Menu

Do you (how) make your consumable curr non-consumable?

mamamindy

Does anyone try to do this by making copies of everything? In particular, our Singapore Math WBs. I know I would only need to repurchase the WBs, but I have 4 children (so far) and figure I could save a lot in the long run if I could somehow cut the binding off the WB and make copies. It's difficult to make copies in my copier with the binding in the way... Is this worth my time and effort?

I do make copies of *some* workbooks (that allow copying within the family), but it would usually be workbooks that are more expensive. I have not made copies of Singapore workbooks. They're a pretty decent size, and they're fairly cheap. I figure if I pay $15-20 for math for a year for each kid, that's not that bad.

I have a printer that lets me do duplex scanning, and then I can print with my laser printer. That's how I usually do "copies" if I'm going to. I do NOT do copies and then sell an unused workbook while using the copies. I do sometimes use a protective sheet to use dry erase marker on a workbook if I'm not sure if I'll want to continue with an expensive workbook (Dancing Bears is one of those, though I have done the "checks" in light pencil, and my 3 year old traced some letters on one page with a marker, so there goes that idea... :lol:).

I don't use a gazillion workbooks, so workbooks are really one of the cheaper items in my school. It's real books that cost so much. :tongue_smilie: I'm sure I'll spend much less money replacing workbooks than I would buying school supplies and such for public school.

Check the copyright information first. But the best way to save money is to buy with 4 kids in mind. Choose companies that either allow copying within the family or sell as a PDF that you can print out (I think Peace Hill Press is great in this respect). Or go with textbooks, and have the children do work in a notebook/loose paper or type it into the computer.

Whether it's worth it or not is simple math. I cut the binding off my eldest son's First Form Laitn worksheets just so he could write with his hand flat. I used an exacto knife and a metal ruler. It really didn't take that long, and you can listen to music or something at the same time. Or you can have a place like Staples do it for ~$3. Then you need to price printing it. I have a laser printer, use off-brand toner, and cheap Wal-mart paper so it's pretty cheap for me.

You can slip a sheet protector (cut the long side of the page protector off, so it can slide on) over the page and have the child use a dry-erase marker/crayon. The only issue is it's difficult to write neatly.

Yeah, after thinking about it, I'd rather just buy some more Singapore WBs than make all those copies. (I also have duplex scanner/laser printer, so won't cost much - but it's my time that's so expensive. :)) I make copies of all my SOTW coloring pages (I bought the AG as a download) and the WWE student pages since my girls like to color the little pictures. I never even considered not being able to make copies for all my children! I've never sold anything though, and don't plan to. Now that sound like a lot of effort! :lol:

Check the copyright information first. But the best way to save money is to buy with 4 kids in mind. Choose companies that either allow copying within the family or sell as a PDF that you can print out (I think Peace Hill Press is great in this respect). Or go with textbooks, and have the children do work in a notebook/loose paper or type it into the computer.

Whether it's worth it or not is simple math. I cut the binding off my eldest son's First Form Laitn worksheets just so he could write with his hand flat. I used an exacto knife and a metal ruler. It really didn't take that long, and you can listen to music or something at the same time. Or you can have a place like Staples do it for ~$3. Then you need to price printing it. I have a laser printer, use off-brand toner, and cheap Wal-mart paper so it's pretty cheap for me.

You can slip a sheet protector (cut the long side of the page protector off, so it can slide on) over the page and have the child use a dry-erase marker/crayon. The only issue is it's difficult to write neatly.

Great ideas! And ditto on the cheap toner and Wal-mart paper. ;) We use very little WBs, but since this is our first child to buy (everything!) for, it's just adding up! I guess I should've planned our budget a little better, but I really didn't know how much it might cost to homeschool. (And I have no idea how much school supplies would've cost us since we've never done that either.) Thanks again!

I try to purchase downloads for things that I will use with more than one child. I think I have 8GB of school downloads right now. I just added a 16GB flash drive to the ring. :lol:

If that isn't possible then I use a dry erase sleeve from RR or I have them work on a white board. I have some things that I just took the binding off so I can slip the individual pages into sleeves. I am learning how to scan things on to my ipad too, so that might be an option in the future.

I've never used a white board or page protectors since I like to have records of completed work but I have made many copies. I don't do it with big or inexpensive workbooks but if I pay $20 for a 40 page workbook I do copies and put them in a folder with brads in the middle as inexpensive binding.

Perhaps it's wrong but I don't think what I do in my own home on my home copy machine and with workbooks that I purchased is the business of the publisher as long as I'm only using it within my own family and not reselling the blank workbook. I don't see how it's all that different than skirting buying more workbooks by using dry erase markers on plastic.

In high school my teachers would often make copies of books (not workbooks, literature) because they were allowed unlimited copying, were not given funds to buy a class set of books, and knew if they required the book many parents would not buy it.

Found this on copyright.gov, it refers to non profit educational and library use:

107 · Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

The fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criti- cism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

I learn and plan well by looking at worksheets. Often I look at a worksheet and then create a similar notebook page, that I expect the student to copy. Evan-Moor daily science grade 1 is getting a LOT of use here as a TM and spine, but NOT as a workbook.

I often use text heavy worksheets as read alouds, that the student never sees.

I often just copy math problems from a worksheet onto paper.

I've been tutoring up a storm, often from resources meant to be consumable, and have only printed a handful of pages in over a month. I'm really proud and excited about how well I have adapted to my main printer dying. And the students seem to like the changes. More reading aloud and notebooking.

And I am using more oldschool books that were never meant to be consumable. If it wasn't for the printer failure I never would have found and fell in love with How to Tutor. I bought a used hardcover copy that is quite yellowed and I have written SO many notes in it already. It look like a new convert's Bible. :lol:

I second using page protectors. I actually purchased dry erase pockets (the pages fit so much better and don't slide around). I then purchased the finest tip dry erase markers I could find...and when those weren't fine enough for certain sections of Singapore's Extra Practice workbook, I purchased super fine point Sharpies, which will wipe off with some elbow grease and dry erase cleaning spray.

I second using page protectors. I actually purchased dry erase pockets (the pages fit so much better and don't slide around). I then purchased the finest tip dry erase markers I could find...and when those weren't fine enough for certain sections of Singapore's Extra Practice workbook, I purchased super fine point Sharpies, which will wipe off with some elbow grease and dry erase cleaning spray.

Alcohol will take the Sharpie right off.

I prefer to buy the Singapore workbooks. For younger children I think using a pencil is better for handwriting habits. Plus my oldest is left-handed and dry erase markers are hard for her to use.

I also really try to buy with multiple siblings in mind. I will only need to rebuy handwriting, phonics and Singapore workbooks for my younger kids. I think it's a good deal.

I've been using a page protector and dry erase markers for math and critical thinking. I have her write in HWT, kumon, and DEL. I don't know if I'll always keep her from writing in the math wb, but the one I got this year I knew might be too easy. I'd rather save it for number 2 if DD1 is going to fly through it in a few weeks.

You could also try a disappearing ink pen. I've used this one years ago and it worked. You do need to let the pages open to the air. Sometimes there will be little spots of ink that don't disappear (like when you use a marker and there are certain spots where the marker is on the paper a bit longer when writing...so that spot is darker...if that makes any sense at all).

ETA: If you decide to try this, test it first because I don't want to be responsible for it not disappearing.