Menu

Anyone here use Ambleside Online?

I started using it this last spring. I feel like I'm still getting my feet under me with it. My dd in 6th grade is doing Y4, and it's more challenging for her than I expected. Originally I was going to let her breeze through some of the Y4 books and move on to Y5 this fall, but now that I see how meaty they are, I have started reading some of the selections aloud.

I've realized that she can't read non-fiction independently with the same level of understanding that she reads fiction. I read her books to her at night time because I just don't have time to get all the kids' work done with them during the mornings and it calms down my little night-owl to listen to complex books just before bedtime.

I am intrigued by Ambleside, but have never worked up the courage. My son would have loved it, but you 12yo dd is not a big reader. She is struggling with Wind in the Willows right now. Let me tell you that misreading, "copses" as "corpses" really changes the setting of Wind in the Willows.

I am intrigued by Ambleside, but have never worked up the courage. My son would have loved it, but you 12yo dd is not a big reader. She is struggling with Wind in the Willows right now. Let me tell you that misreading, "copses" as "corpses" really changes the setting of Wind in the Willows.

:lol: Oh, I can just imagine it!

I've used AO since my oldest was in 2nd grade. She is now in 11th.

Yr 7 is a wonderful year, very rich.

Do you have any specific questions?

I'd love to know how you schedule narrations written and oral.

I've pretty much used SL or MFW for several years now. I am a bit intimidated by setting our own schedule. Any tips there?

I started reading Shakespeare and Plutarch to the boys last Friday. That's our day to schedule those things this year. :001_smile:

That's all I can think of at the moment. :D Thanks1

OP, there is a new AO forum in case you want to poke around there a bit. You have to have your registration approved by a moderator before you can view most of it, but I've learned a lot about AO since I joined it.

:hurray: Thanks. I think. :auto: Now I have to rethink everything. :smash: ACK!!! :willy_nilly: (At least I got to use the cool emoticons.) :leaving:

I've pretty much used SL or MFW for several years now. I am a bit intimidated by setting our own schedule. Any tips there?

Copy the Sonlight blank schedule sheet in the back 36 times and then write in your AO schedule. That is what I do every year now that I have moved away from Sonlight.

:hurray: Thanks. I think. :auto: Now I have to rethink everything. :smash: ACK!!! :willy_nilly: (At least I got to use the cool emoticons.) :leaving:

:lol:

(Just be careful over there. ;) I asked a question about a controversial book and managed to get the thread locked. Oops. :leaving: )

I'd love to know how you schedule narrations written and oral.

Well, I probably do things a little differently from most of the ladies on the AO forum. I believe the recommendation over at AO is daily written narrations. I do not require daily written narrations. We orally discuss most of our books. However, both my 14yo and 16yo have weekly written assignments.

Right now, we are studying Bach for composer study so last week I had them write a short bio of his life and accomplishments. They will spend the next few weeks listening to his works. This week, I am letting them choose which book they want to provide a written narration on. Next week, it will be something different. I try to alternate between the different subjects so they are not always narrating/writing about the same book.

We also use a separate writing curriculum. I tend to follow WTM recs when it comes to writing. I love AO and I believe in the value of narration, but I also want my kids to be familar with the different types of essays before they go to college. I believe this is still very much in line with Charlotte Mason's philosophy. If you look at what she was doing with her older students, you will see that the narration assignments became much more specific. For example, in the upcoming weeks I might decide to have them write a descriptive essay on a particular selection of Bach's music.

I don't really have a schedule with the assignments planned ahead of time. I just have a general idea of the type of projects/assignments I want completed this year. Because I am reading and discussing the books with my kids, it is fairly easy to come up with more specific assignments as we go along.

HTH :)

:lol:

(Just be careful over there. ;) I asked a question about a controversial book and managed to get the thread locked. Oops. :leaving: )

:lol: Bonnie, that is too funny. Yes, it has become quite obvious to me that the atmosphere over there is much more conservative than it is here.