Menu

Has anyone successfully treated PCOS through diet? TMI inside...

I've read now a bit on completely eliminating sugar in order to control/eliminate PCOS. My PCOS is not "severe"- I have not had problems getting pregnant, though I have miscarried three times. I have only had one cyst get huge and painful, and it exploded while I sat in the ER waiting to figure out if they would need to remove it. lol.

BUT, my symptoms seem to be getting a bit stronger. TMI- I am still BFing my 8 month old, but have noticed significantly more CM than what I would usually have breastfeeding, and it appears to be more or less constant. Still haven't gotten my period back yet, which is normal for me.

Thinking about taking the plunge and attempting the PCOS diet, especially because in the future, I would like to use the smypto-thermal method to avoid pregnancy, but realize that will be quite hard if my CM is weird and my cycles are weird. Previously, I have used this method to achieve pregnancy and my cycles were very normal.

Previously, my cycles have been long, but very regular.

Thanks if you have any experience or information to share on this!

I don't know what the PCOS diet is, I will look it up. I can tell you my experience with it, though. I suffer from PCOS. I stopped eating meat and dairy a few years ago and haven't had one single issue. I had cysts that were so bad that I had to take a muscle relaxer and go to bed until they burst or whatever they did. It was awful. I, for other reasons, stopped eating meat and dairy and had no problems at all. Ever. I ran a marathon several years ago and the very next day went to a funeral. The man who died was a dear friend and was just a big eater. During the funeral, the pastor talked about going to his home and always finding ribs cooking and a pig being smoked, etc. My mouth started watering. I had been vegan for a year or so and had trained my butt off for this race and was completely depleted. I left the funeral, drove straight to a grocery store and bought a rack of ribs (the ones fully cooked and ready to eat under a heat lamp) and ate them in the car in the parking lot. I ate the whole thing, no napkin, nothing to drink, nothing. I had sauce all over my face! My kids still talked about how I looked when I got home. Then I ate meat every day after that and ended up with a very painful cyst not long after. I lived like that for several months and figured out what was going on. I have been vegan ever since and haven't had to take a pill and go to bed since.

I know how crazy it may sound but it works for me. I hope you find some relief.

I only cycle fairly regularly with a combo of LCing and Metformin.

I don't have a lot of external symptoms, and am not overweight, but I respond well to the combo above.

I went through injectables and IUI to conceive my DS1. I didn't ovulate one time on my own in 9 months of ttc, and didn't respond to clomid.

My 2nd and 3rd kids were conceived pretty easily with Metformin and LC.

I do believe insulin is a huge, huge driver in PCOS and that by avoiding being in a hyperinsulemic state it is possible to normalize hormones. I am not ttc but still eat LC and take Met because of the other non-reproductive health concerns that come with PCOS (increased risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, elevated triglycerides, hypertension, etc.)

eta: I was a veg for 8 years and I think that period of time exacerbated my PCOS because I was constantly bombarding my body with insulin. I was a long distance runner and my nearly absent cycles were chalked up to that and I was put on the pill. It was only when I was married, ttc, and went off the pill that we realized that all of those years I had been dealing with PCOS, and had never been properly diagnosed.

Edited by Momof3littles

I had to laugh at your comment- I have run three marathons (back in the day...) and can ABSOLUTELY sympathize with impulsively buying and eating a rack or ribs in the car the next day...

:D Oh, good! I can still feel the emotion and it has been several years ago. I could not control myself! LOL! Now I am sure my body wouldn't digest it. Before I stopped eating meat, I found that I could do certain yoga poses and that seemed to alleviate the pain and even change some of the symptoms, I guess something had to happen hormonely? I don't know enough about it to even speculate.

I've been struggling to limit carbs. Obviously, LC would be the way to go.

I do feel positive effects from taking zinc, though they are not measurable (I have not been checking blood sugar). I also take ceylon cinnamon, though I really don't know if it's helping. I don't track things strictly, but I seem to be having much more regular cycles than before.

Running also seems to help me a lot (when I'm running regularly, lol).

I've been struggling to limit carbs. Obviously, LC would be the way to go.

I do feel positive effects from taking zinc, though they are not measurable (I have not been checking blood sugar). I also take ceylon cinnamon, though I really don't know if it's helping. I don't track things strictly, but I seem to be having much more regular cycles than before.

Running also seems to help me a lot (when I'm running regularly, lol).

There simply HAS to be a hormonal balance thing associated with lots of aerobic activity. It helps so much.

There simply HAS to be a hormonal balance thing associated with lots of aerobic activity. It helps so much.

It makes sense that insulin, the king of hormones, would be involved. It's all metabolic, IMO.

Eta, to be more specific, the way I remember it is that excessive insulin interferes in biochemical reactions going on in the ovaries, causing them to kick out testosterone instead of estrogen.

Exercise is known to improve insulin levels.

Edited by wapiti