Menu

27 free **Professional Quality** Classic Audio Books??? What??? REALLY?????

Hunter

It looks like with the launching of Whispersync for Voice, Audible.com is offering matching profession quality audio books, for 27 free classic Amazon Kindle books. I'm not sure if everyone can take advantage of this, or just kindle owners.

So far I have downloaded Peter Pan, Wind in the Willows, Moby Dick and Treasure Island for FREE and everything looks fine. :001_huh:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000827761

Unless I am missing something, this is an incredible opportunity. Am I missing something? 27 name brand audio books for free???? REALLY????

:bigear:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got these yesterday for my Kindle. Make sure to follow each step. I think you have to have Whispersync enabled. Buy the free book, then look for the free audible link on the right. If you don't have an Audible account you can sign in with your Amazon account.

I got 29 here yesterday: http://blog.booksontheknob.org/2012/09/free-classics-from-audible.html

Heart of Darkness is $1.42.

Edited by raceNzanesmom

Thanks! All added to my kindle :D

(For those trying to figure it out: first you "buy" the free books http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=n%3A133140011%2Cn%3A%212334093011%2Cn%3A%212334124011%2Cn%3A5744819011%2Cn%3A5744839011&ie=UTF8&qid=1347378115 , currently there's 26 books; once my Kindle had sync the new books I went on the Audible app (on my kindle) and searched for the titles, the top result was the "free" one to download.)

Are these audio books only free during the 30 day trial? Will I still have access to audio book portion if I cancel the audible subscription?

I'd like to know this too. I don't have, nor do I want to have an audible account. Idon't mind doing a free trial to get the books, but I would need to cancel before I get charged.

I want this, but I don't have a kindle. Is it really only kindle users? I'm trying to understand why it's for kindle - that's an ebook reader, right? Not an audio book player?

I imagine if you have a Kindle app on your computer or another device, you could do it too.

However, as to why it's for Kindle, I imagine it is because Kindle is an Amazon product and Audible is now owned by Amazon.

I imagine if you have a Kindle app on your computer or another device, you could do it too.

However, as to why it's for Kindle, I imagine it is because Kindle is an Amazon product and Audible is now owned by Amazon.

Ah, that makes sense. I am a little technologically challenged in this area and dh won't be home until late tonight. I think I'll have him check into it.

Ah, that makes sense. I am a little technologically challenged in this area and dh won't be home until late tonight. I think I'll have him check into it.

I hope he can help you get them.

I didn't answer your other question though, about the Kindle being an e-book rather than an audio book player. It can play audio books. It was a very pleasant surprise for me when Amazon asked me one day if I wanted to download all my old Audible purchases to the Kindle. I clicked on it and it wirelessly fed all those audio books into the Kindle. Now it plays them just like they would play on any MP3 player.

We were listening to Alice yesterday and I can't get over the feeling that Harry Potter will pop up any minute. I tell you, Alice has Hermione's voice.

Dd tried to listen to Frankenstein at Costco during the weekend on the Kindle. Definitely difficult, but much better in the car. I want to look into Kindle speakers, if they even exist.

We're listening on the iPad, but you do have to download the app, which is really an iPhone app, but works for the iPad.

I think this will work if you have a kindle app and an audible app on ANY device or computer.

I no longer have a paid subscribed account with audible.com, but I DO have an account, just like I have an Amazon account. They seem to be linked and have the same password. I don't pay for either of them.

I did do the free 30 day paid subscription to BOTH Amazon and Audible and took advantage of whatever free things I could and then canceled. Anything I downloaded during the free subscriptions remained mine afterwards.

I got a complete free dramatized audio Bible ($50.00) value during my audible trial. I'm not sure if that is still offered. And I still have it.

I think this is offered in the hope of getting Kindle users hooked, but I don't think they can stop non-kindle device users from taking advantage of the free audiobooks.

I don't have a subscription, just an account which is like an extension of my amazon account.

Not all Kindles play audiobooks. My old 3G w/ keyboard can but the newer keyboardless/non-touch screen ones we bought recently cannot.

You should be able to play the audio books on any device that you can download an audible app onto.

I have a Kindle and an Audible account. However, we really only use our Ipods to listen to audio books. Do you know if these can be downloaded into Itunes, and the put on an Ipod??

Yes. You need to go under My Account to download. I did this awhile ago, so I'm fuzzy with what I did. You download into a folder you designate and then open the files up in iTunes.

Using my free Kindle app for PC, can I burn the audio books to CD? (technologically challenged here, AND Kindle-less) . . . trying to follow the link instructions

Info here.. I may have to do this for the car since we have no portable speakers or any gadget to use with the car's speakers.

Edited by crazyforlatin
Darn iPad spell check

Well, that was awesome! Thanks!

Definitely follow the steps correctly, though. Click to buy the kindle version, and it will give you a new box (where the original click to buy box/button was) with a click to buy the free audible version. I jumped the gun and left this page for one choice, and then couldn't find my way back to buy the free version.

But if you put the info, what audible should "bill" is still $0. I think it still needs this info in order to checkout.

I've had to deal with audible over the phone, and customer service is excellent.

Yes, it's the same as an amazon account. If you already have an amazon account, just sign in with those credentials (they are linked). Yes, your bill will be $0. You don't have to sign up for a monthly plan or anything. It's legit. However, I understand the hesitation in providing the credit card number!

Hhhmmmm....the first volume of the Hunger Games is on sale for only $3.95.

I got these yesterday for my Kindle. Make sure to follow each step. I think you have to have Whispersync enabled. Buy the free book, then look for the free audible link on the right. If you don't have an Audible account you can sign in with your Amazon account.

I got 29 here yesterday: http://blog.booksontheknob.org/2012/09/free-classics-from-audible.html

Heart of Darkness is $1.42.

I have an audible account, but not an audible membership and I was able to get these without signing up for a membership. Some of the other classics asked for a membership, but not these. Thanks!

I might still go ahead and sign up. Does anybody know if it is hard to cancel?

You should be able to play the audio books on any device that you can download an audible app onto.

Yes, my point was merely to say that not all physical Kindles have audio output and really are just ebook readers (in response to a previous comment). Sorry for any confusion. :)

I got these over the weekend when the deal first showed up. I am tickled beyond belief to get hundreds of dollars worth of audible books for FREE! Best thing of all, some of these classics I had previously gotten on my Kindle, and because Audible and Amazon are linked, it knew I had the Kindle book and let me have the audio book for free! Gotta love free.

I have not tried it yet, but I love that I can read some on my Kindle, then later listen to some, and even later switch back to reading, and it never loses my place...sweet! I also downloaded them all onto my computer! My kids and I can't wait...we might start with The Three Musketeers.

The ebook can just be a gateway to the free audiobook. You can sign up for Kindle via PC on Amazon (enables you to read Kindle books on your PC) or have Kindle books sent to an android phone, iphone, ipad, etc. Once you have a Kindle account set up, you can purchase the Kindle book on Amazon. By purchasing the ebook (even if it's $0.00) you are entitled to a free audible version of the books that are included in this offer. After you purchase the ebook, there is a link on the side that takes you to the matching audible audiobook. You need an audible account linked up to your Amazon account [Audible is now an Amazon company]. The audible audiobook should show up as free in your cart when you follow the link if you are logged in.

Once you have "purchased" the free audiobook, there are a few options for how to use it. I just have audible automatically send it to iTunes. Once it's in iTunes, I can burn it to a disc or transfer to an iPod/iPhone or iPad. I use the Bookmark app but Audible has its own app too. You OWN the audiobook and never have to use the ebook version if you don't want to.

How do I get my audiobooks onto my Kindle Fire and how do I get them to play? When I log into my Amazon acct. they are there and i've synced my Kindle, but they still don't show in my carousel. Thanks

Go to your apps and look for the Audible app (it should be pre-loaded). You can find all the audiobooks there.

I had to watch the how-to video on Audible's site to figure it out :)