Menu

MCT Voyage Level

Paige

Can I have reviews/opinions of the Voyage level- especially from people who have done Island and Town and enjoyed it? My DS loves MCT but I am waffling on it this year. He has learned a ton from the series and it has given him a love of language so it would seem like an obvious choice to continue with it, but the samples have me underwhelmed. I don't see much material in the samples that are new and different from what we've already covered in MCT. It is also, IMO, a time consuming program and very expensive. I'm sure Caesar's English has new vocab, and is perfectly fine, but the rest seem like a lot of review for a lot of money. Anyone care to persuade me otherwise? I'm wondering if we could take a year off and come back to the Magic Lens level next year without being lost? Or maybe we could just pick up Practice Voyage and maybe only Essay or Grammar Voyage, but not both? We do enjoy the poetry books, but I'm trying to simplify this year and it seems like an easy cut. I'd do it happily if I was talked into getting the rest of the series, however.

We used the Voyage level last year. It wasn't our only language arts program, though.

Essay Voyage wasn't nearly as charming as the Island and Town books. It was actually a bit of a disappointment. The storyline seemed out of place to me. It broke up the book like an intrusion or distraction, as opposed to an enhancement.

I do think my dd gained insight from the book, though.

I could go either way. I'm glad we used it, but I don't think it would have been a huge loss if we hadn't.

The practice book and vocab were worthwhile. We enjoyed the poetry too.

My DD did CE2 and loved it. I do plan on having her do Essay Voyage when she finishes WWS 1. Other than that, I'm not going to be using any of the other "voyage" components. At some point, I will have her do Poetry and Humanity because that looks like it has more new material than A World of Poetry.

I haven't yet decided about AAW, but I am not planning on using the middle school grammar or vocab.

we had only used paragraph town of the lower ones, and we really liked the voyage level - for a while. i was using it with a 9th grader, and the level was fine for him, but it just got so boring after a while. We both felt like if we never saw another story about traveling on a ship to visit port towns it would be too soon. The poetry book was lovely but not nearly enough for him to LEARN much. The essay book DID help his writing, but we got to the point where we could barely stand to read the sample essays. the one about squirrels was the final straw. I'm always amazed i havent seen anyone else complain about it . . . iir it was about 5 pages of text about squirrels. deadly boring.

the next level up I had purchased WWW and magic lens - they are just straight textbooks, no story. I am still not sure we'll ever get back and use them.

its hard because i do think its a great program, but the voyage story .. . yeah, it just about killed me