Menu

Unofficial Poll: How well does your 11 year old Spell/Write

kolamum

How Well Can Your Child Spell  

1. 1. How Well Can Your Child Spell

• Poorly -- less then 50% of the words correct most the time.
    • Fairly -- about 70-75% of the words correct most of the time.
    • Fairly -- about 70-75% of the words correct most of the time.
    • Excellent -- 90-95% of the words correct most of the time
    • Outstanding -- 100% of the words correct most of the time.

How well can your 11 year old spell & write, & when they write do they just automatically write the word or do you hear them sounding it out as they go? Furthermore, when you ask them to write do they ask you do pitch in & write what they say or are they keen to write it all themselves?

Edited by kolamum

I have an 11 year old who's spelling is probably in the Fair range for typical writing without assistance, but in the Good to Excellent range when he stops to think about it.

I'm curious to see where other 11 year olds stand. I've always thought my child was below average. I happen to have an 11 year old niece who emails me, though. I won't say what her parents think of her in regards to her academic career, but let's just say it's WAY up there. She'd be in the same range as my own child.

Sometimes I giggle as I read the email because I realise I misread a word once I get to the end of her sentences. It doesn't bother me at all that she spells poorly when she writes to me. I'm happy that she chooses to write & ask me questions & share news with me.

I'm not comparing the two children, it was just a realization that perhaps I don't give my own child enough credit for his own ability. Which, honestly, shocks me a little bit & shames me a lot.

As for the later question..

My son was given a writing assignment today of describing himself. He described his apperance in regards to hair & eye color, length of nails, etc. Things he knew off the top of his head or things he could easily look at himself & see. But then he stopped & asked me to write now.

At first I was a little put out with him, but in hindsight i see that he needed a little guidance in regards to where to go with the assignment. I'm okay with that. I often help him with writing. As in I tell him to open the floor gate of words & let lose. Then I write it all down for him... or rather type because that child has so much stored up that he has to get out I can't write that fast either! ;)

So I'm curious, can your 11 year old sit & write a full on anything & do it to really well or does s/he do better if you write/type for him. My son wrote an amazingly well detailed narration of the book Heidi. BUT, I typed it while he spoke it. He had everything in perfect order, included amazing descriptions & so on. His grandmother adored reading it, & of course he was incredibly proud of it. Rightfully so too! But, as I mentioned he personally did not write/type it. I'm okay with that, for now, but I'm curious to see on the "normal" scale where he sits. ;)

My dd is 10.5yo in the 5th grade, so my response may not be what you are looking for.

When she writes on her own, she spells most of the words correctly without sounding them out.

When she types emails, she mispells a lot of words and misses punctuation. Her emails also don't flow very well. Her typing and composing skills are clearly behind her written composition skills.

When she writes and composes by herself, the result is much different than if I type/write for her. When I scribe, she can create fantastic narrations and summaries. She has great word choice and interesting sentence structure. I am impressed with what she can compose this way.

When she scribes, the result is clearly at a different level. She picks words she knows she can spell which limits her to blander words and simple sentences. This writing is much, much more difficult for her, and she does NOT like to do it.

This year I am running her through IEW SWI-A to *hopefully* give her confidence to move her physical writing closer to her mental composition. She is an anxious kid that I think will respond well to IEW's gradual steps and incremental successes.

Both my kids are natural spellers who, at age 11, rarely made any spelling mistakes. They do not sound it out, they write it and see if the word is correct (I spell the same way: if it is wrong, it looks weird)

Both were writing everything they wanted to say; they were also producing copious amounts of creative writing.

I voted poorly, but my dd isn't quite 11 yet, she'll turn 11 in mid Nov. She also had some issues that required vision therapy. If I scribe for her, she is an awesome writer, but we're still working on phonics and basic spelling because we've finally gotten to a point where she's reading at a mid 2nd grade level. I know she'll get there.

My 13 year old was a pretty ugly speller at 11, but he's come a long way in the past 2 years.

my daughter is in grade 5 and will be 11 next month. she is a fair speller, not great. her attempts at wrong words are always within the range of acceptable though (i.e. you can tell what she was trying to spell). her best friend is in 6th grade and spells even worse, so i'm honestly not sure if my expectations are even reasonable. i don't know if the average 5th grader should be able to spell really well or not? as for writing, she does fairly well. she still has grammatical typos, but she is comfortable putting pen to paper, so that makes me happy. we always make necessary corrections in her final drafts, so she is definitely learning the correct way to write.

I have an 11 year old who's spelling is probably in the Fair range for typical writing without assistance, but in the Good to Excellent range when he stops to think about it.

This describes my DS. I wasn't sure how to vote. If he just sits down and writes a paragraph, it will be full of ridiculous spelling errors. His organization will be so-so, but not stellar. If I gave him a spelling test, he gets everything or almost everything correct every time. If he's writing a paragraph for dedicated writing assignment (as opposed to writing for himself, or writing as part of the assignment in another subject) he writes paragraphs that have excellent organization, on topic, good transitions, and all that.

I don't know how to motivate him to do excellent work all the time and in every subject. I'm hoping it will come with maturity and because he'll get tired of re-doing everything. He doesn't sound things out most of the time when spelling but sometimes will for a difficult newer word during a test.

My 11yo can spell well--I almost never see spelling mistakes from her, but sitting down and completing a writing assignment? :banghead: I'm pretty sure she is below average in that department.

I really need to get her writing more...

ETA: My dd is a perfectionist, and I find she actually does worse when I try to scribe for her. She gets hung up on saying things exactly the right way, and I get impatient with all the humming and hawing and not actually saying anything that she does. I feel like her compositions are better if she's just left alone to think about what she wants to write.

Edited by bonniebeth4

Based on my recollection of 12yo from last year, I voted for fair speller. I don't remember her sounding them out last year, but I did hear her syllabicating them. She wrote her own papers, and would probably have been mortified and/or offended if I told her I was going to write her paper as she told it to me.

That's my son! He uses AMAZING words, beautiful sentence structure, & things I had no idea he knew when I type/write for him!! When he does it on his own, that's another story all together. ;)

Exactly! All those years of listing to great literature and oral narrations has paid off since she can compose wonderful things. The problems is that she struggles scribing her compositions. This year my goal is to, hopefully, get her writing better. I know it is in there, we just have to figure out how to get it out through her fingertips.

My older two were natural spellers, and didn't need any spelling instruction beyond basic phonics.

My current 11 year old is an advanced math student, but a poor speller and writer. He had the exact same level and type of instruction that his sisters had. He's just a different type of learner. He's been improving dramatically since we started using LOE this summer, and he's had no trouble with the first two weeks of WWS, but I think he's still a bit below 75% correct.

I suspect he'll be up to speed by the end of this year.

I would say, in my less modest moments, that my DS11 is generally a very talented boy. He excels in math, loves science, has picked up French and Latin easily, he's creative, articulate and funny. But his writing stinks. Yes, it all just comes pouring out in one great stream of consciousness, sometimes without even full-stops and capital letters :eek:. I've tried all I can; I'm hoping that with time and effort it'll all come together in the end.

I would say, in my less modest moments, that my DS11 is generally a very talented boy. He excels in math, loves science, has picked up French and Latin easily, he's creative, articulate and funny. But his writing stinks. Yes, it all just comes pouring out in one great stream of consciousness, sometimes without even full-stops and capital letters :eek:. I've tried all I can; I'm hoping that with time and effort it'll all come together in the end.

:lol: Thank you so much for sharing that. I know it's probably not funny to you, but it's always such a huge relief for me to hear about other people's asynchronous kids.

I remember once reading someone's post about how one of her goals for her gifted 14yo that year was to get him writing on the proper side of the paper, with the margin on the LEFT side. It made me feel so much better about my then 9yo, who had no clue that there was a difference between the two sides of the paper. She's got front and back figured out now. Hopefully the rest will come with maturity, too. :grouphug:

Thanks for responding. :)

So my 11 year old did poorly on his test today. He was so upset with himself over it, but his charming younger sibling was highly distracting today too. I set him up with his spelling list with the BugAloo Jr app & he did great with that. Ho-hum.

I asked him if he NEEDED to sound out words or if he spelled them often enough he wouldn't need to. His response was, "I never thought of NOT sounding them out." :lol:

I know I was a terrible speller for many years & it drove my mother insane {I was homeschooled}, but when I took up typing seeing the constant spellcheck kick in changed a LOT of that.