Menu

Accelerated reading

I remember discussions about AR reading program but I can't find any threads. Does your school use it? What do you think about it? My son, who loves to read, doesn't want to go to school or pick up a book anymore because he is so worried about reading tests.

That's really sad. I have not heard of that program.

I remember discussions about AR reading program but I can't find any threads. Does your school use it? What do you think about it? My son, who loves to read, doesn't want to go to school or pick up a book anymore because he is so worried about reading tests.

My public school uses it. It killed my son's love of reading. If I had to do it all over again, I would have tried to speak with the teacher and not have my son participate. I am not sure how successful that conversation would have been though.

The biggest negative for my son was that he was no longer able to choose the books that he wanted to read. While the AR book list is rather extensive, many of the AR books were not availiable at our small library, and my son's choices in books was very limited. To make matters worse, the teacher made him choose only books that were at his AR reading level, which added to my son's frustration level.

Edited by snowbeltmom

My youngest had to use the AR program in sixth grade. I despise it.

I especially dislike the idea of giving rewards for learning. Why? Because it sends the messsage to students that reading is so boring, rewards must be given. I'm an old fuddy dud, though, and I'm sure there are people out there who like rewards.

What I also dislike is limiting students to a particular level. I've known kids who trudged through tough stuff just because they liked the story; conversely, some of the lower grade material can be appropriate at times. For example, I remember spending three school days reading an illustrated version of Lassie -- a picture book below most of their reading levels -- but the kids just loved the story; they were engaged.

My other problem with AR is the wacky point system. My son tested at a high level and had to read at a fast pace in order to reach his points. He was just gobbling books willy-nilly and stressing out from it. I asked his teacher to reduce his points, which kind of ticked her off, but she relented.

Try to push for the Junior Great Books program. My two older kids had that from kindy through eighth grade, and I think it helped them quite a bit later in high school. If your school won't do it -- which after paying for AR, they probably won't -- set up your own group.

Or, use Core Knowledge's wonderful Realms of Gold with your child:

http://books.coreknowledge.org/home.php?cat=322

Table of contents for Volume 1:

http://www.coreknowledge.org/mimik/mimik_uploads/documents/618/Realms1_TOC.pdf

So he is threatened with a test on Harry Potter. This is the book he is reading for pleasure but often takes to school. He is in the second grade and not used to testing yet. I would hate for him to think reading always entails some tedious testing. Oh boy. With his perfectionism, this is going to be one miserable year then.

Is AR usually optional? meaning is that something in addition to school or is it usually their core reading program? What is a reward system?

I will ask about Junior Great Books program, but I am guessing if it isn't mentioned, we don't have it. :001_unsure:

Anybody has positive experiences to cheer me up?

Harry Potter is not a test that most fail; I've seen many who listened to the book pass at the 90 and above as well as those who read it independently. Maybe to up his confidence he could do the BookAdventure quiz first.

AR is optional at some schools; rewards are optional too. You'll need to query the teacher to find out how it is done at your school. The main positive is that students from homes that don't value reading meet people who do, and then get involved in conversations about good books and finding out that there is good useable knowledge in books.

I will tell him this to calm his anxiety :D

I use AR heavily in my own classroom, although I have never outright made it mandatory. It can be a great program if people don't take it too seriously. Basically, it encourages those to read who may not otherwise, mostly the boys who thrive on competition and sports.

By the time we begin testing after a couple more weeks I will have narrowed down at which levels kids are reading. My classroom books are leveled, but kids can read pretty much anything they want. I do try to guide the kids who are struggling, and pretty much give free reign to the kids who love reading and just want to explore the library at all topics/levels. I do try to discourage strong readers from dwelling in levels far below their abilities. I can usually get a kid to read a more appropriate book if I get a few copies and let them form a book club with their friends.

It's gotta be a win/win for everyone involved or there is no point.

My kids use this. I have no problems with it so far. Well, actually I am always suspicious of comprehension tests, because everyone is going to notice different details and make different inferences etc. But so far nobody is traumatized.

I like that it encourages my kids to read every day.

But it drives me nuts to see my advanced reader bring home KG-level books. She seems to be afraid to test on challenging books. One of her favorite books is The Lorax, which she's read many times, but she hasn't built up the courage to test on it. I could kind of see that - how do you test for comprehension of a Dr. Seuss book? Though I'm sure she would do fine.

• 1 month later...

grrrr. So every kid reads a different book, takes a silly silly test that's meant to test comprehension and off you go. They don't even stop one time to discuss books, talk about characters, themes, what the book is about, NO DISCUSSION AT ALL. It's a race my kid finally figured out how to win and in the process forgot what reading books is all about.

I am really getting tired of listening to myself complain.

The sad thing is, teachers at school think it's the best thing ever :sad:

AR is all about quantity not quality. Here is a link to the New York Times Sunday Book Review that sums up AR and the quest for points over encouraging good books with literary value. Why read "To Kill a Mockingbird (12 points) or "Lord of the Flies" (9 points) when you can read "Twilight" (18 points) or "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (32 points)?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/books/review/Straight-t.html?_r=0

The sad thing is, teachers at school think it's the best thing ever :sad:

For my kids, it was the best thing, because it was the only kind of differentiation in the classroom. Everything else was one size fits all. Had the AR program not allowed DD to read books on her 8th grade reading level when she was in 3rd grade, she would have lost her mind of sheer boredom. It was the only thing that made attending school bearable.

For my kids, it was the best thing, because it was the only kind of differentiation in the classroom. Everything else was one size fits all. Had the AR program not allowed DD to read books on her 8th grade reading level when she was in 3rd grade, she would have lost her mind of sheer boredom. It was the only thing that made attending school bearable.

That's sad and not unlike our situation.

It's second grade and kids are capable of reading E.B. White for example and discussing. Yes half an hour of free reading is at his level because of AR, but I would rather see a "great books program" implemented instead where the class actively discusses books.

We're a couple of months in, and so far, I think the AR program has been good for my 1st grade daughters. They do engage in the books and I am pretty sure they are reading more than they would if there were no daily test. They still tend to choose books below their "reading level," but as long as they are really engaging in the books, I'm OK with this, because reading is more than just acquiring fluency. I can challenge them in other ways.

I could see how the program could be problematic for an older child who is focused on the points rather than the content. More isn't always better.

I agree there should be some discussion of some of the books. I would think that occurs outside of the AR program. I don't think it's necessary to discuss every book the child reads. That would have been a demotivator for me as a kid. It would be like having to tell the class about all my daydreams. ;) I do notice that my daughters enjoy sharing fun parts of books with each other, but requiring it in class is a different matter.

I do wonder why they call it "accelerated" reading. At least in our school so far, there is no "accelerating" going on; quite the opposite, in fact. Does that change as the kids get older?

I think the name stems from the fact that reading skills develop more rapidly if students read more, so the primary goal of the program is to give students an incentive to red more. I do not think it has anything to do with acceleration in the sense of progressing earlier to higher grade levels, although it provides a convenient vehicle for teachers to accommodate students who are reading at a higher grade level.

It's second grade and kids are capable of reading E.B. White for example and discussing.

make that "some kids". there are plenty of 2nd graders whose reading skills are not adequate for independent reading of EB White.

but I would rather see a "great books program" implemented instead where the class actively discusses books.

What "Great books" are on 2nd grade reading level? :confused:

What level of active class discussion would you expect from an average 2nd grade class?

I am not sure I'd want that for my 2nd grader if he is a strong reader...my DD was were very unhappy when she was forced to read 2nd grade level books.

What I ran into for my DD was that books on her ZPD weren't interesting (or, often, age appropriate) for her. Or, for that matter, carried in the elementary school library, because she tested at the top of the stupid STAR at age 5 as a kinder. Luckily, the school librarian already had set up the system so that kids over a 6.0 automatically had access to books at a 5.0-12.9 (or whatever the top was) because so many of the 6th-8th graders in the K-8 school were into high school reading levels, so at least she had access to 5th grade level books, but there still weren't many that were really a good fit for a 5 yr old out there. She ended up reading several books of the bible and doing AR tests on them. What was even more annoying was that she was in a pull-out reading program where she was reading books with an advanced group of 3rd graders-but most of those books were books that the computer wouldn't let her read for AR-so the rest of her reading class could count the books, but she couldn't because her reading level was tested as too high.

FWIW, my DD generally enjoyed AR tests-or, more specifically, I think she enjoyed being the only kindergartner on the big display board in the hall, but the fact that my DD was refusing books based on the color of the dot on the spine, when said books would have been a good fit FOR HER at the time, really bothered me.

I think the name stems from the fact that reading skills develop more rapidly if students read more, so the primary goal of the program is to give students an incentive to red more. I do not think it has anything to do with acceleration in the sense of progressing earlier to higher grade levels, although it provides a convenient vehicle for teachers to accommodate students who are reading at a higher grade level.

And I would say that in some schools, there is a definite focus on pushing through those grade levels on the test. The school librarian at my DD's former school once told that her goal was to have all of her students on post high school on the STAR by the time they left the school at 8th grade, and I know a lot of parents who brag about their child's AR level.

What I ran into for my DD was that books on her ZPD weren't interesting (or, often, age appropriate) for her. Or, for that matter, carried in the elementary school library, because she tested at the top of the stupid STAR at age 5 as a kinder. Luckily, the school librarian already had set up the system so that kids over a 6.0 automatically had access to books at a 5.0-12.9 (or whatever the top was) because so many of the 6th-8th graders in the K-8 school were into high school reading levels, so at least she had access to 5th grade level books, but there still weren't many that were really a good fit for a 5 yr old out there. She ended up reading several books of the bible and doing AR tests on them. What was even more annoying was that she was in a pull-out reading program where she was reading books with an advanced group of 3rd graders-but most of those books were books that the computer wouldn't let her read for AR-so the rest of her reading class could count the books, but she couldn't because her reading level was tested as too high.

FWIW, my DD generally enjoyed AR tests-or, more specifically, I think she enjoyed being the only kindergartner on the big display board in the hall, but the fact that my DD was refusing books based on the color of the dot on the spine, when said books would have been a good fit FOR HER at the time, really bothered me.

Are you saying that kids who test into a certain level are not allowed to test on books "below" that level? I guess I'm unclear as to what the restrictions are. They let kids read above their age/interest level but not below their reading level?

Even as an adult there are some picture books that I would find enjoyable if not enriching. I guess it's fair to not give *me* credit for reading those books, but a young child should not be effectively prevented from reading good literature targeted at her age group.

Are you saying that kids who test into a certain level are not allowed to test on books "below" that level? I guess I'm unclear as to what the restrictions are. They let kids read above their age/interest level but not below their reading level?

It depends on the way the teacher handles the program, but yes, in our school, it worked like this: kid takes STAR test to determine reading level. Teacher/librarian determines a zone of reading levels around the test result and only books in that zone count for the AR program. The child can still read everything he wants, just not for "points". The goal is obviously to challenge the kids and to prevent children from constantly reading "easy" books.

So, if a 3rd grader tests at 5.5, the teacher may decide that appropriate AR reading level is 4.8 through 6.0 - so 3.0 books won't count.

There is no "age" level with AR, only reading levels (which are somewhat related to average grade level, but kids' reading level can deviate wildly from his grade level).

OTOH, I have also encountered the reverse: teachers who insisted that certain books were "too hard" for my kid, even though her reading level and previous selection of books clearly indicated that this was an appropriate choice. A huge pet peeve of mine; no teacher should EVER tell a child something is too hard without letting the child try.

It depends on the way the teacher handles the program, but yes, in our school, it worked like this: kid takes STAR test to determine reading level. Teacher/librarian determines a zone of reading levels around the test result and only books in that zone count for the AR program. The child can still read everything he wants, just not for "points". The goal is obviously to challenge the kids and to prevent children from constantly reading "easy" books.

So, if a 3rd grader tests at 5.5, the teacher may decide that appropriate AR reading level is 4.8 through 6.0 - so 3.0 books won't count.

There is no "age" level with AR, only reading levels (which are somewhat related to average grade level, but kids' reading level can deviate wildly from his grade level).

OTOH, I have also encountered the reverse: teachers who insisted that certain books were "too hard" for my kid, even though her reading level and previous selection of books clearly indicated that this was an appropriate choice. A huge pet peeve of mine; no teacher should EVER tell a child something is too hard without letting the child try.

Hmm. That doesn't seem to be the way it's done here, but it could just be that it starts a little later.

I guess I'm in two minds on this. I mean, there are a lot of "easy" books that have no literary value that I can see. My dd is only reading those for "points" and I would not mind if she were guided away from them. On the other hand, there are some "easy" books that are worth reading. I would rather my kid read a classic easy book like "Little Bear" over a more challenging contemporary book such as "Strawberry Shortcake's Candy Surprise." ;)

One problem I see with the daily testing push is that my dd doesn't have much time for really meaty books. She will bring home several "easy" books to get the immediate points and put off the interesting stuff indefinitely. She asked my sister to buy her Stuart Little and she received a very nice version with lots of color pictures. But when will she sit down and read it? I don't know.

make that "some kids". there are plenty of 2nd graders whose reading skills are not adequate for independent reading of EB White.

What "Great books" are on 2nd grade reading level? :confused:

What level of active class discussion would you expect from an average 2nd grade class?

I am not sure I'd want that for my 2nd grader if he is a strong reader...my DD was were very unhappy when she was forced to read 2nd grade level books.

http://www.greatbooks.org/programs-for-all-ages/junior.html

This program. Some parents are trying to get the school to look at it. With an exception of few, everybody is reading well here. Given the demographics they can do soo much more. Parents are frustrated because AR tests don't really test understanding on a deeper level and Language arts is now completely based on feeling out as many worksheets as possible.

I am not used to this. We always had a lit program growing up - began with folk tales, then gradually increased in difficulty. We read at home. And discussed and wrote about in the classroom.Discussed characters, themes. Charlottes Web has so much going on and is perfect for 7/8 year olds.

I see pros and cons. Pros, it's helped motivate my DD. Cons, the book levels often make no sense. It's based on some sort of computer metric. Lord of the Rings is not rated as difficult as Harry Potter.

Here library has two sections and you aren't allowed to check anything out from the section intended for 4 and 5 graders due to more inappropriate interest level. That's despite our reading level. Guess which books are in that section? Harry Potter. My kid read 4 of Harry Potter books at home, but he can't check it out from school library. Level 5 I think is the highest allowed for second graders. The teacher has a stack of books for different levels in the classroom kids get to choose from. I don't know many of them but I do recognize some. My DS has been reading Ralph the Mouse at shool and Hobbit at home. He is also going for short books to get points. That all that seems to matter.

Edited by Roadrunner

Charlottes Web has so much going on and is perfect for 7/8 year olds.

I do agree with this, but I would be reluctant to put the "best" literature up for classroom discussion in primary school. I read Charlotte's Web around that age and I adored it, and I still adore it 40 years later. However, if I'd had to go back and forth with my teacher(s) and fellow students about each interesting aspect of it, I probably would have only tolerated it.

To me, a great work of literature - especially fiction - is supposed to touch each person in a different way, even multiple different ways depending on when and how it's read over the years. For me, the best journey through a great book was a lone journey. Fine if we read it as a class a year or so later, but not on my first time through.

This is why, hard as it is, I am holding back from pushing my kid to read the great books that I know she could read and love. I just make sure they are available and mention how much I loved them as a kid. Maybe throw in a teaser here and there. But the minute I push it, it is no longer reading for pleasure, and that takes a lot out of a great book.

I do agree with this, but I would be reluctant to put the "best" literature up for classroom discussion in primary school. I read Charlotte's Web around that age and I adored it, and I still adore it 40 years later. However, if I'd had to go back and forth with my teacher(s) and fellow students about each interesting aspect of it, I probably would have only tolerated it.

To me, a great work of literature - especially fiction - is supposed to touch each person in a different way, even multiple different ways depending on when and how it's read over the years. For me, the best journey through a great book was a lone journey. Fine if we read it as a class a year or so later, but not on my first time through.

This is why, hard as it is, I am holding back from pushing my kid to read the great books that I know she could read and love. I just make sure they are available and mention how much I loved them as a kid. Maybe throw in a teaser here and there. But the minute I push it, it is no longer reading for pleasure, and that takes a lot out of a great book.

See I read Deconstructing Penguins couple of years ago and I would love that type of discussion in the classroom. I guess I should just try it at home.

That problem is solved here by reading a nonfic 0.5 book a day, while continuing with the 'chapter' book. Test on longer selection when done.

Hmm, I guess I could discourage her from bringing home multiple books each day, but I hate to tamper with something that she handles pretty well on her own. I will give it some more thought.

One problem I see with the daily testing push is that my dd doesn't have much time for really meaty books. She will bring home several "easy" books to get the immediate points and put off the interesting stuff indefinitely.

Talk to the teacher. My DD's teachers were very accommodating; as long as the child read a hard thick book and was making steady progress, she was exempt from the daily testing requirement - because one test on her one book would give her all the required points for the quarter. It worked well for many school years with different teachers.

OTOH, one year DS had an idiotic teacher who punished him with loss of recess because he did not meet the weekly AR goal: he was reading a thick book and was not done; she actually told me he should know better, and he should test over a 0.5 pt book to get to the "goal" . Arrrrgh. (That was shortly before we pulled him out to homeschool)

Another strategy competitive parents use to win the points game is to have the child read a long fiction book over a vacation period, then test on that first day back.

When you go in to your p-t conference, ask what the goal is in terms of amt read and level. Here the state wants X number of books read during the school year, so the school is pulling the ar data to show that they have accomplished the goal. Less time consuming than reading logs.

Competitive parents? How about competitive kids:001_smile:.

This is how my kid is beating the system. He does little ones at school to get daily points. His teacher tests him on all the books he reads at home even though he isn't allowd to choose them at school. So, he has so many points just passing Harry Potter ones ( which to his delight he discovered were easy). He wants me to investigate which books have lots of points so he can pick those, which I refuse todo. I didn't even realize there were point goals.

Our school has minimum point goals and a reward goal.

First graders only need 6 points per quarter to meet the minimum.

They need 75 to get on the "wall of fame" and participate in the annual ice cream party.

My dd has 35 points at the end of the first quarter, LOL. All of them were 0.5 point books. She wants that ice cream! I think she will reach 75 before the 2nd report card at the rate she's going.

They also have a comprehension goal of at least 85% on average. And if they don't get at least 60% on a book, they get 0 points. My dd decided to get cocky one day and test on a book she had not read. Big fat zero = good learning experience! ;)