Menu

Deposits on reception hall & ceremony sites are done. I'm forgetting something.

Book music and video?

I eloped, so I don't know.

Here's a bump so people who do can chime in :D

Thanks. I'm playing for the wedding. I know...strange choice of job for "mother of the bride", but here's the deal. It would cost hundreds of dollars to book musicians and hate to say it, in this area, none of them hold a candle. :D (Sorry, that's the ego of the piano performance major in me coming out....I do try to keep it under wraps but every once in a while her little, ugly, face comes peeking out from underneath my pile of defects!) DD wants classical music, and Chopin, Mozart, Debussey, Bach....she shall have! It is, from my perspective, one of the best labors of love I can give her...plus it gives me a chance to play the restored 1893 Steinway at the venue! :biggrinjester: The only awkward part is that dh will sit in a pew by himself, poor guy.

Video - my brother the techie...I forgot to call and make sure he put the date in his planner and he's notorious for "forgetting" if his android ap doesn't remind him. Thanks for suggesting that.

Faith

I think that's an awesome job for the MotB! You know, not only will it be more meaningful part of the shindig but there's something to be said for peace of mind knowing it's going to go well and be phenomenal. When you know, you know ;) I'm a pianist, too, so I totally get it LOL. I'm the nutjob who would want to make sure the photographer got pics of me at the piano, too :blushing: oh, and of course with the bridal party, yada yada yada!

Thanks. I'm playing for the wedding. I know...strange choice of job for "mother of the bride", but here's the deal. It would cost hundreds of dollars to book musicians and hate to say it, in this area, none of them hold a candle. :D (Sorry, that's the ego of the piano performance major in me coming out....I do try to keep it under wraps but every once in a while her little, ugly, face comes peeking out from underneath my pile of defects!) DD wants classical music, and Chopin, Mozart, Debussey, Bach....she shall have! It is, from my perspective, one of the best labors of love I can give her...plus it gives me a chance to play the restored 1893 Steinway at the venue! :biggrinjester: The only awkward part is that dh will sit in a pew by himself, poor guy.

Video - my brother the techie...I forgot to call and make sure he put the date in his planner and he's notorious for "forgetting" if his android ap doesn't remind him. Thanks for suggesting that.

Faith

That sounds lovely! If I ever get married again you must come and play for my wedding. ;)

I think that's an awesome job for the MotB! You know, not only will it be more meaningful part of the shindig but there's something to be said for peace of mind knowing it's going to go well and be phenomenal. When you know, you know ;) I'm a pianist, too, so I totally get it LOL. I'm the nutjob who would want to make sure the photographer got pics of me at the piano, too :blushing: oh, and of course with the bridal party, yada yada yada!

Thanks for understanding! I know you can relate to the fact that my comment to the photographer was, "I don't care if you get any good pics of me, but you have got to get a good close-up of that piano!!" :lol: My dad says studying the piano in college seriously warped me!

DD told the photographer that she doesn't care two hoots about "posed" pics because they look awkward and contrived in her opinion, except that no matter what, there has to be a pic of her in her wedding gown playing the Steinway! :D It's such a blessing when you know you've raised your child right!!!!!!!:smilielol5:

Faith

Flowers? Cake? Officiant?

Wedding colors are still a big thing, apparently grey is a bit hit as one the colors this season as is navy . My sister's wedding is grey and yellow, my cousin's was yellow and navy.

I highly suggest a wedding helper, ie someone who is not a direct relative, so an aunt or cousin works, not a sibling or parent. Who is in charge of all the little details on the day of the wedding. My Mom actually hired a wedding planner this time for my sisters wedding because it was just easier. It is nice to know there is someone running herd on everyone though. You may not need to contact said person yet, but you probably want a plan and that person committed to their role soon.

Have you hubby sit right by you..or if there are grandparents, have them sitted DH.

Curious...........are you not going to walk in then as the Mother of the Bride? Will someone else play for you walk down the aisle?

I think it is beyond wonderful that you are playing,please don't get me wrong there.

Officiant

Lock in those hotel rooms

Wedding attire. I don't recall if that is already been decided, but if you are ordering dresses from a bridal store you might be surprised at how long they can take to come in. Some of them are made only after the order is placed.

Have you hubby sit right by you..or if there are grandparents, have them sitted DH.

Curious...........are you not going to walk in then as the Mother of the Bride? Will someone else play for you walk down the aisle?

I think it is beyond wonderful that you are playing,please don't get me wrong there.

Officiant

Lock in those hotel rooms

Wedding attire. I don't recall if that is already been decided, but if you are ordering dresses from a bridal store you might be surprised at how long they can take to come in. Some of them are made only after the order is placed.

Hotel rooms. That's it!!!! Thank you hive.

I need to make a list of options and mail them to the groom's family. I'm not booking hotels for them. That's not in the budget. They'll have to pay for their own expenses, but I need to make a detailed list of what is available with maps so they can see the distances from the venues and our home, plus area restaurant options for meals that we won't be providing.

No, I'm not walking down the aisle as mother-of-the-bride. I'll be at the piano playing preludes while others are being seated and candles are lit. It doesn't bother me to not be doing that. I'd much rather be occupied doing music than just sitting there. Dd doesn't mind either. She knows the quality of the music she'll be getting and is quite happy about it.

Faith

Hotel rooms. That's it!!!! Thank you hive.

I need to make a list of options and mail them to the groom's family. I'm not booking hotels for them. That's not in the budget. They'll have to pay for their own expenses, but I need to make a detailed list of what is available with maps so they can see the distances from the venues and our home, plus area restaurant options for meals that we won't be providing.

No, I'm not walking down the aisle as mother-of-the-bride. I'll be at the piano playing preludes while others are being seated and candles are lit. It doesn't bother me to not be doing that. I'd much rather be occupied doing music than just sitting there. Dd doesn't mind either. She knows the quality of the music she'll be getting and is quite happy about it.

Faith

You don't need to book hotel rooms, you just ask the hotel to set aside a block of rooms in the name of your wedding party. There is no cost to you at all. They give you a better price than if your family would call individually. You can request the block at several hotels as they usually have limits as to how many they will put on hold. When it gets close, they will give you the date, if the rooms are not booked, they will just release them back into their availability.

When our 2nd DD got married, we had 160 guests and 140 of them were at hotels. We had to get 3-4 different hotels to accomodate everyone!

Yes, by all means give out of town family a list of restaurants and such. Include street addresses so they can plug them into their GPS.

Times have changed.

I am sure you playing the piano will be a memory none of you will forget.

Awesome.

I'm going to be mother-of-the-groom next summer, and one thing I was surprised to read that books early (at least in the town where we're putting on our rehearsal dinner) is rentals that you might need like tables, canopy/tent, that sort of thing. If your venue doesn't include that stuff already.

I was going to suggest he be a page turner. That's always my job when my mother plays at any event.

Dh is a bit of a pianist himself. He plays very well, reads well, counts well...plays classical works, etc. He can hold his own so one would think he'd make an excellent page turner. But, there ya go thinkin' again. The man cannot turn a page on time under any circumstances to save his ever lovin' life! I have never seen anything like it. I don't care what method we agree on, wait for the nod, wait for the third count of the measure, turn a full measure ahead, wait until I say "turn", turn when I elbow you, it does not matter. He can't manage it and will oft times grab two pages at once.

It staggers the imagination that such a well trained musician can be so inept at the task.

Nope, the 15.5 year old is the man for the job. He turns pages very, very well!

Faith

Flowers? Cake? Officiant?

I highly suggest a wedding helper, ie someone who is not a direct relative, so an aunt or cousin works, not a sibling or parent. Who is in charge of all the little details on the day of the wedding. My Mom actually hired a wedding planner this time for my sisters wedding because it was just easier. It is nice to know there is someone running herd on everyone though. You may not need to contact said person yet, but you probably want a plan and that person committed to their role soon.

Yes, I agree. :) Booking a florist is something good to get done early. Definitely a wedding day coordinator to keep things moving on the wedding day (especially as you are playing piano in the wedding), and someone to do any announcements at the reception. Oh, and make sure you and mother of the groom are on the same page regarding things like bridal showers, rehearsal dinner.... Things that may seem, well... obvious to one, may not be to another.

Congratulations!

Edited by Cindy in the NH Woods