Menu

limited budget (challenge for the Hive)

Here are the basics for this challenge:

1) ordering from Rainbow Resource ONLY

2) cheap as possible

3) workbooks preferred for three R's

4) history and science needed for 13yo only

5) grades needed: pre-K/K, 4th, and 7th

So what say the Hive? What would you do?

Edit: I applied for the hardship donation from them. Printing anything is *not* happening as we don't have a printer. I can't afford to order from anywhere else.

Edited by hsingscrapper
wasn't clear the first time.

For preK/K I would go with Rod and Staff ABC workbooks. They are great, and the full set is only around $20. If your child is ready for phonics, then I would choose a program for that and add it in. There are low cost options.

For 4th: I still use Rod and Staff for the math, spelling, and english, and handwriting if you still need it/want it. You could just do copywork for handwriting off of the internet or make your own to spend less. They are mostly text at that age though, no workbooks except for spelling and handwriting. But math and english would be totally reusable texts for your younger to use later.

With the older: R&S english and spelling and math if he isn't ready for Algebra are still my choices.

I am pretty sure you can get R&S through RR.

History/science: I don't know what your scope and sequence is. We are doing WTM history/science. You don't need a program for the history, only the library and a history encyclopedia. For science that would be a chemistry or physics year for us. Right now I am into the John Hudson Tiner books, and I think he has one for both of those years available. I bought my current ones (medicine and biology) from RR, so I assume they have the rest.

There's always a time/money trade-off it seems....

PK/K:

*HWT Letters & Numbers for Me

*Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading if you need something for phonics

*If you needed to order a math curriculum, I would use Singapore Math (primary math series)....but really at this age if budget is that tight, I would just work on counting, skip counting, and writing numbers on my own.

Read widely from lots of great books from your library.

R&S is not available through Rainbow Resource (or it's so well hidden that I can never find it).

4th grade:

*HWT Cursive Success if you need a handwriting program workbook

*Singapore Math primary series 4a/4b or wherever the child places if you want the convenience of a printed off workbook, some of the free online stuff if you don't need that

*If you are willing to scramble and gather materials, the WWE textbook can be used for grades 1-4 for $19.25. It's a good bang for your buck. The workbooks are very convenient....but they add to your budget.

*Exercises in English is a good grammar program for only $19 for the student workbook. With another child coming up the line, though, I'd be inclined to buy First Language Lessons....I like the program better and it's thorough.

I haven't had a 7th grader yet, so I don't feel I'm in a position to really give you great advice on that one....

Why not order from a used book source such as Abe Books, Alibris, or Amazon?

2) cheap as possible

You could do what you propose for very little $$$

I would suggest MEP, which is free for math, Warriner's First Course (cheap!) for grammar, and any of the vintage texts on archive.org for writing. You could also get an older edition of Dolciani's School Mathematics for the 7th grader. Buy some cheap notebook paper or spiral notebooks, and call it good. Make sure to have a large dry erase board, which you can get at Lowes or Home Depot as shower board (they will cut it in two pieces for you.)

Why not cover history and science as 8Fill does? This would entail using the library, or getting the books at a reseller or used book store. Use good, living books for history and the same for science. Much better than a textbook or program.

Let the preK/K'er practice writing the alphabet, learning phonograms and how to read, work with C-rods (which you could use for all the kids) and read the books on the Ambleside Online Year 0 list to him/her

My reply in blue above

Edited by Poke Salad Annie

I would do history and science for the 13 y/o for free, using library books and online resources.

I would not get any "curriculum" for preK at all. I would use read alouds and nature study and toys, crayons, and free play.

I would not get any curriculum for K either. Teaching the abc's is something you can do without workbooks.

Edited by regentrude

Everyone follows along with the 7th's science topics, by getting library books on their level on the same topic.

Everyone follows along with the 7th's history topics, ditto.

Simplifies teaching, field trips, etc.

Nothing for preK/K - library books will do. Improvise math manipulatives and reading/phonics materials. Read aloud, discuss basic reading stuff.

For 4th, Spelling Workout for spelling, language, and a weekly writing prompt - cheap, easy, covers a lot. Vintage/thrifted/borrowed math text.

Possibly Easy Grammar. Significant library reading.

For 7th, the bulk of the $. Decent math program, comprehensive science program, interesting history program. Writing across the curriculum. Vocab workbook. Grammar.

If $$ is very tight, then try to glean from other local homeschoolers who have curriculum they no longer need. Usually this is easily done here at the annual Used Curriculum Sale, but throughout the year, friends post things to buy/sell on our email loop.

The WTM sale board is also a resource for used items.

The Library is a great resource, as is the internet! Best wishes!

I would not get any "curriculum" for preK at all. I would use read alouds and nature study and toys, crayons, and free play.

I would not get any curriculum for K either. Teaching the abc's is something you can do without workbooks.

And if you feel you need specific ideas, the Beechick books on the three Rs have lots of ideas for workbookfree, enriching activities in reading and math that you could use in pre-k and beyond, so you wouldn't feel you have abandoned them or if you genuinely don't know where to start.

$7.45 for all three books at RR

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/000846/

And if you feel you need specific ideas, the Beechick books on the three Rs have lots of ideas for workbookfree, enriching activities in reading and math that you could use in pre-k and beyond, so you wouldn't feel you have abandoned them or if you genuinely don't know where to start.

Also her book on "You can Teach your child successfully" for grades 1-4 or so. There's so much you can do without a formal curriculum. But it takes time. :001_smile:

I would do history and science for the 13 y/o for free, using library books and online resources.

Also her book on "You can Teach your child successfully" for grades 1-4 or so. There's so much you can do without a formal curriculum. But it takes time. :001_smile:

:iagree: all excellent ideas! No need for curriculum at pre-K and K ages....let them listen in on older's subjects while coloring or playing with manipulatives.

There are so many things available for free online; start with http://www.freelyeducate.com. Use free worksheet sites to print out letter and number copy sheets for the littles. Print coloring pages, simple puzzles.

2) cheap as possible

What History and Science are you looking for? 7th Grade? I have some stuff my kid no longer needs.

2) cheap as possible

4th Math: either the Math Mammoth 4th grade set, or if you have access to printing the 4-6 CD.

4th/7th Language Arts: Wordly Wise 3000, Writing with Ease/Skill, and Easy Grammar, or maybe this comprehensive workbook for 4th

I haven't have time to investigate them in more depth, but one possiblity for your 7th grader is some of the CK-12 free ebook textbooks at amazon, for example, here's Earth Science Honors For Middle School.

Pre-K/K: Rod and Staff ABC series

Edit: I applied for the hardship donation from them. Printing anything is *not* happening as we don't have a printer. I can't afford to order from anywhere else.

Ah, the printing is the issue, because I see from your blog that you already know about several of the free online resources (Ambleside, MEP, ...) and even sell your own curriculum.

I'd scour library sales and other used stores. I find a lot of excellent children's literature there for 50c or less, and I do see textbooks there.

What have you used previously for your 7th and 4th for math and English? If they did well with those it might be good to choose something of a similar style. What kind of science and history are you looking for? If you don't mind giving more specifics (as in what you used before and what you'd like to use this year) I think it would be easier to make suggestions.