Menu

Scared to start

I know this is ridiculous, but I'm afraid to start homeschooling. DD is 5 and it's "just" Kindergarten, but I'm scared. What if I do this wrong? What if she doesn't learn to read? What if she never learns math? Writing? DH is not a supporter of homeschooling but doesn't have a choice as we are in Turkey and she's going to private school here. I'm her English teacher. She's ready to learn to read and I'm putting her off because I'm afraid I'll ruin her.

Everything is in place, but I'm terrified to actually start.

Hugs? Advice? Anything? :confused:

Maybe you could try starting out with a curriculum that really "holds your hand" as the teacher to lead you through. These are called "scripted" curricula. Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons is scripted like this. You literally read it, word for word, and point to the parts your kid needs to read. You can't screw it up. :-) Ordinary Parents Guide to Teachign Reading is also scripted, I believe. Once you see how easy it is, you will be ready for all the other unscripted programs.

There are scripted math programs as well. Right Start is one of them, but there are many others- someone else might be able to give you some names.

Like you said, you can't mess up kindergarten!!!

You haven't ruined her yet and you've taught her how to go potty, how to dress herself, how to pick up her toys. . . Reading is just one more thing on that continuum. You might need to tweak some things as you go along, but you won't ruin reading for her. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

:iagree:

:grouphug:

It will be fine!

There will be ups and downs, but that is true for any kind of parenting.

Homeschooling scared me at first too (and I continue to have my moments of panic!) but overall it has been great for our family (my boys are teenagers now).

Try to erase the worries and replace it with enjoying your time together.

I was quite nervous about starting K with my oldest too. I have a degree to teach 6-12 math, but I had no experience teaching a child to read! I actually started school a few weeks early just in case it was a dismal failure, I would still have time to enroll her to start ps on time.

Once I got started, however, I realized that it wasn't as hard as I thought and I could handle it! The hardest part, truly, was getting started.

Best of luck to you!

I've got OPGTR for reading, MEP for math. I just need to be told that it's going to be ok. :)

It's going to be okay!!!:001_smile: I homeschooled 22 yo dd k-1 and 6-12. She just graduated college magna cum laude. He have homeschooled almost 18 yo dd 1-12th (this year). She did very well on her ACT and is taking college classes dual enrolled with straight As. It was scarey when we started. I get it. But the BIGGEST thing I wish I had understood back then was to RELAX!!!!!!

I started at the same place you are numbers and letters, phonics and adding and subtracting. That is all you need. Add some fun stuff it you want-art and educational games. It's kindergarten, you'd have to try real hard to mess it up. Just have fun with the child you love and know better than anybody. It's an exciting journey, and you're NOT committing to homeschool all the way through HS by doing kindergarten. It's just ONE school year.

Blessings, YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!

Mary

You will do fine!

K is a fun grade. The kids love the prestige of "being in big school now". The days are short and the material easy. Looking back, I think the most important thing I did was to make it enjoyable. If we were really struggling with something, we just put it away for a few weeks and brought it out again a month later. In almost all cases, by then, she was ready for it and completed it easily without any tears or drama.

One goofy thing that worked incredibly well for me helped with any memorization work. I took a favorite stuffed animal, one that she already owned, and put it at the far corner of the house. Then I started her at the other end of the house and started quizzing her. For every correct answer, she got to take one hop, or giant step, or whatever. For every wrong answer, she had to take one step back. I hopped that kid for miles around the house that year and she loved it! I should have counted it for PE and math or whatever. On rare occasions, for a particularly tough question I would reward her with a 5 step bonanza. My goodness, you would have thought she won the lottery when that happened. It made learning fun for both of us.

Just be gentle, have fun, and remember that parenting and home educating are not competitive sports. There will be other families that are drilling their K level kids in Latin and preCalculus, and others who are struggling with learning their colors. Focus on your own goals and your own child and seek your personal bests. You will later look back and cherish these years.;)

:grouphug:

I felt exactly the same way before I started with my first kindergartener.

Once you start, you'll have a clearer vision of how your days will flow. You'll figure out what works well for you and what doesn't, and you'll start to see the progression of skills and subjects. And you'll be too busy doing school to worry about school. :D

Have FUN. :)

Cat