Menu

Read alouds and multiple kids...

How do you decide what to read? There are books I know I am going to want to read to all of my kids. Do you save them until all the kids can be read to at the same time, or do you just read them again and again? For instance, the Little House Series. My oldest is 5 and I just read the first book. However, she wants to read the rest and I'm thinking that I don't want to b/c I will have to read them ALL over again when my twins are ready, and then again for my littlest (and any future kiddos)... On the other hand, I don't want to miss out on this time with her where she is so excited. What do you all do?

I do a read aloud geared more towards the oldest and one towards the youngest (ds#2 easily moves between the two and so he is usually engaged with both selections). We read many other things aloud during the day, but this is just for literature. So, right now I am reading through the Little House books (a bit young for my oldest but I have never read them and wanted them to know the stories; they are all loving them) and Winnie the Pooh/House at Pooh Corner. Eventually I know I will probably read through the Little House Series again, but probably not until dd is close to ds#3's age. But, with some of the other things on our list (most everything else is aimed more at the upper elementary/middle school age), I know I'll read them again for ds#3 and then probably again (maybe) for dd. I figured the older ones will probably still want to listen (ds#1 LOVES to listen to stories), and will more than likely get more out of the stories the 2nd or 3rd time around.

I would read what we're excited about reading (either one or both kids or me or all of us). If you're not thrilled about reading the Little House series again by round #3, you can always pick up an audio book. But I tend to be more fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants when it comes to choosing read alouds, so ymmv.

I have the philosophy that a book worth reading is worth reading again.

Some books (like Charlotte's Web and some of the Little House books) I have read aloud many times - and will again, as I still have little ones to grow into them. I am currently reading aloud "Red Sails to Capri' and the older kids still giggle over my silly accents and anticipate what they know is coming up. My older kids have heard some books multiple times, and they don't usually mind because......

A book worth reading is worth reading again. ;)

I should also add that I do only read what is appropriate for all ages when we all read together. If I want to read something to my teens ('cause they still like read-alouds) that is only appropriate for them, then I do that at another time - usually in their room in the evening when youngers have gone to bed. It's a special time then when we get to share older books.

How do you decide what to read? There are books I know I am going to want to read to all of my kids. Do you save them until all the kids can be read to at the same time, or do you just read them again and again? For instance, the Little House Series. My oldest is 5 and I just read the first book. However, she wants to read the rest and I'm thinking that I don't want to b/c I will have to read them ALL over again when my twins are ready, and then again for my littlest (and any future kiddos)... On the other hand, I don't want to miss out on this time with her where she is so excited. What do you all do?

I can't answer your specific question.

But you likely wouldn't have to read all the Little House books. I found the only ones that work well for that age are:

The Little House in the Big Woods

The Little House on the Prairie

Farmer Boy

I found that after those books the typical young kid enjoys each book less and less.