Menu

Our rabbits got eaten by a mountain lion last night

Did you ever watch the old Hailey Mills Parent Trap? They have mountain lion protection tips in that:D

I am sorry about your rabbits. Is there a way to lock things down more so your place was a one off hit rather than becoming a regular snack stop?

Edited by Northwest_Mama

Are they known to attack kids or adults? I mean, the kids have to play outside, get fresh air. What are you planning to do?

I *think* they are mostly out at night. It was around midnight or so when the dog started freaking out by the doors and windows. Kids are staying in after dinner and dh is teaching me to use a gun :/

I *think* they are mostly out at night. It was around midnight or so when the dog started freaking out by the doors and windows. Kids are staying in after dinner and dh is teaching me to use a gun :/

Actually around dusk is the worst time for them. So generally speaking the kids should be fine but keep the dog indoors too.

It's also that Wyoming is in its worst drought ever and keeps having wildfire issues. It impacts game food supplies which can drive them too close to people. :(

This is exactly it. We had a 65,000 acre fire right here in July. Its scary. Dh just got of the phone with the Game Warden. He is going to come over tomorrow and check things out and get some traps set.

Yeah I am freaked out. Our dog went nuts last night but didnt dare let her out because we thought it was a person. Turned all the lights on in the house and looked outside but didn't see anything. Dd's found a few paws, ears and lion tracks this morning.

:scared: i am sorry about your rabbits. Watch your kids closely! Do you have a gun? If not, I would consider one.

:001_huh:

I live in the mountain lion land and this isn't funny. I wouldn't let little ones out without supervision.

:iagree:

After watching ds get tracked by one at the zoo when he was around four yrs old, I would make it my mission to be outside at all times when my dc were out. It was scary and unnerving to watch, even with the creature behind a fence.

:iagree:

After watching ds get tracked by one at the zoo when he was around four yrs old, I would make it my mission to be outside at all times when my dc were out. It was scary and unnerving to watch, even with the creature behind a fence.

Yeah. They are nasty things! We knew they were around here when we moved but as time goes by with nothing you get more and more lax. Guess this just goes to show you can't do that. A neighbor behind us (4 houses on our street, 4 behind us (same street) then HUGE hill into the Black Hills where they live) took a picture of one in his back yard in June. I REALLY hope it is the same one-- otherwise there are more than 1 :001_huh:

:grouphug: I'm sorry to hear about the rabbits.

We had a big problem with not-shy coyotes in the woods behind our street. They've moved on to greener pastures over the past few months, but for a long time the kids (both of them teens) didn't go outside after dark without a super bright flashlight, the pit bull, and a walking stick or two. Now we have guns in the house if they come back.

You live in WY and don't know how to use a gun??? lol I thought all Wyomingites knew how to shoot. ;)

Yeah. They are nasty things! We knew they were around here when we moved but as time goes by with nothing you get more and more lax. Guess this just goes to show you can't do that. A neighbor behind us (4 houses on our street, 4 behind us (same street) then HUGE hill into the Black Hills where they live) took a picture of one in his back yard in June. I REALLY hope it is the same one-- otherwise there are more than 1 :001_huh:

There's likely only 1. It would surprise me if there were more, but you never know, right?

That's why we have the livestock guardian dogs. We were losing sooo many animals to the lions, bears and coyotes. We've not lost anything since getting them. The lion decided that our fancy registered Shetland sheep were even tastier than the horses... We have a few less coyotes as of last night. Heard the kill and the male Akbash came in covered in blood. Dogs 2, coyotes 0. :D

Yes ma'am. A livestock guardian dog is very helpful when you live in areas such as the OP.

Hope it's not a teenager. Seriously, adult mountain lions at least know better what they are hunting and have some restraint. Younger ones are impulsive and more dangerous.

:D

The Cougar at the zoo where we volunteer did this to DS13 once last year while we were raking outside of her enclosure. Honestly, we thought it was awesome to watch... but we're weird like that. Now, had that been in my yard it wouldn't have been so cool.

Hey- I am not a native lol. Apparently dh says that is his mission now though- to teach me. :001_huh:

LOL Just trying to give you a hard time. Wolf or coyote, huh? Either one isn't a good idea around kids. What are your plans for handling everything? Traps? I've never dealt with this problem personally.

LOL Just trying to give you a hard time. Wolf or coyote, huh? Either one isn't a good idea around kids. What are your plans for handling everything? Traps? I've never dealt with this problem personally.

I know :001_smile:

He (the game warden) said to let him know if we notice anymore and we will go from there. :001_huh: Yeah-- no. not playing around. We are keeping a gun around. He said they don't usually come this close to people (there are our 4 houses then 4 houses behind ours then a huge hill that leads to the Black Hills so it is complete wilderness back there for MILES and MILES. We are keeping a close eye with our gun ready. Keeping kids in front of the house where we can see them. Watching the chickens close.