Menu

Getting Started with Miquon

lexi

My son is loving math and breezing through MEP Reception. He wants more math! I might add Right Start A in the spring since I already have it but I was thinking about getting some C-rods and math manipulatives for Christmas. But I want something to guide me with the C-rods. I was thinking about adding Miquon one or two days a week. However, I'm not sure what to buy or where to start.

So, what do I need if I'm starting from the beginning?

Any tips? I just feel confused when I look at samples.

What does a day with Miquon look like at your house?

since u have multiple kids. u probably want to get from currclick and you can download for your kids

http://www.currclick.com/index.php?keywords=miquon&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=&sdate_from=&sdate_to=&stime_from=&stime_to=

u also need teacher note, first yea diary and annotation also (probably hard copy for those), and of course at least 155 count c rod. For those u might want to get from rainbow resource. they have shipping free up to Sept 31

My son is loving math and breezing through MEP Reception. He wants more math! I might add Right Start A in the spring since I already have it but I was thinking about getting some C-rods and math manipulatives for Christmas. But I want something to guide me with the C-rods. I was thinking about adding Miquon one or two days a week. However, I'm not sure what to buy or where to start.

So, what do I need if I'm starting from the beginning?

Any tips? I just feel confused when I look at samples.

What does a day with Miquon look like at your house?

You will need a set of Cuisenaire Rods. Most people go for a 155 "small group" set. I would not get a smaller set. Some people (such as myself) prefer the "plastic" sets, others like the wood ones. Not a huge deal. Just don't get the scored/linking rods that are marketed as "Cuisenaire Rods."

I think it is a great idea to add a set of base-10 "flats" to the C Rod set. They serve as 100 values (same scale as C Rods). While they are not necessary for Miquon per se the flats with the rods make it easy for children to model 3-digit numbers in a Miquon-like way.

I strongly advise getting (and reading) all three Miquon teachers books. ""Notes to Teachers" (the slightest of the books) has good ideas for starting out, "The First Grade Diary" is a warm an inspiring walk-though of the first year of math exposure with a group of children and the Miquon author. It really helps a parent see "how to teach" using a Math Lab approach. The Lab Annotations book makes the objectives in lab-sheets in the student books clear, and has fantastic topical information for the math re-education of parent/teachers. It is a very dense and rich resource.

For student books I would get alt least the first two (Orange and Red). Miquon can be used in a straight linear fashion, or one can follow topics from one book to the next (without going for linear completion) or a mix of the two. Having at least both the First Year books broadens the options.

There are now videos by WTM board member "Rosie" at her Education Unboxed website that demonstrated Miquon like lessons in process. These have helped many people "see" how to use the C Rods in practice.

That is the minimum. You can add other things like geo-boards, flap-boards, place-value cards, games, and other math-lab friendly items as you will. But the above items a a good start.

Bill