Menu

Mesioden ie. Extra Tooth

We went for an ortho consult this weekend for ds, and we found out he has an extra tooth. It is is still imbedded, between the upper, middle teeth. We are still waiting for the ortho to write up her treatment plan and recommendation for his ortho treatment, but she did mention that he'd need a CT to confirm the tooth (and I'm guessing its exact placement etc.). My dh asked me if I thought a CT scan for a tooth removal seems a bit excessive, but I really don't know. So I'm here, asking you all to shape and form my opinion on the topic:D. Is this normal practice for dealing with this issue? Also, if you've had to deal with this, how did your doctor choose to treat it? It seems we can have it removed now, or leave it and hope it doesn't cause future problems and need to be removed later (after having spent big bucks on "fixing" his teeth with ortho treatment).

Thanks!

Personally, I think a CT scan is excessive, but that's just me. I actually had one of those extra teeth that errupted when I was about 14. I just went to the dentist and they pulled it out at one of my regular cleanings. It really wasn't that big of a deal. They don't even pull wisdom teeth anymore before doing braces, at least not for my dd.

DS1 had an inverted mesiodens removed a few months ago. It was identified when he was a toddler and had an xray for an early cavity. He was followed by his pedi dentist, and then we moved and saw a new dentist. New dentist finally sent us to an oral surgeon who suggested waiting until his upper central incisors fell out, and said they often erupt on their own. When I read the literature, it did not sound like most erupt on their own if inverted, so I found his advice confusing. We sought a 2nd consult with a different oral surgeon who wanted to remove it. He was 8, and his upper central incisors were out when they did it.

I had read a few studies about using CT imagery and was hoping to avoid it. There is an xray technique where they take images in several planes to better locate the mesiodens.

Our oral surgeon took xrays and did not recommend a CT scan. I suppose depending on location, in some instances it may be needed.

They had DS1 sedated and then had to bring him out of sedation mid surgery to do additional xrays, because once they got in there, the oral surgeon was not 100 percent sure what he was looking at, and wanted a few more images. He didn't want to remove the "good" permanent upper central incisor, so I'm thankful he stopped and did the extra xrays. I still prefer that to a CT. They finished the rest of the surgery with nitrous and DS1 was loopy but fine.

My understanding is that timing is fairly important. If it is removed at the wrong time, it can disrupt the roots of the other teeth. eta: I think it can also mess with the "eruptive forces" of the normal teeth in that area if not removed at the proper time. In our case, as soon as the mesiodens was out, the upper central incisor came down right away, whereas before it was removed nothing was happening in that area. Sometimes they need to use a chain to pull it down IIRC, so I was glad we had it erupt fully on its own.

My DS1 is very sensitive, had some early issues with fear of dentistry after his early cavity, and I was really, really anxious about the whole surgery. He did great. He was a little cranky when he came home, mostly because his lips were sore and overstretched from the retractors. He didn't like eating soft foods for a few days. But honestly, after a day he was back to like 85-90 percent of his normal self, and this is in a kid who is quite sensitive about things.

PM me if you want any additional info. Oh, and his upper central incisor that is now erupting is coming in a bit turned (nothing super dramatic), so I'm sure we'll have ortho in the future, but we haven't gone there yet. Oral surgeon said sometimes it may straighten out a bit on its own now that the mesiodens is not in the way. We'll see.

Edited by Momof3littles

How old is he? DS7 had one in the same spot. We found out when he fell and broke a tooth at 2yrs old. They said to wait it out. Then at 6 it started to come in behind the front teeth. The one thing they said can't be determine from an xray is depth (so in other words, that tooth *could* have been in the middle of his palette, but not likely). Once it started to come in and started causing his baby front tooth to bend but not come out, they pulled both. It took 5 minutes in the office under local anesthetic. He didn't even cry but he's a fairly tough dude. If he was my freaky kids, I would have asked for laughing gas. We did that for a filling once with a 6 year old.

Thank you all for sharing your wisdom and advice. Unfortunately, second opinions are hard to come by here, so we are kind of at the mercy of our ortho and our own research. So I really value the opinions and BTDT experiences you all have to offer.

It sounds like having a CT isn't the norm and I'm hesitant to have it done if it isn't necessary. We are still waiting on the complete recommendation of our ortho, but I did get another email from her and she is still insisting that a CT is needed to confirm it. For some reason I get the impression that she isn't 100% sure that what she is seeing on the x-ray is actually a mesioden.

Thanks!

I had a mesioden, as did DH when we were children. Mine was removed when I was 4 as soon as they discovered it during the normal x-rays they do at cleanings. DH's was removed when they took his wisdom teeth out as a teenager. His was inverted, mine wasn't. Neither of us had a CT and neither of us had complications from the surgery.

I would drive somewhere else to get a second opinion. Or get them to explain exactly why it's necessary. If they can't convince you of the necessity, do they really deserve to be allowed to operate on your child?

I would drive somewhere else to get a second opinion. Or get them to explain exactly why it's necessary. If they can't convince you of the necessity, do they really deserve to be allowed to operate on your child?

Yep, I definitely need to have them be more clear about its necessity. If we don't feel comfortable with the answers we get, then we may postpone treatment alltogether, until we return to the States in 18mos. Unfortuantely, going somewhere else isn't really an option. We are already driving 3 hours to see this ortho in Beijing, and don't know of anyone else that is closer that I'd feel any better about.