Menu

White board for handwriting??

Guest xap

I heard a rumor that there might be something negative about using a white board (instead of chalk board) for handwriting. I was planning on using a white board on the wall and also a small desk one for this purpose. I got a triangle pencil-grip that I'm going to force onto some otherwise thin, dry erase markers, and I thought it would be great. If there's something wrong with this plan, please let me know! :)

I have used a white board for much of our handwriting practice. The kids love it for some reason. They will generally moan and groan about paper and pencil, but are happy to use a white board. Plus they use their finger to go over the letter and erase it, thus getting to practice each letter twice ;).

I don't know if there is a major drawback to using white boards, so I am :bigear:.

I'm not certain, but it may be that the resistance of chalk on chalkboard is greater than marker on whiteboard, which may provide a better tactile sensation for children who need it. My boys still have the strangest pencil grip, and it drives me batty...so much so that I have just begun allowing them to write ONLY on a chalkboard. With tiny pieces of chalk:tongue_smilie:

I'm not certain, but it may be that the resistance of chalk on chalkboard is greater than marker on whiteboard, which may provide a better tactile sensation for children who need it.

Hmmm, I was thinking marker would be nicer than dry erase crayons, so that there wouldn't be resistance which might interrupt the flow of things. (and we will be doing cursive) But I guess chalk would still flow decently while giving some tactile sensation.

:iagree:

I'm pretty sure this would be the only real drawback.....

That's it. Chalk on chalkboard is better for learning letters/words than whiteboards due to the tactile resistance.

I do use the white board to change things up but for certain things chalk on board is best.

Alternatively I use a crayon on large piece of paper -- again, you get the resistance with a lot of tactile input.

That's it. Chalk on chalkboard is better for learning letters/words than whiteboards due to the tactile resistance.

I do use the white board to change things up but for certain things chalk on board is best.

Alternatively I use a crayon on large piece of paper -- again, you get the resistance with a lot of tactile input.

I hesitate to invest in a chalk board, since I'm told that chalk has to be held differently than other writing utensils (besides the dusty aspect).

So how would dry erase crayons compare in all this? They would definitely have resistance, but I'm wondering if it's almost too much unless you're only doing ball and stick things.

I hesitate to invest in a chalk board, since I'm told that chalk has to be held differently than other writing utensils (besides the dusty aspect).

So how would dry erase crayons compare in all this? They would definitely have resistance, but I'm wondering if it's almost too much unless you're only doing ball and stick things.

I didn't even know they existed until you mentioned them. They look like they might work and give the same kind of feedback. I'd be curious if anyone else has used them.

I didn't even know they existed until you mentioned them. They look like they might work and give the same kind of feedback. I'd be curious if anyone else has used them.

In my using them, I thought they were a bit hard to make nice marks with (light pressure produces marks that are too light), while they also seem like a cheap wax that leaves clumps behind etc. But if someone likes them for their children above markers, I'm all ears!