Menu

Reading curriculum?

DragonFaerie

When you say reading do you mean phonics, comprehension, fluency or....?

Yes. :D I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what the problem is. When he reads, he just skips words he doesn't know, or he'll sound them out and move on whether it makes any sense or not. He reads well enough to get the general idea, but the whole of language arts is a problem for him. We've already got grammar, spelling and vocabulary that I'm pretty happy with, although I had to back him off to a 2nd grade level in the vocabulary. He's doing writing but I may add something else to that. Now I need to figure out the reading. Online is best (he hates for me to "teach" him), and he needs something that will read to/for him, or that he can read along with. He needs to hear things being read aloud.... a lot... more than I can manage right now.

Although he "hates" for you to teach him, IMHO that's what he needs: for him to read aloud to you, in everything he does. He needs to accept the fact that you are his teacher. And you will do a far better job of helping him to correct a bad habit than any computer program will, 'cuz you're the Mom.:)

Although he "hates" for you to teach him, IMHO that's what he needs: for him to read aloud to you, in everything he does. He needs to accept the fact that you are his teacher. And you will do a far better job of helping him to correct a bad habit than any computer program will, 'cuz you're the Mom.:)

I agree. When it comes to reading, the best cure is reading aloud regularly. It helps with decoding and fluency. It takes time, but it pays off.

Joy

More and more I think I'm fighting a losing battle here. I desperately want to keep homeschooling, but I have to work, too. I really, really, really need the kids to be able to be independent here (hence the need for online curriculum) or else I'm going to have to put them back in school. I was really hoping to find some other way to help him. I'm drowning here.

We just started Reading Kingdom with my 3rd grade son. It isn't cheap, though, $20/month. But they have a 30-day free trial which we are using right now. I am desperate enough that if it actually works for him, I will pay the money once the trial period is up. He has only been doing it for 4 days, but it is online and completely independent (they don't want the parent helping out at all).

I still have my son read to me, of course, but he really needed something else. His level of reading is so low, and nothing seemed to help.

I can't say whether it will work yet, but you might want to take a look anyway, or at least try the free trial.

Good luck!

We just started Reading Kingdom with my 3rd grade son. It isn't cheap, though, $20/month. But they have a 30-day free trial which we are using right now. I am desperate enough that if it actually works for him, I will pay the money once the trial period is up. He has only been doing it for 4 days, but it is online and completely independent (they don't want the parent helping out at all).

I still have my son read to me, of course, but he really needed something else. His level of reading is so low, and nothing seemed to help.

I can't say whether it will work yet, but you might want to take a look anyway, or at least try the free trial.

Good luck!

Thank you. I'll take a look at this one, too. It is $5 cheaper than the K5 program I am considering.

Well now I am really confused. I just gave him the K5 Learning reading assessment and he placed in the low 5th grade! Maybe it isn't reading help he needs after all. Maybe something else is the problem. Ugh. On the plus side, he loved K5. On the negative side, it is $25 a month. Then again, maybe that's a small price to pay for his cooperation in his own education.