Menu

Stupidest thing I ever said-

"No, don't worry, we don't need to get a dishwasher right away, I actually like doing dishes..."

We get the new one this Sat, after a month of what seemed to be 24/7 of dishwashing.

I will cry tears of joy.

Though, the kids have learned to wash dishes...;) (they already loaded and unloaded, I'm talking about gloves, dish liquid and a dishrag)

You know, I said the same thing (and did enjoy it for a bit) when we moved into our first house without one. Then I got pregnant with baby #3. We weren't even homeschooling yet. Now, we've been living in a house without 1 for a year and a half. But, I have a 11yo, 8yo, 6yo, and 5yo. I don't do dishes near as much as they do.

But you have more children then I do. I can't imagine.

That will be nice to have.

My stupidest thing was:

The kids and I were taking a nice wintery walk one night. DS started showing older dd how to slide over the ice. I barely got the words, "Be careful. It is slippery. You could fall." Out of my mouth before I slipped and shattered my wrist. I never, ever, ever tell anyone to be careful anymore. :D

That's what I used to say too, because we loved living in old buildings which didn't have one, and then we moved into a 100 year old home that didn't have one. After baby #4, my MIL bought us one. Wow -- I couldn't believe what a difference it made!

Congratulations! ;)

I use to not be able to imagine having a home without a dishwasher. That was when it was just myself and my husband.

Our current house doesn't really have one. (Okay, it has one - but it is so useless we use it as a big bread box) But I don't mind doing dishes. My eldest will also do them sometimes.

I can do dishes when other people are in the kitchen doing things. Mind you the kitchen is big and has the big kitchen table, two computer stations ... so it is the gathering room. It's not like I'm stuffed into a quiet corner all by myself working.

My husband also bought me a handsfree phone. I have a call list and can often call someone to talk to when doing dishes or other chores.

It is funny because a few people on my call list sometimes laugh when I call them.

''Oh, Hi Julie. Let me guess you are doing dishes"

"No aunt, I don't just call you when I'm doing dishes. .... I'm doing laundry today. ;) "

I know just what you mean, only it was 6 months for me. I was weepy when we got our dishwasher a few months ago. Enjoy!

That's going to be me! 6 months? I'd crack.

You know, I said the same thing (and did enjoy it for a bit) when we moved into our first house without one. Then I got pregnant with baby #3. We weren't even homeschooling yet. Now, we've been living in a house without 1 for a year and a half. But, I have a 11yo, 8yo, 6yo, and 5yo. I don't do dishes near as much as they do.

But you have more children then I do. I can't imagine.

A year and a half! :svengo:

Gloves? Wow you guys get all fancy when you wash dishes. At my house the kids just go in up to thier elbows and hope for the best. :tongue_smilie:

Congrats on the dishwasher. I will never live without one. Ever. :lol:

:lol:

:D Enjoy your new dishwasher!

We don't have a d/w, but we're renting. The landlord pays our water and I don't complain about the d/w because he allows us to have a washer/dryer and I do umpteen loads of laundry a week. :)

That seems like a fair trade! Laundry is a total water sucker.

I use to not be able to imagine having a home without a dishwasher. That was when it was just myself and my husband.

Our current house doesn't really have one. (Okay, it has one - but it is so useless we use it as a big bread box) But I don't mind doing dishes. My eldest will also do them sometimes.

I can do dishes when other people are in the kitchen doing things. Mind you the kitchen is big and has the big kitchen table, two computer stations ... so it is the gathering room. It's not like I'm stuffed into a quiet corner all by myself working.

My husband also bought me a handsfree phone. I have a call list and can often call someone to talk to when doing dishes or other chores.

It is funny because a few people on my call list sometimes laugh when I call them.

''Oh, Hi Julie. Let me guess you are doing dishes"

"No aunt, I don't just call you when I'm doing dishes. .... I'm doing laundry today. ;) "

Awww! That's sweet!

The worst isn't the plates and cups, it's the utensils!

"No, don't worry, we don't need to get a dishwasher right away, I actually like doing dishes..."

We get the new one this Sat, after a month of what seemed to be 24/7 of dishwashing.

I will cry tears of joy.

Though, the kids have learned to wash dishes...;) (they already loaded and unloaded, I'm talking about gloves, dish liquid and a dishrag)

I went three years once while homeschooling without one, and it was the longest 3 yrs of my life. I have never been more grateful and thankful for anything in my day to day life, seriously.

I will cry tears of joy.

Yeah...:glare:I have been without one since Christmas THREE YEARS AGO!!!!!!

So....what kind did ya get???????

Congrats on the new d/w!

I had all these wonderful images in my head of what life without a d/w would be when we moved into our current house. Evenings spent in the kitchen over dinner and clean-up, family time, etc.

Yeah. Not so much. More like 4 years of constant arguments with or between the boys over who has to do what.

I told DH I am NEVER going without a d/w again. Although if it was just the 2 of us, it might not be too bad.

Yay for new appliances!

This is SO not the same, but our ice maker went out in our freezer last year. I used to stand in the kitchen and just listen to the sound of it dropping after DH installed a new one. Ya, poor me. I had to fill ice cube trays for 6 months :lol:

I went three years once while homeschooling without one, and it was the longest 3 yrs of my life. I have never been more grateful and thankful for anything in my day to day life, seriously.

I can't even imagine.

The next important appliance in this house is the laundry machine. :D

Yeah...:glare:I have been without one since Christmas THREE YEARS AGO!!!!!!

So....what kind did ya get???????

Ohhh no! YOu have as many as I do! It's like the dishes never leave the sink!

I got a Bosch. Dh made sure it was stainless on the inside (because I will scratch it) and that it has a full filter bottom (because I will clog it).

Once I got a spoon under the hat thingie? And when the repairman came out, he laughed. Still had to pay him 180. :glare: So, filter thingie.

Congrats on the new d/w!

I had all these wonderful images in my head of what life without a d/w would be when we moved into our current house. Evenings spent in the kitchen over dinner and clean-up, family time, etc.

Yeah. Not so much. More like 4 years of constant arguments with or between the boys over who has to do what.

I told DH I am NEVER going without a d/w again. Although if it was just the 2 of us, it might not be too bad.

Yeah, when it's a few of you, even Dh and you, it's Ok. It's when the cattle come in...

you seriously said that?

Did anyone check for a fever?

Were you drunk?

Did you hit your head?

Were you half asleep?

Were you joking?

;)

I don't know WHAT I was thinking!!!

Yay for new appliances!

This is SO not the same, but our ice maker went out in our freezer last year. I used to stand in the kitchen and just listen to the sound of it dropping after DH installed a new one. Ya, poor me. I had to fill ice cube trays for 6 months :lol:

A friend in the keys swears that ice is civilization, and will not live without an icemaker. ;)

I said the very same thing...for 12 years. :tongue_smilie: In my defense, I'd never had a dishwasher, so I didn't know what I was missing. The one in our house had never worked, but eventually I needed to replace all the kitchen appliances. Faced with having to do something with the hole the old dishwasher would leave, I finally decided to just go ahead and put a new dishwasher in.

I could have kicked myself from here to Nova Scotia. What had I been thinking?!

I have a Bosch with the stainless inside, too. It's a beautiful thing. ;)

I will cry tears of joy.

LOL, I did this as well! DH had just lost his job and I thought we just did not have the money to really cover it. Silly me. When he got one for me the following Christmas I almost cried. The dishes NEVER seemed to be done around here until we got the new one. It was a very stressful year. :001_huh:

I will cry tears of joy.

It's been 3 years and 10 months since my dishwasher died. :001_smile: Yes, my older two do dishes though not as much as me. The three yr old would love to do dishes but.....:lol:

Honestly, I hear nothing but complaints from people about dishwashers so I'm not in a hurry.

I will cry tears of joy.

Wow, that sounds like the opening scene to a household horror movie! Glad you have something to look forward to on Saturday. :D

My dishwasher died in Feb or March.

We don't have a new one. Do you want to know why?

Are you ready for this??

Prepare yourselves.....

DH LOVES to do dishes!

I help out, but really...he's the dish

washer in the house!

Now, a new dishwasher would be nice, but we have to pay for the new roof first. So, since DH doesn't mind coming home to mounds of dishes, we're holding off for another year or so.

Congrats on the new dishwasher. I have never had one my whole adult life. My kids rarely do dishes. A family of 5 uses a lot of dishes for every meal. I have debated if paper plates would be better for us, even if terrible for the environment. We don't even have room in the kitchen to put in a dishwasher if we wanted to.

It's been 3 years and 10 months since my dishwasher died. :001_smile: Yes, my older two do dishes though not as much as me. The three yr old would love to do dishes but.....:lol:

Honestly, I hear nothing but complaints from people about dishwashers so I'm not in a hurry.

As long as they help!

Wow, that sounds like the opening scene to a household horror movie! Glad you have something to look forward to on Saturday. :D

I can't WAIT!!! I am so excited. I have two sink fills from breakfast, and after doing school I'm a broken woman and just cannot face them...:D

DH LOVES to do dishes!

I help out, but really...he's the dish

washer in the house!

Now, a new dishwasher would be nice, but we have to pay for the new roof first. So, since DH doesn't mind coming home to mounds of dishes, we're holding off for another year or so.

!!! YOU are a blessed woman! That is too funny! And yeah, roof first. We did our roof last year. :grouphug:

Congrats on the new dishwasher. I have never had one my whole adult life. My kids rarely do dishes. A family of 5 uses a lot of dishes for every meal. I have debated if paper plates would be better for us, even if terrible for the environment. We don't even have room in the kitchen to put in a dishwasher if we wanted to.

It's not the plates the plates are easy, it's the utensils! I'm ready to give everyone a stick and a knife. Or chopsticks.

When our microwave broke three months ago, I said. I don't think we really use the the microwave for much more than reheating coffee. Miss is about 20 times a day. It was my timer, my clock, my lunch reheater, my fast cup of tea, my veggie steamer, bread proofer, oatmeal maker, place where I quickly hid dirty pots.

I'm so sorry I took you for granted microwave.

We lived without a microwave for about 3 months. I didn't miss it at all. When my Mom came to visit, she decided we needed a microwave so bought one. DH was happy. He missed it.

Dishwasher - we have had one every place we've lived. I use it as a very expensive drying rack for my handwashed/rinsed dishes.

Our dishwasher stopped working about a year ago. LOL We still have not bought a new one. I'm REALLY OCD about how my dishes are cleaned, so hand washing works better for me anyway. I hate how the dishwasher always left spots unless we uses a very specific soap that was near impossible to find here. I also hated how unless we basically prewashed them by completely scrubbing them clean, there would be food chunks left on the clean dishes. Might as well hand wash them since we were 3/4 of the way there anyway, right? Plus, if we only have a few dishes dirty, I don't feel like we are wasting water by running the dishwasher mostly empty.

It's not the plates the plates are easy, it's the utensils! I'm ready to give everyone a stick and a knife. Or chopsticks.

OMG I totally agree! I LOATHE doing the silverware and utensils! I have absolutely zero problem doing the plates, bowls, and glasses. lol I do those, DS does the pots and pans, and DH does the silverware/utensils.

I will cry tears of joy.

Btdt! It sure makes you appreciate modern conveniences! What will you do with the extra time?

Wow, I must be the odd one out. I have lived without a dishwasher until two months ago. I don't necessarily enjoy doing dishes but not one of the homes we have lived in had one and DH never wanted to spend the money. Our current home had one but it didn't work so Dh removed it and we lived with a gap in the cabinets for a few years; I was not happy. I finally convinced him to get a new dishwasher two months ago citing the savings of having to replace the cabinets.

I could take it or leave it. I can wash, dry and put the dishes away before this thing is through with the wash cycle. I always fill the sink with hot soapy water when I begin preparing a meal and wash the measuring spoons, pots, pans, etc as I go along. By the time the meal is ready all of the hard work is done. It's usually just the dinner- and silverware and maybe a couple of serving dishes left to wash. That's not enough to fill the dishwasher or justify running it.

I have used it to wash/sterilize baby toys. That's a bonus.

--

I do hope you enjoy your new dishwasher. Sounds like it will get lots of use. :)

I hope I don't sound snarky. I never know if my posts read the way I think them in my head.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

I used to miss having a dishwasher, but then I lived in a house with no plumbing in the kitchen. I moved from that house a year ago, but I am still grateful every.single.time I turn on the tap in the kitchen and both hot and cold water come out. Even better, there is a drain to take it all away.

I said that when we moved into our current place nearly six years ago. We still don't have one.....but now darn it I DO buy those elbow-length gloves in pretty colors to wear while I do dishes. They somehow makes dishwashing less annoying.

But if you don't have gloves then you get to make someone else do dishes whenever you have the smallest, tinest cut on your hands.

Wow, I must be the odd one out. I have lived without a dishwasher until two months ago.

I have used it to wash/sterilize baby toys. That's a bonus.

--

I do hope you enjoy your new dishwasher. Sounds like it will get lots of use. :)

I hope I don't sound snarky. I never know if my posts read the way I think them in my head.

With 6 kids, and me cooking and cleaning for every meal, it's just overtaken he day. I hate wasting time doing dishes when I can be doing a hundred other things I need to do.

With 6 kids, and me cooking and cleaning for every meal, it's just overtaken he day. I hate wasting time doing dishes when I can be doing a hundred other things I need to do.

See, that's your problem. You cook. Skip cooking and you will have a lot less dishes to wash.

:tongue_smilie: :) :tongue_smilie: :)

(My kids for lunch ate raw fruit and vegetables today. I was busy cleaning other things and didn't want more dishes. )

"No really, when are you due?" After the woman had already told me she was fat, not pregnant.

I win. Right?

I think you are tied with my Mother. I was there for this one.

"What a cute GRAND daughter you have."

"She is my daughter."

"Surely you mean grand daughter."

She no longer assumes anything about age anymore.

See, that's your problem. You cook. Skip cooking and you will have a lot less dishes to wash.

:iagree::iagree: x 1000 Three meals?!? Wow. I cook ONE meal and even then, I don't do it every day. Breakfast is toast or cereal or whatever else they can grab themselves. Lunch is usually raw veggies with a sandwich or something easy. Supper - DH and I trade off. A lot of times, it's something easy like salads with some grilled chicken thrown in for protein. I cannot imagine cooking three full meals a day. Ever. I'd go on strike. :lol:

(My kids for lunch ate raw fruit and vegetables today. I was busy cleaning other things and didn't want more dishes. )

I am teaching them to cook, but for some reason, that requires more of everything! :D

"No really, when are you due?" After the woman had already told me she was fat, not pregnant.

I win. Right?

Awww! YOu meant no insult, I'm sure!

I think you are tied with my Mother. I was there for this one.

"What a cute GRAND daughter you have."

"She is my daughter."

"Surely you mean grand daughter."

She no longer assumes anything about age anymore.

Ohh man, you couldn't kick her under the table?

:iagree::iagree: x 1000 Three meals?!? Wow. I cook ONE meal and even then, I don't do it every day. Breakfast is toast or cereal or whatever else they can grab themselves. Lunch is usually raw veggies with a sandwich or something easy. Supper - DH and I trade off. A lot of times, it's something easy like salads with some grilled chicken thrown in for protein. I cannot imagine cooking three full meals a day. Ever. I'd go on strike.

Well, most lunches are reheating what we ate for dinner previously, but it's still a plate and utensils to wash.

The good new is that as usual, The Hive has some connection to the universe, and the plumber called and told me he'd be here tomorrow morning to hook up the new washer! We all cheered. :D

:iagree::iagree: x 1000 Three meals?!? Wow. I cook ONE meal and even then, I don't do it every day. Breakfast is toast or cereal or whatever else they can grab themselves. Lunch is usually raw veggies with a sandwich or something easy. Supper - DH and I trade off. A lot of times, it's something easy like salads with some grilled chicken thrown in for protein. I cannot imagine cooking three full meals a day. Ever. I'd go on strike. :lol:

I admit I do cook breakfast to order. You have a choice of options such as eggs, sausages, instant oatmeal, peanut butter toast. I cook and they eat for the first hour of school. We listen to a fairy tale for a bit, then we listen to the book I currently want them to listen to, right now "The Secret Garden".

Lunch is almost always not cooked, and usually dragged out throughout the day. So what might end up being eaten by my boys between breakfast and dinner; 1 sliced up tomatoe, 1 red pepper, 1 cucumber, 2 bananas, 2 oranges, some baby carrots, and pickled stuff ... cucumbers, beets, turnips, ... and organizational dried stuff ... apples, grapes, mangoes... also dried seaweed the kind used when making sushi has at times been very popular. They can also help themselves to bread or crackers if they want. My youngest also usually eats a lot of yogurt.

Then when dinner comes around I don't have to worry about making sure they have a well balanced dinner. By this time they have already had enough servings of fruits and vegetables and thanks to breakfast some protein. So dinner is usually one or two things. Such as 'chicken' and plain rice.

Then sometime between dinner and bed I make a smoothy with lots of yogurt and some spinach for those of us in the family who don't eat yogurt.

(The reason I put some meat names in 'quotes' is because we are vegetarian )

Oh my, I must be in a blabber mouth mood this morning. I think it is also related to the fact my kids are really into an audio book in the other room so I have no kids talking to me this morning. It's odd. Very odd.

So, since DH doesn't mind coming home to mounds of dishes,

:lol: Now there is a phrase you never expect to see!

My dh used to say he grew up in a house with two dishwashers, himself and his brother. He thinks our kids should wash dishes, but then he won't eat off them. ;)

Justamouse, congrats on your new dishwasher!