Menu

How do I deal with this?

I have one kid in 7th, 2 in 5th, 1 in 4th, and 1 in 1st.

So that's one doing Algebra, two doing long division, one doing long multiplication, and one learning add and subtract.

I have always done all maths at at same time, but now this is frying me every day. And it's not the MATH that fries me, it's when they all simultaneously hit a wall.....and I want to go nurse a bottle of whiskey.

Stretching this out over the day is VERY hard, because the other classes need my involvement, too, so to have them all doing grammar while I'm at the whiteboard doing math with the one... it falls apart.

Anyone deal with this before and how did you handle it? Because right now, I. Am. Done. Fried. Crispy.

I need to suck this up, right? Either that, or I've found the portal to hell.

I'll be watching this - I'm in a similar situation, 7th, 6th, 4th and 1st. I'm about to pull my eyeballs out and we're not even on hard stuff at the moment. I can't decide if we should start with math and ruin the day from the beginning or put it off til the end of the day and risk mayhem in time for dh to come home and rescue all of us.

I really don't have any advice. DD2 is in the shower right now because she's sobbing about a math test. DD1 is doing the same exercise...again. I think this is the third time at it. I sent the other two to the park with a friend so I don't destroy them. It's only Tuesday.

:grouphug:

First thing you do is take a deep breath! :grouphug:

Then, you consider this: It is the beginning of the year. You're just getting started and there are new skills to be learned. EVERYONE is learning something new. That means they all need you. BUT, it won't be long before new skills will give way to reinforcement and review at each level. It won't be long before they won't all need you at the same time.

If it doesn't work that way in your curriculum, try finding drill sheets to give one level while you work with another. For the older kids, there are many books of 'problem of the day' exercises designed to be worked independently. They can work on these while you instruct the younger one. Then the younger one works independently to complete problems while you instruct the older ones.

Something that works well for some is 'team teaching'. Your 7th grader may be very capable of guiding your littlest while you work with the 5th graders giving you a 10-15 minute block of time for you to introduce a concept. It helps solidify concepts to teach it to another so your 7th grader is not just doing busy work.

Really, it won't be long before you will have a rhythm. :grouphug:

Edited by Tammi K

Right there with you as far as grade levels go! Here's what I do for math (so far my sanity is intact, lol):

8:00 Meet with 1st grader; older kids do seatwork (non-math)

10:00 Meet with 4th grader (grade morning work, math lesson); 5th grader reads History or does Literature

10:30 Meet with 5th grader (grade morning work, math lesson); 4th grader reads History or does Literature

12:15 Meet with 7th grader; 5th/4th graders do Science

That's just a sketch of what we do so maybe it's not very helpful. Math is the one subject that requires one-on-one instruction from me so I make sure each child has at least 30 minutes of uninterrupted time. I used to do math all together...that was a disaster! Scheduling math while the other have on-their-own work saves the day.

I think you need to schedule differently until they are more independent. Others work on independent work while you help the one that needs it. So, you help the 1st grader while the olders do something else, then the 4th grader, then the 5th, then 7th. Anyone who can read is able to do SOMETHING independently.

Right there with you as far as grade levels go! Here's what I do for math (so far my sanity is intact, lol):

10:00 Meet with 4th grader (grade morning work, math lesson); 5th grader reads History or does Literature

10:30 Meet with 5th grader (grade morning work, math lesson); 4th grader reads History or does Literature

That's just a sketch of what we do so maybe it's not very helpful. Math is the one subject that requires one-on-one instruction from me so I make sure each child has at least 30 minutes of uninterrupted time. I used to do math all together...that was a disaster! Scheduling math while the other have on-their-own work saves the day.

This is what I do, too. I have a meeting time with each child and teach the lesson there. Only my second grader does the entire lesson with me. Then I assign the rest of the work for independent time. If they have problems they ask me for help at a time I am not working with someone else. I also use meeting time to assign other independent work, teach any LA that is required and do phonics/spelling work. The others work on things that don't need me, are assigned to play with the 3 year old, play in their room, etc. There is NO way I could have them all working on math at the same time. Eek!

I know the pain, but don't have any solutions.

Hopefully we can learn together, then!

Hire a tutor maybe? I don't have any other ideas. This is why I would stink as a teacher!

I was so thinking the same thing! Me in a one room schoolhouse with 8 grades? I'd be at the bar every night.

I'll be watching this - I'm in a similar situation, 7th, 6th, 4th and 1st. I'm about to pull my eyeballs out and we're not even on hard stuff at the moment. I can't decide if we should start with math and ruin the day from the beginning or put it off til the end of the day and risk mayhem in time for dh to come home and rescue all of us.

I really don't have any advice. DD2 is in the shower right now because she's sobbing about a math test. DD1 is doing the same exercise...again. I think this is the third time at it. I sent the other two to the park with a friend so I don't destroy them. It's only Tuesday.

:grouphug:

:grouphug: (Bill Cosby ringing in my ears, "I brought you into the world, and I can take you out!"

First thing you do is take a deep breath! :grouphug:

Then, you consider this: It is the beginning of the year. You're just getting started and there are new skills to be learned. EVERYONE is learning something new. That means they all need you. BUT, it won't be long before new skills will give way to reinforcement and review at each level. It won't be long before they won't all need you at the same time.

If it doesn't work that way in your curriculum, try finding drill sheets to give one level while you work with another. For the older kids, there are many books of 'problem of the day' exercises designed to be worked independently. They can work on these while you instruct the younger one. Then the younger one works independently to complete problems while you instruct the older ones.

Something that works well for some is 'team teaching'. Your 7th grader may be very capable of guiding your littlest while you work with the 5th graders giving you a 10-15 minute block of time for you to introduce a concept. It helps solidify concepts to teach it to another so your 7th grader is not just doing busy work.

Really, it won't be long before you will have a rhythm. :grouphug:

Thank you!!! I can try this. I'll have to sit down again and reconfigure...

Don't know, I am also clinging to the knob of the doorway to hell for exactly the same reasons, but I'll be on FB later and we can drink and commiserate.

:grouphug::grouphug:

No, it is helpful. It really is. When you are juggling so many grades, the scheduling is so insanely hard, because one kid may not need you so much for ___, but needs you for ____ and then you have each kid with their needs and your head is underwater trying to figure out time for them all.

I think you need to schedule differently until they are more independent. Others work on independent work while you help the one that needs it. So, you help the 1st grader while the olders do something else, then the 4th grader, then the 5th, then 7th. Anyone who can read is able to do SOMETHING independently.

I think tying it in with lit will be good, because we DO use a 1 hour reading block for everyone. But if I stagger that, or give them seat-work (this is something I've never done--but I may have to...).

Is there any way to stagger the week's main teaching lesson/day? So that on any given day you're dedicating a significant time to TEACHING a concept (Monday for Algebra, Tuesday for long division, etc.) while the other students are working less on NEW material and more on APPLYING what you've taught them on "their" day? My math program is a mastery program, so this would be worth a shot here ... but I'm not sure what program you use, or if the same approach is even applicable. Or if you've maybe even tried LOL.

I bow to you. Because I'd be finding a way to nurse that whiskey and turn IT into our math lesson. And them some: Kid whines? Take a shot. Kid spends more than five minutes staring at the page willing the problem to do itself? Take three shots.

On the very worst of days, I'd probably set a timer for each class and call it good - wherever we finished, we'd be done for the day at the chime. I'd rather not burn any of us out by falling a bit off schedule, and focus on working through the meltdowns (there's AND mine LOL). Schedule recess, burn off some energy and hit it again the next day.

Is there any way to stagger the week's main teaching lesson/day? So that on any given day you're dedicating a significant time to TEACHING a concept (Monday for Algebra, Tuesday for long division, etc.) while the other students are working less on NEW material and more on APPLYING what you've taught them on "their" day? My math program is a mastery program, so this would be worth a shot here ... but I'm not sure what program you use, or if the same approach is even applicable. Or if you've maybe even tried LOL.

I bow to you. Because I'd be finding a way to nurse that whiskey and turn IT into our math lesson. And them some: Kid whines? Take a shot. Kid spends more than five minutes staring at the page willing the problem to do itself? Take three shots.

On the very worst of days, I'd probably set a timer for each class and call it good - wherever we finished, we'd be done for the day at the chime. I'd rather not burn any of us out by falling a bit off schedule, and focus on working through the meltdowns (there's AND mine LOL). Schedule recess, burn off some energy and hit it again the next day.

See, that concept worked awesome for us before--and i hope it does again soon! But I like your timer idea, added that to staggering, I think I may have something here. Thank you!

I finally realized that it wasn't humanly possible for me to teach everyone everything. A few years ago I bit the bullet and bought Teaching Textbooks. I'm not suggesting that you change your math curriculum if you like it. My advice would be to find certain subjects that you would rather not teach and find something acceptable online, CD roms, live class, or tutor to help.

Homeschooling four is very challenging IMHO. I need all the help I can get. My three younger kids are doing TT. My youngest dd is doing an online science class through Landry Academy and my oldest dd is taking an AP English class through Patrick Henry.

HTH,

Elise in NC

I finally realized that it wasn't humanly possible for me to teach everyone everything. A few years ago I bit the bullet and bought Teaching Textbooks. I'm not suggesting that you change your math curriculum if you like it. My advice would be to find certain subjects that you would rather not teach and find something acceptable online, CD roms, live class, or tutor to help.

Homeschooling four is very challenging IMHO. I need all the help I can get. My three younger kids are doing TT. My youngest dd is doing an online science class through Landry Academy and my oldest dd is taking an AP English class through Patrick Henry.

HTH,

Elise in NC

I Do have that...(TT)

my kids use the computer to fill in time while sibilings are being taught. I use fun4thebrain.com and spellingcity.com so that they are still engaged with school stuff while I am teaching. Another thing that I do is have a time limit. Suddenly, when my kids know that mom will only be able to work with them for 30 minutes, they are more engaged and working much harder.

For long division, I gave them a cheat sheet that said divide, multiply, subtract, bring down. We did that over and over. We watched Khan academy;s tutorials on it. finally it sunk in.

I basically do it in order of age. Our math period takes about 60 minutes. I start with DD9 for 15 minutes to explain it and work 1-2 sample problems for each concept, then she works on her own. Then DS7 comes, learns for 15 minutes, and goes off, then DD6, then I walk around to each and make sure they're still on task. Finally, I do whatever time is left with DS5. So far, so good.

This is what I do, too. I have a meeting time with each child and teach the lesson there. Only my second grader does the entire lesson with me. Then I assign the rest of the work for independent time. If they have problems they ask me for help at a time I am not working with someone else. I also use meeting time to assign other independent work, teach any LA that is required and do phonics/spelling work. The others work on things that don't need me, are assigned to play with the 3 year old, play in their room, etc. There is NO way I could have them all working on math at the same time. Eek!

:iagree: this is what I'm doing. Plus I'm alternating rigorous math weeks with relaxed math practice weeks. That way I can do long tedious prealgebra with dd and know my 2nd grader is alright plugging away inSingapore workbooks or teaching her little sister how to add & subtract (she's "teaching").

I only have three who are actually doing math class right now, and two are using the same workbook. But, the two using the same book don't work well together. So...

I have the two doing 3rd grade math do handwriting worksheets, or online drills (math, typing, etc.) while I work on Pre-Alg with the oldest. Then, I send the oldest to his desk to do his worksheets or play online while he waits (he's ADHD) and I work with DD one on one. Then, I pull the other DS over, send DD back to her desk for either drills or a break and I introduce the concepts to him. Then, I usually pass the workbook and child off to oldest Ds who helps him finish the lesson.

While the two boys are working on finishing the math lesson I get the group lesson set up and ready to go. I have a "teacher" computer and a dry erase board/pen in both the classroom and the kitchen so sometimes we end up doing a lesson in the kitchen while the kids eat. Sometimes I am making lunch while the oldest helps one or both finish their worksheets. Sometimes I let DD teach younger DS after I've done the lesson with her. (This depends on how well she "got" the lesson and how willing DS is to listen to her.)

For the circumstances you mentioned, I'd probably have the child who is doing division work with the ones who are learning addition and subtraction and the one who is learning algebra work with either the multiplication or division student. I find that for my oldest, the review is actually beneficial so it's not "wasted" time.

For math fact review for the middle two students I made up a set of cards with questions and answers and put them in a notebook. I have them read these aloud to the two year old. (The cards have items to count plus the math fact.) Little guy is entertained, and middle children are reviewing math.

Edited by MomatHWTK

What is working for the kids but not for me:

I'm on a treadmill-style loop.

I begin with all together, for Latin recitations, Bible chapter, catechism, etc. Then...deep breath...

I assign independent work to the older three while I...

Start with the 7yo, get him started, leave him to work on it,

Then the 12yo, get him started, leave him to work on it,

Then the 14yo, get him started, leave him to work on it,

...then back with the 7yo. I make about three sweeps before lunch and two sweeps after,

Then my tutored 16yo online in the afternoon,

Then finally my 10th grader because he is the one incapable of staying within his Mama Minutes. So he's allowed to sprawl his lessons through the evening on nights when he doesn't have other activities and have more attention. The others prefer to buckle down and work on schedule because they like their evenings school-free.

Each of them is having some homework on the weekends. I'm hoping to tighten things up soon because I do not like having to think about school on the wknd.

It works for the kids. For my exercise, my housework, my entertainment, my bedtime, and even my time with DH, it is NOT working.