.

My dd10, just got super into the Egyptian gods, got a book from the library, and started listing all the gods and their qualities. Little did she know that I was just about to assign her to do that exact thing as we started reading ancient Egyptian tales! I think that by this age, it's great to give them an overview (it sounds like SOTW) and then letting them run into a more in-depth direction, at times.

Don't go too type-A! I can definitely relate, but seeing one book as the "main" one and the other as just a reference when needed/interested has been a great choice for us so far.

I have been struggling with this too. I had found all kinds of resources and additional books and thought it will be great to have all of this. But once we actually got into it, I have found that maybe sticking to one thing is better (and less stressful for me to plan!). So, I have decided to use one book as my spine, and just "look" at the other resources but not worry about studying them in depth, or if they match up exactly.