Menu

What are you using for math in grades K-4?

Quiver0f10

He just finished 3rd grade, and she finished 1st grade. I have used it with both of them from the beginning. I have been VERY happy with the results. Both have consistently tested several grade levels above every time they test. (I test them each year with the CAT-5 test). It is very teacher intensive. The WTM book said that there were "too many" problems and to pick and choose, but I think it depends on your child. My son was a quick student when it came to math, and thus we didn't need to do all the problems. My daughter, on the other hand, has struggled with math and we do all of the problems. (For example, at the beginning of the year, we had to stop for a MONTH so she could figure out how to read numbers...she couldn't tell the difference between 25 and 52......12 and 21...etc.) On the latest test, she breezed through the math. It was the easiest part for her. She only missed one problem on all of the math sections. I am convinced it is because of the Abeka math.

Good luck..There are a lot of really good programs out there!

Hot Lava Mama

Last year (1st and 2nd) I used some thick Evan Moor worksheet books along with lots of manipulatives, Singapore's Challenmging Word Problems and my state's Standards of Learning.

This year (2nd and 3rd) we are using Saxon. I used Saxon for my oldest (Level 6/5 [5th] through Algebra 2) and it was perfect.

We use Miquon and extra manipulatives. Geoboards, rulers, money, base ten blocks, dominoes, measuring cups and spoons, TOPS lentil kit, games, wrap-ups, holey cards, ect.

The whole idea of a math lab really works for us. But so far Math has been a subject that both of my boys (and myself) do great in, so a loose approach has been fine.

My oldest is almost 9, when he finishes the math things we have, I am thinking about LOF.

Quiver, since you're using Homesat (are you?), I'll mention that I really like the BJU math. I think RightStart is worth the effort for levels A and B (K5 and 1st), but after that I'd put them in the BJU and be done with it. Solid, with a balance of spiral review, conceptual instruction, a variety of modalities, color workbooks, can't beat it! :)

We've used Horizons (K & 1), but I felt ds needed a more mastery-type program for now, so we're using Rod and Staff currently (1st and 2nd). I like the *look* of Horizons more, the color, you know? But R&S seems to be getting the job done pretty well right now. And I'd rather have the kids use the same program unless it just really doesn't work for dd, though right now she's fine. I'd like to add Singapore as a supplement starting in 3rd grade I think.

Jami

For K we're using Modern Curriculum Press Mathematics Level K, then A(as we're already a third done with K). I'm also buying the Miquon Orange Level to try out as a supplement.

I forgot to add previously that we're also going to read John Hudson Tiner's Exploring the World of Mathematics, checking out a few math books by Greg Tang from the library and playing store with a cash register.

For K-1st we have been using Math U See, but my son DREADS math, so I'm going to order Shiller Math for this next year (2nd grade) and hope that makes it a little more fun for him. I will probably continue to slowly work our way through MUS in addition to the Shiller. Esp. since I already have all the stuff for MUS :)

Saxon, we used it for K and 2nd then tried Horizons for K and 3rd (the younger wasn't ready for horizons 1st) we're going back to Saxon. About halfway through last year the kids begged to go back. They just "get" Saxon, I'm happy as I "get" Saxon too and it presents things in a way that make sense to me so it's easy for me to teach it.

You probably don't want to hear all that I'm using!:D

We use Singapore Math as our base...ds thinks this way, so it's great. Saxon to cover the "extras", T4L (Time4Learning) for fun, and just added Developmental Math. I'm probably going to nix Saxon for this year...he catches on quickly, so we're not really using it. Still leaves 3 curricula in use.

Oh, he's first grade, working on a 2/3 grade level for math.

I've ever seen - it is the most practical, common-sense approach!

I esp. love the way it begins with learning about "decimal street" & who lives there - the "ones" in the green house, the "tens" in the blue house, and big red house is where the "hundreds" live! Only 9 can live in the house - 9 chairs, 9 beds, 9 etc. They begin by learning that the number on the page represents "something" & they place a unit (one) block on the page under the number to reinforce the concept. "Place" and "value" are taught from the beginning also, and from there - he builds and builds so that your child always know "why" this is that is done a certain way.

Oh! If only I had been taught this way! I don't recall ever using manipulatives in school - just do it like this to get this answer - and so I did, never completely knowing "why" so when I got stuck or confused, I rarely figured my way out, esp. word problems.

Also, as your child learns new skills, they are always practiced so that you don't have to review or relearn - it stays fresh.

We have used MUS from the beginning and we will not change! It is wonderful!:D

I would love to tell you more of why I love this curriculum - anyone email if you're really interested - (no, I do not sell MUS)