Menu

not TWTM/homeschooling familiar librarian

Just something a little cute/funny from my visit to the library today that I think Hive people would appreciate.

I was checking out a few books on ancient Mesopotamia, and the librarian comments to me, "That's really advanced and ambitious for them." (kids are 4 and 6)

I ask, "How so?" and she replies, "Well, ancient civilizations is usually a grade 7 topic."

:)

My librarian is very friendly and tries to be helpful but I think she is an ex-teacher. She is always suggesting things along the lines of what is done in public school, that I have no interest in doing, last week when I was there she was showing me these great books- which looked like busy work for me and then suggesting some books for ds which were just, um, not what I want ds reading. She didn't seem to understand why those weren't my first choice and I'd like to steer him to good books while I have more influence :)

Just something a little cute/funny from my visit to the library today that I think Hive people would appreciate.

I was checking out a few books on ancient Mesopotamia, and the librarian comments to me, "That's really advanced and ambitious for them." (kids are 4 and 6)

I ask, "How so?" and she replies, "Well, ancient civilizations is usually a grade 7 topic."

Has the librarian never wondered why there are books published on the subject at ALL reading levels? :confused:

I would have said "Shh! Don't tell him!" Just kidding. I've never shushed a librarian... though now I want to..,

I love our library! (Well, actually, I regularly go to three libraries, and I love them all.)

I just emailed our big library recently and asked them to buy the Life of Fred books, and they emailed me back the next day and said they would look for a vendor. :thumbup:

My librarian is very friendly and tries to be helpful but I think she is an ex-teacher. She is always suggesting things along the lines of what is done in public school, that I have no interest in doing, last week when I was there she was showing me these great books- which looked like busy work for me and then suggesting some books for ds which were just, um, not what I want ds reading. She didn't seem to understand why those weren't my first choice and I'd like to steer him to good books while I have more influence :)

Yeah - that's what we have here. Really nice woman. We've known her for YEARS. Just doesn't get the deviation from the local public school model.

Has the librarian never wondered why there are books published on the subject at ALL reading levels? :confused:

I thought that was pretty funny, seeing as a number of the books were not older kid books. :)

I would have said "Shh! Don't tell him!" Just kidding. I've never shushed a librarian... though now I want to..,

I love our library! (Well, actually, I regularly go to three libraries, and I love them all.)

I just emailed our big library recently and asked them to buy the Life of Fred books, and they emailed me back the next day and said they would look for a vendor. :thumbup:

THAT is AWESOME.

Well, I suppose if you're following the 4 year cycle it's also a 5th grade and 9th grade subject. ;)

I did briefly say that in the cirriculum I'm following it is a grade 1 subject (although I really don't feel like that is the reason behind a child being able to study it when younger ;)).