Menu

Math Mammoth pacing and Miquon

Lots of boys

We are using MM this year and loving it. We switched from SM last year to MM and are really glad we did. However, we use to do 4 days of SM and one day of Miquon just to mix things around. The boys really like Miquon as do I but I am having a hard time fitting it in with MM. We are doing 1A and 3A and I figure we need to cover two sheets a day to get it done but we are struggling. Two sheets a day for my 8 yr old in 3A seems to take FOREVER!! We are never getting to Miquon anymore...

Can someone that is working on MM share with me the pacing that they use? Do others with MM use any other program?

Thanks

DD (8) is currently in MM 3A. We aim for 10 sheets a week. I only assign about half the problems. If she gets them right, we move on. If she gets them wrong we cover the material again and then do the other half.

The first chapter of 3A is review we've done ~1/3 of the problems on each page. I do break up the chapters a little by working on 2 chapters at a time. Right now we are working on ch 1 review and ch 2 multiplication. When they are done we will work on ch 3 multiplication tables and ch 4 telling time.

we're doing 1a and while we don't have a timeline because we school year round, i aim to do one section a day. that ranges from 1-4 pages. i assign roughly half the problems and if she gets some wrong or i an tell she's struggling, i assign more. ideally i would like to do a miquon math lab on fridays but i haven't figured out miquon yet. :/ do you try to line the miquon up with what they're doing in mm? or just go through the program on it's own?

When we used it, we usually did one section per day, since DS was accelerating through it. I also assigned only about 1/2 the problems. He could usually get a section done in about 30 minutes. If I had assigned all the problems, there would have been meltdowns (he doesn't need that much repetition).

If you do need all the problems, just assign half one day and the other half another day.

I always gauged number of problems assigned based on how well he did the first few problems. If he clearly understood the concept, we did way less problems. If he was fumbling a bit, we might do all the problems (multi-digit multplication in 4A - did ALL of those problems and just split the sections up over more days).