Menu

If you use MM, what do you use for K math?

SewingMom2many

We're using MM1 in Kindergarten. DD whipped through 1A in about 6 weeks, until it got to 100s place value. She has about 10 pages left in the book, and is totally stalled. I'm still deciding whether to just push through, heavily helping her so that she can just finish the book and have that sense of accomplishment, or just to leave it undone.

So I think you can definitely start it in K, and work slowly.

We're going to go back to MEP as soon as I decide we're done with MM. We're about 1/2way through 1a of that, but stopped when we got caught up in MM. I think it's definitely something a kindergartner can grasp. There's also MEP Reception, which is fabulous.

We played math games, practiced counting to 100, talked about and experimented with time, measuring, simple geography, adding and subtracting concepts, patterns, sequencing, etc. We did about 1/4 of MM 1A, but I found that he learned so much more by learning and experimenting with the math all around him than he did sitting at the table filling in blanks.

Even now in 1st grade only about 1\3 of our math time is actually done working on the MM sheets.

My daughter already had the necessary concepts for 1st grade math down when we started K, but she didn't have the writing and study skills to complete 1st grade level math assignments. I used something cheap from CurrClick - a K math curriculum that we just did over the course of a couple months. I don't even remember what it was and I didn't put much thought into it. We blazed through it very quickly. It did a fantastic job of getting her up to speed with the concept of reading and following directions with a math assignment, and of how to physically write numbers on paper (a vitally important skill for 1st grade math!)

By winter, she was ready for MM1 and did that the rest of the year.

I was originally planning to use MM1 for DS2, and I chose Singapore Essential Math K for him (he was 4 at the time). We could have easily done as planned if I hadn't decided to switch everyone to Singapore PM anyway. :tongue_smilie:

I think Singapore EM K is a great lead-in to MM1A (I did do MM1A-4A and parts of 4B with DS1, so I know the curriculum well).

Dd5 is using the Miquon Orange Book as her math program. I threw in a few free worksheets I had downloaded for free on Maria Miller's recommendation.

We'll see how it goes and see if she'll be ready to do MM 1A starting this January. She seems to be catching on quickly.

Edited by sagira

We played math games, practiced counting to 100, talked about and experimented with time, measuring, simple geography, adding and subtracting concepts, patterns, sequencing, etc.

I did something similar with my dd7 for K. (I did Saxon 1 for my oldest's K year.) Since I was only schooling 2 at the time, I felt comfortable winging it. The downside was that because it wasn't all laid out for me (open and go), that was the first thing we skipped if the day got a little hectic. She ended up doing OK with MM1 in 1st, but I feel like she would have done better if I had had something laid out for me because it would have gotten done more consistently. That's why I am trying Singapore EM for dd5. I'll be schooling 3 with a 3yo and 1yo roaming the house (as well as being pg w/ #6). She is a bright but wiggly girl so between SM and Miquon/LoF (combining her with dd7 on Miquon/LoF) I'm hoping this will keep her engaged.

Anyway, all that to say that making up your own K program is totally doable if you think you can be consistent about it.

I am going to be doing Singapore Essential Math A and B with my K dd5 this year, as well as some Miquon and LoF for fun. I think this will lay a great foundation for MM 1, which I will start whenever she finishes with SM.

:iagree: but no Miquon, well actually we are doing MM1 for K and Singapore Essential A & B as a pre-K thing taking as long as needed. I figure if we need to go back for K level things we can always move back, just like we can go as slow as needed on level 1 math starting it in K.

With my son we just used Kumon workbooks and free sheets from education.com until he was ready for 1st grade MM.

I'm currently trying Mathematical Reasoning (by Critical Thinking) books with my DD, we'll see how it goes but so far she's enjoying it. We'll switch to MM once she's completed Level A.

We're currently doing Essentials A, almost done and about to start B. I tried MEP Reception, but it didn't work for us. We just started Miquon Orange, and although I like it so far, the jury is still out on whether we'll keep it up or not.

As soon as we finish Essentials B, we'll start MM1a, and if Miquon is a keeper, we'll just keep plugging along there too.