Menu

Narnia--- The Horse and His Boy

KristenR

We LOVED The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe. We tore through those books like new Narnia-addicts!

We're about 3 chapters into the Horse and His Boy and are not "feeling it" yet. Does this book pick up? Just curious. We won't drop it because my girls are interested enough but we all seem strangely subdued about this one. And yes, I realize I fell into the trap of reading the series in the chronological order and not the published order. I wrote about it for those of you who may be ignorant of the differences too.

I agree, it does pick up, so keep plugging away! Out of the 7 books, if I ranked them by how much I enjoy them, it's about 6 (I won't tell you what I would put as 7, since I don't what to influence your thinking! :D), but even so, I like that book better as an adult than I did as a child.

Have fun reading the whole series!

Agreed with everyone who said this one feels different. I also agree with those who said this is their favorite book in the series. (Apparently I'm feeling QUITE agreeable tonight. Who knew.)

One of my favorite sets of stories is Arabian Nights, and I'm pretty sure one of the reasons I'm so crazy about THAHB is it's similar in style to that sort of tale. Once Shasta meets his traveling buddy, who might as well be a young Scheherazade (with maybe some Anne Shirley mixed in), you'll see what I mean. It's gorgeous and rich and hilarious.