Menu

My new house

Is a mess. We bought a fixer and wow is it a lot of work. So now that we have been living here for a couple of weeks the dust has settled enough for me to realize a few things.

No storage. No coat closet (an area under the stairs can have a rod added but it is small), no linen closet, no towel closets in the bathrooms. The two actual bedrooms have small walk in closets but the upstairs where 2 boys will sleep has no closet.

I do however have square footage. Roughly 2000. Dh has knocked down a few walls. The kitchen and eating area are in the middle of two big living areas.

So I need some creative ideas. I'm thinking of some big decorative trunks for sheets and blankets. I have an armoire for the boys upstairs....where do I put my towels?

:) must be an older home. We had the same discovery when we moved in here. Do you have a basement or laundry room? For linens, I bought those wire cube shelving things that can be configured however you want. They cover a wall in my laundry room and hold all linens. Our bathroom is too small to add a cabinet to, so this works well. It makes for trips up and down the stairs when you want things, but you can also just fold and put away straight out of the dryer.

Browse this site: http://www.houzz.com

There are pictures for every possible idea relating to function & design of spaces in your home. It is highly addictive so be warned, you will spend lots of time poking around :001_smile:

Just type in what you are looking for in their search box and away you go!

A bookcase, as suggested, would work well for towels. A basket, as suggested, too, is another good idea. A large basket would hold several rolled up towels, and look lovely as well. I've seen pictures on Pinterest where people have used decorative wine racks on walls to store rolled towels. I've also seen small baskets mounted on the wall to hold towels, tissue, and other items. It all looks great.

IMG_0104.jpg

a93246_gt04_privatespaces_xl.jpg

mla101559_0905_sink_xl.jpg

mla102867_0407_vertically_xl.jpg

gt04janmsl_towelbars_xl.jpg

Edited by Myeightkiddies

Wow you guys are fast and have great ideas!

This house was built in 1980....I am surprised it doesn't have more storage. It has a large garden tub in the hall bathroom (the one we are all currently using while the other one is repaired) and there is room on the edge of the tub outside the shower curtain to stack towels. That works pretty good.

I do have a laundry room and dh bought me the big stainless steel shelving unit from Sams. It is my pantry and catch all.

The property has a big shop so I can store off season clothes and linens out there...dh is going to build me a big cedar closet for that.

I am overwhelmed though. Wow.

Is a mess. We bought a fixer and wow is it a lot of work. So now that we have been living here for a couple of weeks the dust has settled enough for me to realize a few things.

No storage. No coat closet (an area under the stairs can have a rod added but it is small), no linen closet, no towel closets in the bathrooms. The two actual bedrooms have small walk in closets but the upstairs where 2 boys will sleep has no closet.

I do however have square footage. Roughly 2000. Dh has knocked down a few walls. The kitchen and eating area are in the middle of two big living areas.

So I need some creative ideas. I'm thinking of some big decorative trunks for sheets and blankets. I have an armoire for the boys upstairs....where do I put my towels?

I have a plastic cupboard for my linens down in the basement next to the washer.

IKEA has a bunch of free-standing closets that might be nice for the upstairs.

My fixer-upper has 2 full baths, but the septic system is frail enough that we would only ever run one shower at a time, so .. . . the 2nd bathtub is now my linen closet! :lol:

Since I didn't have one. I also keep my vacuum cleaner in the tub (behind a lovely shower curtain that is always closed).

This is so funny...just last week I told dh, 'I now fully understand those people who turn showers into closets because right now I need more closets more than I need a second shower!"

Browse this site: http://www.houzz.com

There are pictures for every possible idea relating to function & design of spaces in your home. It is highly addictive so be warned, you will spend lots of time poking around :001_smile:

Just type in what you are looking for in their search box and away you go!

LOVE that site! Thank you for the link! Wow. Awesome.

I keep bed linens in an antique dresser in the upstairs hallway. Hats, mittens, etc are kept in another one in the foyer (by the under-the-stairs coat closet).

Oh I love this idea. I have just the little corner near the stairs and the hall bathroom where something like this could go. Thank you.