Menu

If you use MEP as your main curriculum. . .

lorisuewho

I think MEP has plenty of brain-benders. It is short on word problems. Because it uses metric measurement, I'm going to have to start some English unit work soon, more's the pity. We kind of like metric units around here.

Word problems can be easily picked up from a book about word problems and added in as needed.

Where I have been finding MEP more deficient, at least for my boys, is not enough fact drill. I should have been doing more drill on my own, but wasn't really sure how to do it and hit everything. So I picked up Rod and Staff 3. It's "easy math" according to the boys---and yet they miss a lot of problems simply by overlooking simple things like whether it is addition or subtraction! Yikes. So I'm glad I added in more fact practice and workbook drill. Slow going, and we feel like slugs, but it was needed in our case.

Yes, MEP has extremely puzzling puzzles and many difficult problems. I think it's one of the most challenging elementary math programs out there, in a good way.

When we switched to Beast Academy, I saw others remarking in surprise about the difficulty of BA, but coming from MEP we found it to be about what we were used to.

I think based on these responses I should stop fretting about fitting in Singapore IP.

I think MEP has plenty of brain-benders. It is short on word problems. Because it uses metric measurement, I'm going to have to start some English unit work soon, more's the pity. We kind of like metric units around here.

Word problems can be easily picked up from a book about word problems and added in as needed.

Where I have been finding MEP more deficient, at least for my boys, is not enough fact drill. I should have been doing more drill on my own, but wasn't really sure how to do it and hit everything. So I picked up Rod and Staff 3. It's "easy math" according to the boys---and yet they miss a lot of problems simply by overlooking simple things like whether it is addition or subtraction! Yikes. So I'm glad I added in more fact practice and workbook drill. Slow going, and we feel like slugs, but it was needed in our case.

Maybe I should be adding in Singapore CWP instead of Intensive Practice?

I agree about the drill. I'm doing basically the same as you, but instead of R&S we are using CLE, but I think they are probably similiar.

Yes, MEP has extremely puzzling puzzles and many difficult problems. I think it's one of the most challenging elementary math programs out there, in a good way.

When we switched to Beast Academy, I saw others remarking in surprise about the difficulty of BA, but coming from MEP we found it to be about what we were used to.

I'm glad to hear this about MEP! I think MEP is challenging but I don't have much to compare it to and we are only at the beginning of 1a and 2a with my boys; so we haven't gotten far in the program yet.

We are only in MEP 2 but there are some thought provoking problems in the lessons. I am also always amazed at how many computations are packed into the one little page for the day.

Yes! I think it is great since my boys feel like they are "only" doing one page, but between that one page and the lesson plans there was actually a lot going on!

Maybe I should be adding in Singapore CWP instead of Intensive Practice?

Based on what I've seen of the MEP posts, adding in Word Problems from some source seems to be a common theme. Only in my case it needed to be Easy Word Problems, and not CWP! It would be lovely if I had two math oriented children, but I've only got one of the two that has a math bent, and he struggles with language as it is. The last thing I need to do is convince him that words are more devious that he thinks they are.

We are just at the beginning of y1, going slow because my student is quite young still. We're using miquon with it and I really like mep and want to continue with it. I'm a little puzzled on the adding cwp though. I've seen posts say that you shouldn't start after cwp level 3. So, do those of you that use cwp add it in from the beginning? It seems like a lot to do miquon/mep/cwp. Would you wait to add in cwp until miquon is done?

We are just at the beginning of y1, going slow because my student is quite young still. We're using miquon with it and I really like mep and want to continue with it. I'm a little puzzled on the adding cwp though. I've seen posts say that you shouldn't start after cwp level 3. So, do those of you that use cwp add it in from the beginning? It seems like a lot to do miquon/mep/cwp. Would you wait to add in cwp until miquon is done?

I use the CWP a year behind, so I wouldn't begin CWP until 2nd grade and then use the first grade book.

As for the time it takes...you only have to do about two problems a day to finish one of the CWP books in a school year so it's not a huge time investment, IMO.