Menu

Last night dh brought home a *flat* of raspberries...

Weeding through a bunch of gooey moldy raspberries first thing in the morning does not make for an auspicious start of the school year. I would just throw it all away. Maybe eat one good to make it not a total loss.

And tell your dh not to buy fruit in the dark. :grouphug:

The above could be a good bumper sticker.

Fresh raspberries go bad very quickly. That's one of the reasons they are so expensive in the first place. If there's lots of mold on many of them, even the ones that don't have obvious signs of mold that have been near them and kept under the same conditions will likely taste "off". I'd be sad but I'd toss them.

(We have a raspberry patch and if we don't eat or make jam out of them right away, we throw them in the freezer.)

Actually they may very well have been fine last night. Raspberries, especially if they were at all wet or overripe, can go from being just fine to complete moldy in a matter of a couple of hours. Were they in the fridge? That would have slowed it down a little but at most a day if they were left unrefrigerated it's not surprising they are shot now.

The best you can do is sort through them and pick out any that show no signs of mold. Either mix them with sugar and keep in the fridge or freeze immediately. Toss out any with any sign of mold as the flavor spreads through the berry very quickly.

Oh, no!!! You have to throw the moldy ones out because they're a soft fruit and mold penetrates them. Raspberries can go moldy right before your eyes, so unfortunately, the rule is don't bring them home unless you can process them into something the second they come through your doorway.

If you ever have to store them, place them on paper towel lined cookie sheets singly and put them in the fridge. Don't pile them on top of each other...it's a recipe for disaster.

If you ever have to store them, place them on paper towel lined cookie sheets singly and put them in the fridge. Don't pile them on top of each other...it's a recipe for disaster.

:iagree:

Next time, rinse them first thing with a solution of water and vinegar or water and a few drops of grapefruit seed extract to slow the growth of any mold. Then, you can store them in a single layer between paper towels in the fridge. Of course, that doesn't help you now. Unfortunately, I would just toss them. There's really no way to save moldy raspberries.