Menu

videos for mid-level spanish for a 3-yr-old

bakpak

Hi, I'm still struggling with finding good videos for my daughter (age 3) for that in-between level of Spanish that we're both at. Really basic immersion videos are great, but not challenging enough. Plaza Sesamo is often a little too challenging. We've watching some Pocoyo in Spanish, and that's sort-of the right level, but there's not a lot of Spanish actually spoken except by the narrator, and a lot of it's a little too out of context for my daughter to follow.

Anyone have any other TV suggestions to help us bridge the gap between too easy and too complicated? A bit repetitive would probably be good, but not introductory. And interesting to a 3-yr-old!

Thanks,

Becky

PS. Another thought - anyone had luck with watching something in the native language first, then 2nd time in the secondary language? Maybe that's the route I should take...

Dora La Exploradora worked really well for my kids (and myself) when they were younger. There's enough repetition, basic vocabulary, and constant chattering. We don't watch much TV any more but we used to have the SAP (secondary audio programming) on the TV set to Spanish. So everything on HBO Family, I think Disney, and maybe others automatically broadcasted in Spanish. But for Dora, we had to get from a Spanish only channel. Good luck!

Gracias! Dora & Mickey Mouse are great ideas. I don't have cable/satellite, so I have to find resources online. You Tube is becoming my friend.

I also found Antena Latina online http://www.antenalatina7.com/ , which is free streaming and it has some cartoons I'll check out. You just have to watch them when they're showing... I've gotten spoiled with Netflix.

My husband doesn't want our daughter watching ANY television, but I've been letting her watch ~20 min in Spanish a day over the past couple of weeks and she's been speaking a lot more unprompted! Of course, I've been more invested lately too...

Now that I've had a starting point, I've kept digging, and found Spanish videos on You Tube for Clifford de cachorrito, and Clifford el gran perro rojo, which is great as we read these books in Spanish all the time. I've also found Caillou in Spanish, although I'm saving this one to watch in French.